PODCAST: Miami-Duke preview

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
realCIS.jpg

In this edition of the Canesinsight podcast presented by CanesWear, I recap Miami's win over Toledo and preview the Duke game with Adam Rowe of BlueDevils247.com

[SOUNDCLOUD]344195286[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Advertisement
Pete, any thoughts on making these podcasts with video?!? I personally like the audio/video combo...kind of get more into it with seeing the body language of the commentator and the back and forth discourse with guests on the show. Just a thought since I know other reporters do video segments. Good stuff all around though, great work, Primo...

Nice to hear him not describe his team with homer shades on like the Toledo Gazette guy. He said some things I've noticed watching the Duke UNC game over. Their DBs are slow and we should be able to exploit that and their pass coverage overall has looked meh. That bodes extremely well for us. I doubt their run D is as good as the stats make it look now, I am very interested in seeing how strong our OL and rushing attack looks against an actual defense, though, and not a BCU or Toledo.

Advertisement
My homer opinion: The legend of Malik Rosier grows Friday night and D finally makes a statement Miami 41 Duke 3.

Nice to hear him not describe his team with homer shades on like the Toledo Gazette guy. He said some things I've noticed watching the Duke UNC game over. Their DBs are slow and we should be able to exploit that and their pass coverage overall has looked meh. That bodes extremely well for us. I doubt their run D is as good as the stats make it look now, I am very interested in seeing how strong our OL and rushing attack looks against an actual defense, though, and not a BCU or Toledo.
Duke is 4-0 against teams that have a combine 2 wins vs FBS teams this season. Northwestern has both of those wins against mighty Nevada and Bowling Green. On the other hand we haven't played anyone any better than they have and our D's stats are pedestrian at best. I do not think however that their rush D is what it's advertised as.

That sounds familiar.

Advertisement
Need a good game from Rosier for sure.

If he plays like the last time he started away at Duke, we should be in good shape. This year, he has the benefit of 2 additional years of experience (2 more starts, 2 more years of coaching and observational experience). He's a slightly more polished product and just needs to play within himself.

I say this because I think it's possible that our defense may need another game or so to jell, so they may not be quite there yet. For whatever reason, coaching, defensive backfield inexperience/underperformance, or a combination of that and other things, we're going to need our offense to click to get through the next few games.

If somehow our defense turns it around this game, while it will still be important for him to perform well, he may not have to put it on his back.

Advertisement
The opening sequence with the Toledo guy was hilarious. Really like the lead snippet before the intro music.

I'm going down to Durham mane. Gotta watch Walton go for another 200 plus.

Think we rush for 300+ as a team.

Duke who has one of the best rush defenses in the country, I think Walton/Homer will have a solid game (not dominant) but Rosier will have a big night against their slow DBs.

Advertisement
If I'm Duke, I stack the box and make Rosier beat them. He probably will, but that's how to knock off Miami.

I'm going down to Durham mane. Gotta watch Walton go for another 200 plus.

Think we rush for 300+ as a team.

Duke who has one of the best rush defenses in the country, I think Walton/Homer will have a solid game (not dominant) but Rosier will have a big night against their slow DBs.

They have one of the best rush defenses against 4 teams that don't run the football. Let's be real here. Those three P5 powerhouses Duke beat are a combined 3-8 with impressive wins against monster programs like Nevada, Bowling Green, and Old Dominion. Those three teams would be struggling in the Sun Belt this year. Duke scored two touchdowns LESS against Baylor than Liberty did.

Not that our competition has been markedly better, but does anyone believe that Toledo wouldn't have spanked Baylor, UNC, Northwestern, and even possibly Duke?

Made the mistake of listening to the Duke-Miami preview pod on Duke's SBNation site. At one point they used the fact that Walton wanted back in the game at the end to get to 200 yards as evidence of the selfish attitude of the football team, and something that might help Duke beat us.

Advertisement
Back