PODCAST: QB Carousel Ft. Roman Marciante and Mark-Antony Richards

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The biggest takeaway from a 77-0 victory over FCS Savannah State was that all 4 Miami QB's got playing time, with N'Kosi Perry, Cade Weldon, and Jarren Williams all making their collegiate debuts. Who better to break all the action down than our own resident QB coach, Roman Marciante? Later, Wellington High ATH Mark-Antony Richards rejoins the show to update the latest in his recruitment (Link Below).

QB Carousel Ft. Roman Marciante and Mark-Antony Richards

Advertisement
Great kid! Very impressive. Bright, engaging and mature beyond his years. It was good hearing him talk about being excited to play DB here but when the subject shifts to offense you can just feel the kid light up. I see this as an Auburn/Miami battle and to be honest Malzahn pushing for him on offense on what Richards says is his favorite offense in college football is a bit concerning to me. We can't afford to miss on Mark-Antony. Now if we are able to sign him and add Battle as well we will have a Safety unit consisting of
Amari Carter
Gurvan Hall
Keontre Smith
Jordan Battle
Mark-Antony Richards

Now those are Miami caliber safeties!

Last edited:
Great kid! Very impressive. Bright, engaging and mature beyond his years. It was good hearing him talk about being excited to play DB here but when the subject shifts to offense you can just feel the kid light up. I see this as an Auburn/Miami battle and to be honest Malzahn pushing for him on offense on what Richards says is his favorite offense in college football is a bit concerning to me. We can't afford to miss on Mark-Antony. Now if we are able to sign him and add Battle as well we will have a Safety unit consisting of
Amari Carter
Gurvan Hall
Keontre Smith
Jordan Battle
Mark-Antony Richards

We aren’t getting Battle. He doesn’t want to be here and it’s clear. Time to move on. Nunn is who we are going after.

Advertisement
Roman's take on the potential of QB transfers is spot on. I've mentioned this in other threads that Richt is juggling the QB room to try and insure the QB depth is not depleted due to transfers.

All the while, buying time to get the best possible evals of all the QB's on the roster.

Roman's take on the potential of QB transfers is spot on. I've mentioned this in other threads that Richt is juggling the QB room to try and insure the QB depth is not depleted due to transfers.

All the while, buying time to get the best possible evals of all the QB's on the roster.

. Further underscores the need for Richt to bring in a qb this cycle. One of Perry/Weldon is gonna transfer, maybe both, and we’ll only have 1-2 scholarship QBs on the roster.

Edit: Stefan just said this later in the podcast lol

I was with you at one point. I figured it HAD TO BE the only reason Richt was sticking with Row-sure. But if any of those guys plan to transfer because they weren't named starter, it won't matter when Richt names a starter. Even waiting until the last possible second to name a starter next season can not prevent transfers.

LSU lost two quarterbacks days before their season started. Same with Hockman announcing his transfer days before little brother's season started. There is nothing preventing any of our QBs from saying all the right things about whats best for the team and bouncing 24 hours after Richt names his guy.

If the fear of transfers is what is preventing a QB switch, Richt is delaying the inevitable.

Advertisement

If they're gonna transfer, they're gonna transfer.

I'd rather know sooner rather than later so we can bring in a grad transfer, juco, HS recruit... It's the nature of the beast, you can't keep guys here forever, and can't keep them against their will. You play the best guys and recruit more to fill in behind them.

Trying to play games with kids' heads is no way to run a railroad. Give the guys who earn it and show upside the reps to allow them a chance to improve and earn the job, then play the guy who earns the job and let the rest take care of itself.

You guys are both great posters, but I'm with @SCarolina Ibis on this one.

gcq05.jpg

The biggest takeaway from a 77-0 victory over FCS Savannah State was that all 4 Miami QB's got playing time, with N'Kosi Perry, Cade Weldon, and Jarren Williams all making their collegiate debuts. Who better to break all the action down than our own resident QB coach, Roman Marciante? Later, Wellington High ATH Mark-Antony Richards rejoins the show to update the latest in his recruitment (Link Below).

QB Carousel Ft. Roman Marciante and Mark-Antony Richards

Solid podcast, even though I'm only a few minutes in. Hoping to finish up tonight.

Stef the Chef cookin up what the people want!! Roman keepin it real and telling it how it is.

Really makes you wonder, is Richt lying to all of us, and if so, why? Or, does he really believe what he says, while ALLLLLLL the rest of us see something totally different? Still scratching my head... Guess we'll see what we see on Saturday.

I'd rather know sooner rather than later so we can bring in a grad transfer, juco, HS recruit... It's the nature of the beast, you can't keep guys here forever, and can't keep them against their will. You play the best guys and recruit more to fill in behind them.

Trying to play games with kids' heads is no way to run a railroad. Give the guys who earn it and show upside the reps to allow them a chance to improve and earn the job, then play the guy who earns the job and let the rest take care of itself.

the issue i see is, if he is worried by transfers why the **** is he not recruiting more qbs and looking at juco targets?
if the reason he keeps using malik is really because he fears transfers but at the same time he isn't recruiting more qbs, i don't know if there is a bigger corch move than that

Advertisement
Great episode! I look forward to Perry's growth over these next few games.

I'm also a big fan of Jarren Wiliams. Very excited to see what he can do over the next few years.

I was with you at one point. I figured it HAD TO BE the only reason Richt was sticking with Row-sure. But if any of those guys plan to transfer because they weren't named starter, it won't matter when Richt names a starter. Even waiting until the last possible second to name a starter next season can not prevent transfers.

LSU lost two quarterbacks days before their season started. Same with Hockman announcing his transfer days before little brother's season started. There is nothing preventing any of our QBs from saying all the right things about whats best for the team and bouncing 24 hours after Richt names his guy.

If the fear of transfers is what is preventing a QB switch, Richt is delaying the inevitable.
Solid podcast, even though I'm only a few minutes in. Hoping to finish up tonight.

Stef the Chef cookin up what the people want!! Roman keepin it real and telling it how it is.

Really makes you wonder, is Richt lying to all of us, and if so, why? Or, does he really believe what he says, while ALLLLLLL the rest of us see something totally different? Still scratching my head... Guess we'll see what we see on Saturday.
Excellent points by both of you. I'm just trying to

Excellent points by both of you guys. I'm just trying to come up with some idea/s as to why Richt seems hesitant to make the switch. Not making excuses as to why, just making observations based on what we see and hear.

The LSU situation is a great example as to what can happen. We don't know that would be the case in our situation, but it's certainly possible. Are there grad transfer worth pursuing? Are there Juco transfers worth pursuing? Is Richt considering all these scenarios? Many questions and much speculation. With all the experience Richt has, I can't imagine he isn't taking all things into consideration.

Excellent points by both of you. I'm just trying to

Excellent points by both of you guys. I'm just trying to come up with some idea/s as to why Richt seems hesitant to make the switch. Not making excuses as to why, just making observations based on what we see and hear.

The LSU situation is a great example as to what can happen. We don't know that would be the case in our situation, but it's certainly possible. Are there grad transfer worth pursuing? Are there Juco transfers worth pursuing? Is Richt considering all these scenarios? Many questions and much speculation. With all the experience Richt has, I can't imagine he isn't taking all things into consideration.

EXACTLY. Nothing about it makes sense!

The UNC is the game we all have circled. If a move hasn't been made by then, I'm just gonna have to take a break from reading about all things QB for a while. At that point, Idk if I can handle reading about what Malik is still trying to fix/figure out, 9 days before FSU.

Advertisement
Amari Carter
Gurvan Hall
Keontre Smith
Jordan Battle
Mark-Antony Richards

Feeling him light up was in your head. He had energy throughout the entire thing. Not saying he may or may not inside still want to play offense over defense but his excitement did not change. I think it is just people around here have it so in their head that this staff is making mistakes and can't get anything right that they are projecting things now.

I did find it interesting that he wants to dive deeper into academics and wanting to focus on what schools can offer there. I wish some of the questions would have dived a little deeper into what he is thinking about for his major and his life after football.

the issue i see is, if he is worried by transfers why the **** is he not recruiting more qbs and looking at juco targets?
if the reason he keeps using malik is really because he fears transfers but at the same time he isn't recruiting more qbs, i don't know if there is a bigger corch move than that

Exactly. We're at the point where it doesn't matter whether the answer to the Question is Option A or Option B. Both answers are Coach Not Doing Good Job.

AKA, we're fvcked unless Richt makes some staff changes to address this problem. Frankly, I don't think getting rid of Richt is an option at this point, unless we're willing to give someone a Jimbo type contract, AND shell out another $5M+ for assistants. At the end of the day, in my estimation, this is our real problem. Brent Venables is making over $2.25M/year. Our total assistant salary pool might not even top that.

EXACTLY. Nothing about it makes sense!

The UNC is the game we all have circled. If a move hasn't been made by then, I'm just gonna have to take a break from reading about all things QB for a while. At that point, Idk if I can handle reading about what Malik is still trying to fix/figure out, 9 days before FSU.

Dude, if we're reading articles the week before FSU about Rosier working on his balance, his footwork, his release point, or how wearing women's underwear and breathing through his eyelids helps him focus, I'm either drinking bleach or swearing off college football for good.

Serenity now...

I think it is just people around here have it so in their head that this staff is making mistakes and can't get anything right that they are projecting things now.

Now where would anyone get a crazy idea like that?

You are correct, of course, but it's also a very valid base assumption at this point.

Advertisement
Back