PODCAST: Pitt Stop ft. D$

View as article
Advertisement
Good listen. Just hope it keeps going with the offense. Defense definitely nothing to be confident about at this point.

Can I get some Cliff notes? Can't listen at work
CanesWear hype - lol
Not gonna root for losses
Great to see TVD play so well and his future. Talked a lot about his getting better every game, his size and tools, athletic ability, arm strength, attitude.
Young players contributions especially Kam’s tackle at the end of the game
Quality play by other O players - especially Knighton and Rambo. Encouraging to see the O starting to click better.
On to Pitt and Pickett and the issues we’ll face Sat.
Keys to the game Miami’s D against Pickett and our pass pro against Pitt’s pass rush.
Pitt may be without top WR and RB.
Pitt 7th in the country in total O.
Pitt 32nd in the country on D.
Concerns about Pitt’s crossing routes.
Limit big plays and pressure Pickett.
Our O needs to start fast and ease TVD into it early.
Our red zone D needs to buckle down.

Advertisement
If TVD pulls out a win on Saturday, this board will get Verrrrrrrry interesting. We are having different conversations at that point.

I saw the condensed game of Pitt v Clemson on YouTube, and our biggest weakness by far will be our mid-level defense vs. Kenny Pickett. He's improved significantly vs. last year in picking up the blitzing or stunting LB, and finding the crossing route 3-10 yards over the LOS in the middle of the field.

The only way we combat that is less blitzing, which isn't something Manny seems capable of. And when we do blitz, we need to disguise them better and come at him from the outside in, relying on our DTs to bring pressure in the middle. If we pull our normal Manny defense ****, with the LBs coming hard from inside Pickett's blinders, we're going to get torched.

Pickett still floats his pass to the sidelines. So we may have some opportunity to disrupt him on the outside. But at least vs. Clemson, he was rocketing those balls in the center and downfield, again, mostly off of reads. So our job has to be play sound fundamentals. I don't think we'll have enough time to get to him too often unless our DBs cover well. So this will be the biggest game of the season for our young backfield. They will be challenged often, along with Flagg and whatever other LBs we have covering the middle.

Their defense is somewhat suspect IMHO. I think Lashlee and DVD can put 30+ on them. This game comes down to Manny's scheme.

I saw the condensed game of Pitt v Clemson on YouTube, and our biggest weakness by far will be our mid-level defense vs. Kenny Pickett. He's improved significantly vs. last year in picking up the blitzing or stunting LB, and finding the crossing route 3-10 yards over the LOS in the middle of the field.

The only way we combat that is less blitzing, which isn't something Manny seems capable of. And when we do blitz, we need to disguise them better and come at him from the outside in, relying on our DTs to bring pressure in the middle. If we pull our normal Manny defense ****, with the LBs coming hard from inside Pickett's blinders, we're going to get torched.

Pickett still floats his pass to the sidelines. So we may have some opportunity to disrupt him on the outside. But at least vs. Clemson, he was rocketing those balls in the center and downfield, again, mostly off of reads, so our job has to be play sound fundamentals. I don't think we'll have enough time to get to him too often unless our DBs cover well. So this will be the biggest game of the season for our young backfield. They will be challenged often, along with Flagg and whatever other LBs we have covering the middle.
Manny gonna bring Bubba from the bench blitz.

Advertisement
Manny gonna bring Bubba from the bench blitz.

Honestly, Manny's defense has bugged the **** out of me ever since we collapsed against Pitt in 2017 then got stomped by Clemson and lost to a totally inferior Wisconsin in the bowl. I knew then and there that opposing coaches had figured him out. 2018 was blamed on Richt and Rozier/Perry. But Manny's defense smelled like unwashed underwear by then.

Per usual, excellent insight, fellas.

I’m with ya. It’s a fun time to be a fan still. Root for the young guns but can still be engaged if we lose as that means changeS coming!!!

Advertisement
For sure. There is no Lawrence type talents. But the kids up for the #1 pick usually don’t suck.

That being said, I smell a Rique pick tomorrow.

He’s good but not that good. He’s definitely improved his awareness, accuracy and arm strength based on what I saw in their Clemson game. If he fell to second or third round I’d take a hard look. I think he’s better than Trask for example. But not a first rounder IMHO.

And yes I am hoping for at least one pick tomorrow. He’s more than due especially on the perimeter and deep throws.

Advertisement
Back