Pope (yes I know the horse is dead, but humor me)

I don’t care if Wiggins is fast and if Pope gets open. They both can’t catch **** and are soft mentally and physically. It’s time to move on to the young guys. X, Rambo, Smith, Redding, and the freshmen coming in. See what Daz could do too.

Advertisement
So the only thing anyone will remember about Pope's performance today is the horrific early drop. But the reality is that after that he was our leading receiver for the day, with 6-115, all against the 1s on defense as far as I can remember.

So he's a guy that can still help this offense. But here's what scares the crap out of me.

Let's say we're defying the odds and hanging with Bama. We're down 24-20 in the 4th and Bama's driving, trying to put the game away but 'Rique comes up with a pick in the end zone.

The very next play Lashlee dials up something he's been waiting for all game, a wheel route, just like today, and a WR is breaking free. D'eriq lays out a beautiful ball and the WR just has to run under it and it's an 80 yd TD and we take the lead. Then we see who the WR is... And it's #6.

What happens? Does he catch it? Do we know? Does he know? Does Lashlee know? No. No one has any idea. He might catch it. It might doink right off his hands. It's a coin flip.

If he drops it, our chances of winning the game become daunting, if not infeasible. That ball has to be caught.. That situation HAS to be capitalized on in this situation. It's a program-defining moment.

So the question is, can we afford to role the dice with Pope in that situation? Can we put ourselves in that position? Can we put Mark Pope in that position? What do you do with a guy who clearly has talent and can help your team but you can't trust in crucial situations? I honestly don't have the answer. I don't know if you can compartmentalize your offense and strategy to protect him from those situations.
Against top teams u can’t have drops like that. If the coaches keep playing him and 8 just ******* quit the season

So the only thing anyone will remember about Pope's performance today is the horrific early drop. But the reality is that after that he was our leading receiver for the day, with 6-115, all against the 1s on defense as far as I can remember.

So he's a guy that can still help this offense. But here's what scares the crap out of me.

Let's say we're defying the odds and hanging with Bama. We're down 24-20 in the 4th and Bama's driving, trying to put the game away but 'Rique comes up with a pick in the end zone.

The very next play Lashlee dials up something he's been waiting for all game, a wheel route, just like today, and a WR is breaking free. D'eriq lays out a beautiful ball and the WR just has to run under it and it's an 80 yd TD and we take the lead. Then we see who the WR is... And it's #6.

What happens? Does he catch it? Do we know? Does he know? Does Lashlee know? No. No one has any idea. He might catch it. It might doink right off his hands. It's a coin flip.

If he drops it, our chances of winning the game become daunting, if not infeasible. That ball has to be caught.. That situation HAS to be capitalized on in this situation. It's a program-defining moment.

So the question is, can we afford to role the dice with Pope in that situation? Can we put ourselves in that position? Can we put Mark Pope in that position? What do you do with a guy who clearly has talent and can help your team but you can't trust in crucial situations? I honestly don't have the answer. I don't know if you can compartmentalize your offense and strategy to protect him from those situations.

If you play him, he has to be managed carefully. Maybe he can be on the field for 1st and 2nd down. No chance I'd throw the ball to him on 3rd. Still an opportunity to contribute but also minimize the potential damage.

Advertisement

The yards weren't all against the 1 defense. I taped the game to rewatch later. I'll take more note.

I don't hate Pope. I just wouldn't trust him in crucial situations.
I’ve been hard on Pope for awhile , I was never that big on him as a player but I rooted for him. Even last year I thought he’d play well after his spring. Fact is he’s a average starter at best. His hands and confidence are the issue and they go together. He’s in year four and still using his chest to catch the ball. At this point there’s no reason to dog him or Wiggins. They are what they are. If they amazingly learn to catch and have good years great , but everyone needs to move on.

Advertisement
The Office No GIF
Minions No GIF
Austin Powers No GIF

I don't hate Pope. I just wouldn't trust him in crucial situations.
I don’t believe you hate Pope. And I don’t trust him in crucial situations either.

There is more than one component to being a good WR and Pope has become very good at one of them: getting separation. With the WR room we currently have and have had recently, that’s enough to see playing time. If the new enrollees can make it where his particular strength alone is no longer enough to see playing time then he will be benched. Pope still has value going into fall camp. I see him running free a lot, and if he is gonna be on the field, then I’m rooting for him to catch the ball every time he gets an opportunity.

I guess the seperation Pope creates is the key to the seemingly endless opportunities he receives. Would love to see Smith given the same reps.
****, even when King was calling plays Pope got multiple targets. It's like everyone sees the potential and wants to get him untracked.
Potential means you ain’t done it yet and in both 6 and 8 they’ve been given a multitude of chances and ain’t done it yet..

time to try someone else’s “ potential “.

Rambo looks like our best receiver. I would roll with Rambo, Harley, Restrepo, and Smith.

I don't think Pope or Wiggins give us anything that those four don't. They were given 3 1/2 years to earn their spots, and now they've been passed up. We need WR out there who are dependable and can catch the ball with consistency. It is what it is with Pope/Wiggins at this point - they've never been consistent, and they're not ever going to be.

Advertisement
I’ve been hard on Pope for awhile , I was never that big on him as a player but I rooted for him. Even last year I thought he’d play well after his spring. Fact is he’s a average starter at best. His hands and confidence are the issue and they go together. He’s in year four and still using his chest to catch the ball. At this point there’s no reason to dog him or Wiggins. They are what they are. If they amazingly learn to catch and have good years great , but everyone needs to move on.
I like Manny an what he's doing seems like he fixes everything that's broken an it's starting add up to something special. But **** Pope an Wiggins not putting they self on the field I'm sure they know there not very good an there confidence has to be beat at this point. But once season starts if there still playing then ***** at the coaches for playing them. We see Rambo, X, Smith, Harley, Redding are better hopefully there just out there cause it's spring. Can't tell me Brinson isn't better too an probably George an Breshard too. Kinda feel for the kids at this point we get it they suck up to the coaches to not play them come Fall!

On the deep ball Pope did catch, he absolutely embarrassed Gurvan Hall. Spun him around on the route.

Now, in typical spring fashion....idk if Gurvan is a JAG and played it horribly, or if Pope is an amazing route runner.

Look at the play, and tell me what you think CIS.

Unfortunately Pope is a proven Greentree All-American but when the light comes to shine he is a choke artist. Clutch is not in his vocab he has shown me he doesn’t have it when it counts, in the friggin game. So get your degree and move aside. He should only sniff the field with Wiggins in mop up duty.

Semper Canes!!!

Advertisement
On the deep ball Pope did catch, he absolutely embarrassed Gurvan Hall. Spun him around on the route.

Now, in typical spring fashion....idk if Gurvan is a JAG and played it horribly, or if Pope is an amazing route runner.

Look at the play, and tell me what you think CIS.
You never want your safety 1 on 1 with a WR in man. That's on the coverage. It was vanilla on both sides.

Well, to me it's like this. Pope is a good kid. I hope he gets his degree and succeeds in life whatever he chooses to do. Plays like his game winner at VT and his contested deep ball catch vs NCstate last year wont be forgotten. With all that said, his time has come and gone. It's time for the other guys to make their mark(no pun intended) and create their own great legacy.

Forget It Starz GIF by Power

Advertisement
Back