Podcast with Brad Kaaya

View as article
Your premise is completely wrong. If you don't see that, how can someone explain it to you?

Your insinuating he has no room to improve.

Thats ****ing stupid.

Then again, I should know better by now.
Do you not see how they are picking his game apart?
"He doesn't drive the ball"
"Lots of underthrown balls"
"Erratic when pressured"
"Lack of arm strength"
"No feel of pressure"
"Not athletic enough"
This is what they are saying and would keep even next year. Statiscally he had a great year this year but everyone is saying he didn't play good. Stop trying to insult someone for having a different opinion than you, now move the fvck on

Do you not realize 4 of those things you listed are directly about him maneuvering the pocket under pressure.

"he doesn't drive the ball" - This wouldn't change too much, but his throw isn't going to get weaker. It actually reasonable that he would get stronger after another yr, which could translate to some more velocity on his throws. Even so, coming back wouldn't hurt this, it could only improve.

"lots of underthrown balls" - This is semi-related to the first point. But he does have good touch on his deep throws. One of his problems is he throws off his back foot, due to the poor habits he got in due to all the pressure he was getting, which leads to underthrown balls because he doesn't have enough arm strength to zip balls in while falling backwards. So even this can be improved by just improving his footwork and how he handles pressure.

"erratic when pressured" - well this is basically his biggest downfall. This is what he needs to improve. His footwork under pressure is terrible, and needs to be improved. But again, give him another yr here and i think he's more likely to improve than not improve at all.

"lack of arm strength" - Sure. But he has a good enough arm to be an NFL qb. He's not Jamarcus Russell, but he's also not Colt McCoy either.

"no feel of pressure" - again, this goes back to his performance under pressure, which i believe is the main thing he needed to work on.

"not athletic enough" - once again this is all about how he handles pressure and how his footwork breaksdown. Well that and he looks robotic when he moves. Saying he's not athletic enough isn't saying he needs to be able to scramble from first downs, its saying he needs to be able to avoid pressure in the pocket.

So in summation, if every aspect of his game stayed the same, except for how well he handles pressure, there is no question in my mind that he'd be at least a 2nd round pick.

I'm just saying from viewing all the news from the draft scouts that's what they keep saying. I've been saying for the longest those guys are just running with a narrative to see if it sticks as kaaya clearly doesn't have as weak of an arm as they try to insinuate

uh idk about that. Compare his arm to Mahomes and there is a major difference. Kizer and Webb have the next strongest arms in this draft. I'd say those 3 are top tier arm strength guys.

Then Trubisky is at the top of the 2nd tier of arm strength with Kaaya and Watson following behind.
YeH mahomes arm is just overwhelming. His arm is a lot stronger than everyone.
My rank based on arm strength is
Mahomes
Webb
Kizer
Trubisky
Kaaya
Watson
Peterman

Advertisement
Do you not see how they are picking his game apart?
"He doesn't drive the ball"
"Lots of underthrown balls"
"Erratic when pressured"
"Lack of arm strength"
"No feel of pressure"
"Not athletic enough"
This is what they are saying and would keep even next year. Statiscally he had a great year this year but everyone is saying he didn't play good. Stop trying to insult someone for having a different opinion than you, now move the fvck on

Do you not realize 4 of those things you listed are directly about him maneuvering the pocket under pressure.

"he doesn't drive the ball" - This wouldn't change too much, but his throw isn't going to get weaker. It actually reasonable that he would get stronger after another yr, which could translate to some more velocity on his throws. Even so, coming back wouldn't hurt this, it could only improve.

"lots of underthrown balls" - This is semi-related to the first point. But he does have good touch on his deep throws. One of his problems is he throws off his back foot, due to the poor habits he got in due to all the pressure he was getting, which leads to underthrown balls because he doesn't have enough arm strength to zip balls in while falling backwards. So even this can be improved by just improving his footwork and how he handles pressure.

"erratic when pressured" - well this is basically his biggest downfall. This is what he needs to improve. His footwork under pressure is terrible, and needs to be improved. But again, give him another yr here and i think he's more likely to improve than not improve at all.

"lack of arm strength" - Sure. But he has a good enough arm to be an NFL qb. He's not Jamarcus Russell, but he's also not Colt McCoy either.

"no feel of pressure" - again, this goes back to his performance under pressure, which i believe is the main thing he needed to work on.

"not athletic enough" - once again this is all about how he handles pressure and how his footwork breaksdown. Well that and he looks robotic when he moves. Saying he's not athletic enough isn't saying he needs to be able to scramble from first downs, its saying he needs to be able to avoid pressure in the pocket.

So in summation, if every aspect of his game stayed the same, except for how well he handles pressure, there is no question in my mind that he'd be at least a 2nd round pick.

I'm just saying from viewing all the news from the draft scouts that's what they keep saying. I've been saying for the longest those guys are just running with a narrative to see if it sticks as kaaya clearly doesn't have as weak of an arm as they try to insinuate

uh idk about that. Compare his arm to Mahomes and there is a major difference. Kizer and Webb have the next strongest arms in this draft. I'd say those 3 are top tier arm strength guys.

Then Trubisky is at the top of the 2nd tier of arm strength with Kaaya and Watson following behind.
YeH mahomes arm is just overwhelming. His arm is a lot stronger than everyone.
My rank based on arm strength is
Mahomes
Webb
Kizer
Trubisky
Kaaya
Watson
Peterman

Id probably switch Webb and Kizer. But yeah thats probably how it ranks. But I think the difference between the top 3 and Kaaya/Watson is pretty big.

Thank the almighty for Bard leaving the program in much better shape than he found it.

Maybe it's me, but I felt a little better after the 2016 Russell Athletic Bowl than the 2013 edition.

Richt and his staff are the main reason for this momentum. Kaaya never claimed to be responsible. He simply said that he was confident in the direction of the program and happy to go off on a good note. I'd say 70% passing, 4 TDs and 0 INTs in our first bowl win in a decade qualifies.

Is he on Mount Rushmore with Dorsey, Steve Walsh and the rest? Of course not. But he's a good player and I'm glad we signed him. Lord knows how bad we would've been without him.

Anybody that doesn't see the shape we are in today, versus the shape we were in when Kaaya first came in, is so filled with hate it's clouded their perception of reality.

It's just not even a question. Only an idiot wouldn't see the program is in better shape. As a matter fact, it's in much better shape.

Say what you want about his limitations as an athlete, for the rest just refer to Franchise's post. I wish I had posted that myself to be honest.

The program appears to be headed in the right direction. However, that has nothing to do with Kayaa and his mediocre tenure here.

D-ummy's claim is ridiculous. Even he knows that.

Last edited:
Thank the almighty for Bard leaving the program in much better shape than he found it.

Maybe it's me, but I felt a little better after the 2016 Russell Athletic Bowl than the 2013 edition.

Richt and his staff are the main reason for this momentum. Kaaya never claimed to be responsible. He simply said that he was confident in the direction of the program and happy to go off on a good note. I'd say 70% passing, 4 TDs and 0 INTs in our first bowl win in a decade qualifies.

Is he on Mount Rushmore with Dorsey, Steve Walsh and the rest? Of course not. But he's a good player and I'm glad we signed him. Lord knows how bad we would've been without him.

Anybody that doesn't see the shape we are in today, versus the shape we were in when Kaaya first came in, is so filled with hate it's clouded their perception of reality.

It's just not even a question. Only an idiot wouldn't see the program is in better shape. As a matter fact, it's in much better shape.

Say what you want about his limitations as an athlete, for the rest just refer to Franchise's post. I wish I had posted that myself to be honest.

The program appears to be headed in the right direction. However, that has nothing to do with Kayla and his mediocre tenure here.

Rick will turn this around regardless. But he was part of it. To say otherwise, to not at least acknowledge that he was part of the group that contributed, is pure dumbfūckery. Saying otherwise is retarded.

The program appears to be headed in the right direction. However, that has nothing to do with Kayla and his mediocre tenure here.

What? Who knows how we would be doing recruiting wise if kaaya didn't turn it around in the bowl game beating a top ranked team or go on a 5 game win streak to close the season...

Advertisement
Gotta love people bashing the best QB we have had since Dorsey. Kid ain't perfect player but he was **** good. If you are the leading passer all time anywhere you were at the worst a very good player. Kaaya would of been a top 40 draft pick if he had had richt for 3 years and not 3 offensive cordinators and 2 head coaches. Some team in the 3rd or 4th round is going to get a future starter. Don't know if he will be great but at worst he will be servicable as a starter.

You think it's a guarantee his stock would have declined. It's a possibility, sure. It's also a possibility he would have improved on what's on the film: what scouts and anyone can see are problems in the pocket. Improve that film and he may have not only improved his stock, but also his chances of hanging around the league a little longer than the risk he's currently taking. Will he make it now? Who knows. Will he have made it if he stayed and improved? Who knows. However, you're speaking as if you absolutely know his stock would have declined if he stayed. That is merely an opinion.

Maybe, but you know as I know kaaya is who he is. Why risk playing with your future like that. He will be drafted im at least the first 4 rounds. It's easy to sit back and say it's a dumb decision when you aren't the player because it doesn't serve the Miami fans best interest but at the end of the day sometimes you got to take those chances.
No, I don't know that. Again, you're stating Kaaya "is who he is" and could not improve his stock by putting different film out or perhaps winning important games. You've assumed I think it's a mistake because it'd serve my (fan) interests and not Kaaya's. These are assumptions being passed as facts.
That's certainly sounds like what you are saying to me.
What? You're saying I'm stating assumptions? I am. I'm giving my opinion. I'm not passing it off as an absolute, which is different than what you are doing.

This is ******* priceless.

Gotta love people bashing the best QB we have had since Dorsey. Kid ain't perfect player but he was **** good. If you are the leading passer all time anywhere you were at the worst a very good player. Kaaya would of been a top 40 draft pick if he had had richt for 3 years and not 3 offensive cordinators and 2 head coaches. Some team in the 3rd or 4th round is going to get a future starter. Don't know if he will be great but at worst he will be servicable as a starter.

The best QB since Dorsey... what an accomplishment. We've really trotted out some real quality quarterbacks the last decade plus. Aren't his and Jacory's W/L records nearly the same if not the exact same? Didn't Jacory actually beat Florida State and have multiple game winning drives in the final seconds, something Kaaya has zero of?

I have never seen any player in this program ever receive the protection from fans that Kaaya gets. He did no wrong.

I hope the podcast is better than the thread .....D$ loving Kaaya and Brock being Brock....... shocking.

Both JHall and Chise captured the main points pages ago. CIS hyped the **** out of the kid and he never lived up to the Messiah tag. Dude fought hard and I wish him luck.

Advertisement
Absolutely love this weird state the fanbase is in of praising Kaaya now that he's gone. Has everyone just decided to pretend we weren't completely ******* sick of his inconsistent, erratic play throughout the season? Spare me this nonsense about him leaving the program in a better place than when he found it, because if it weren't for the defense this year, it would have been another awful year and anyone with half a brain should be able to recognize that. He looked much better toward the end of the season, but he certainly deserves his fair share of blame for that four loss streak (playcalling, o-line probably take the lion's share). I and many others (who have apparently forgotten) were sick to our stomachs watching him overthrow WRs and casually trotting off the field with his "aw, shucks" look after yet another three and out. Even in the RAB, the last game of the season, for most of the first half he was absolutely putrid until Ahmmon took a short pass to the house and Kaaya finally pulled his head out of his *** afterward. Never struggling to put up his numbers after the defense has already struggled to stop the other team from scoring and getting ahead because the defense was severely winded after getting a whopping three-play rest. Again, I would never say any of that is "100%" his fault, but some of you acting like he was some great QB for us need to snap the fvck out of it and go watch some actual game tape.

Even with all that said, though, I would never call him "soft" or "weak." The guy definitely put up with a lot of **** considering our terrible oline and awful defense while Dorito was calling plays. But please stop with this crap about him being some savior, it's BS and you all know it. Not to mention all the nonsense he has said in interviews since declaring.

I truly hope he ends up having a great pro career, because I have no personal ill will towards the guy and it would look good for Miami as well in the long run. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
Just listened to the Podcast.

My objective opinion on what I heard:

Kaaya started year 1 because Golden gave Coley the power to make the call. And Coley wanted "his guy".

Kaaya left early because he sees the draft class as a weak enough class that he'll land in a good spot. He's also not worried where he will be drafted, but knows he will be drafted.

Kaaya was committed to Golden, Coley, and Scott. And, while he respects Richt, he doesn't have any connection to him.

Kaaya suggesting the team can win 10 or 11 games with his back-ups starting annoys the **** out of me. That, effectively, means he must believe the team would win more if he stayed.

So, the fact that's he's leaving early for a mid-round draft spot over winning at a high level in college is exactly why I don't care how well he does as a pro. (Might be some subjectivity in that comment. Lol)

Advertisement

this right here

If you can't at least respect Kaaya as a Cane and for what he did here, putting up with all the BS and giving it his all in order to improve our program, then you're not a real cane.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back