PODCAST: Early Signing Day Reaction ft. Kyle Liburd and Tommy Kennedy

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With the early signing period coming to a close, Kyle and I give our reactions on how the day went and evaluate where the class can go from here. Later, new Miami offensive lineman signee Tommy Kennedy joins the show to discuss how he ended up choosing the Canes, and his expectations for what the future holds in his time at UM.

Advertisement
It's about the guys we got not the guys we didn't get. Aside from Haselwood, there wasn't any surprises. All the guys that didn't sign here we knew they weren't signing here.

I like the guys we signed on the offensive line. Very, very athletic. Honestly, I'd rather have the athletic guys over some of the guys that were rated higher. We need quick twitchy guys that can get off the ball and match the speedy DEs. We have at least 2 and maybe 3 of those types in this class who could be the left tackle of the future.

I disagree with you Stefan. We don't need offensive lineman that will play as freshman. We had very good recruiting classes at offensive line the last 2 cycles. Those guys should be ready to step up next year while this 2019 class develops over the next 2-3 years. This is how you build a program. Get the guys that fit and put them in the pipeline so that they're ready to go by year 3 in the program.

You guys are so hung up on recruiting rankings. This class is not ****, but we got guys we need to build depth. The coaches need to close out well and we should wind up with a top 20 class somewhere around 15-17th.

We lost a lot of momentum in recruiting from the 3 losses last year and finishing the regular season with a disappointing 7-5 record. Even with the 2019 class we have, we will finish #1 in the Coastal and probably #3 overall in the ACC. There is no excuse for not dominating the Coastal. Period!!!

The writing has been on the wall. It's been there for years. The answer to the recruiting is winning. Win and the top dogs will come. It may take 2 more years to get to consistent top 10 and top 5 classes. To do that we need to win the Coastal in 2019 and 2020. Hopefully we can play well in the ACC Championship game and perhaps even win an ACC title. Once that happens, the recruiting floodgates will open.

At the end of the day , it's about winning. Win and everything else will take care of itself. Like JayRock says, "Win, win, win, win, win. F**# everything else just win, win, win, win!!! I ain't got time for these bi****# (diva recruits), just win, win, win, win!!! You either with me or against me, win, win, win, win, win!!! Stop chasing those bi****# (diva recruits), just win, win, win, win!!!"

His song should be the montra for this team and all of Cane Nation.

Last edited:
It's about the guys we got not the guys we didn't get. Aside from Haselwood, there wasn't any surprises. All the guys that didn't sign here we knew they weren't signing here.

I like the guys we signed on the offensive line. Very, very athletic. Honestly, I'd rather have the athletic guys over some of the guys that were rated higher. We need quick twitchy guys that can get off the ball and match the speedy DEs. We have at least 2 and maybe 3 of those types in this class who could be the left tackle of the future.

I disagree with you Stefan. We don't need offensive lineman that will play as freshman. We had very good recruiting classes at offensive line the last 2 cycles. Those guys should be ready to step up next year while this 2019 class develops over the next 2-3 years. This is how you build a program. Get the guys that fit and put them in the pipeline so that they're ready to go by year 3 in the program.

You guys are so hung up on recruiting rankings. This class is not ****, but we got guys we need to build depth. The coaches need to close out well and we should wind up with a top 20 class somewhere around 15-17th.

We got good front line guys like we always do. But we didn’t build the requisite depth we need. That’s why our coaches said they were looking to add 11-12 players (before ElGammal signed) by Feb NSD. At some positions, we are an injury away from scary realities.

I don’t know why you expect the 2017 recruiting class to be ready for next year when guys like Herbert and Hilary were passed on the depth chart by true freshman John Campbell. Maybe something changes in spring, but Tommy Kennedy was a must get for a reason.

Replacing GW, JT, Gauthier, St. Louis, MJ, Redwine, Jaquan, and most likely JJ will not be as easy as some of you think.

Haselwood would’ve been the perfect talent to replace Thomas. That’s a big miss. But Miami is not lacking for WRs and that miss just means more targets for Harley, Pope, Hightower, and so forth.

Everything else you said is a bunch of hypotheticals and no coach at Miami has shown the ability to win the coastal back to back years yet.

Advertisement
We got good front line guys like we always do. But we didn’t build the requisite depth we need. That’s why our coaches said they were looking to add 11-12 players (before ElGammal signed) by Feb NSD. At some positions, we are an injury away from scary realities.

I don’t know why you expect the 2017 recruiting class to be ready for next year when guys like Herbert and Hilary were passed on the depth chart by true freshman John Campbell. Maybe something changes in spring, but Tommy Kennedy was a must get for a reason.

Replacing GW, JT, Gauthier, St. Louis, MJ, Redwine, Jaquan, and most likely JJ will not be as easy as some of you think.

Haselwood would’ve been the perfect talent to replace Thomas. That’s a big miss. But Miami is not lacking for WRs and that miss just means more targets for Harley, Pope, Hightower, and so forth.

Everything else you said is a bunch of hypotheticals and no coach at Miami has shown the ability to win the coastal back to back years yet.
I didn't say it would happen. I said this is what needs to happen in order to get the top recruiting classes on a consistent basis.

It is on the coaches. We have the best talent in the Coastal bar none. Even this 2019 class will be better than any other Coastal school. This is true every year. There are no excuses!!! This 2019 class may mostly be depth players and get passed by 2020 and 2021 guys and that's ok. We won't see the affect of the 2019 class for 3 years.

I think Campbell is going to be a stud. Scaife and Donaldson should be very good next year. Add in Kennedy to Boulware, Mahoney, Gaynor, and Reed. Hopefully we get something out of George Brown. We should have a solid 2 deep on the offensive line that is better than we've had the past few years.

My whole point is that we have to think long term. We were all excited from last year and assumed things would just fall into place because we live on such fertile recruiting grounds. That didn't happen because we had a terrible season by Miami standards and lost the recruiting momentum. This team needs to win to get the 2020 and 2021 guys back in the fold the way they were at the end of 2017. It is quite clear that winning or the lack of it is why we had de-commitments already from 2020 recruits. Win and they will commit the same way they did in 2017 when we were 10-0 and the darling of college football for a hot minute.

Tommy Kennedy is a great interview. Excited to see him play in orange and green!

Loved Kennedy’s interview. I think he’s going be a great player for us next year.

Top Targets Left

Akeem Dent
Khris Bogle
Tyrique Stevenson
Mark Anthony-Richards
Darius Washigton
Octavius Brothers/Eugene Asante

Dent, Stevenson, and Bogle would all have an opportunity to start next year.
Bogle going to start at DE after coming in during the summer? You know that's not true. Dent unlikely to leap the entire depth chart as well from the beginning.

Advertisement
Bogle going to start at DE after coming in during the summer? You know that's not true. Dent unlikely to leap the entire depth chart as well from the beginning.

The word opportunity does not imply that I think it will happen. I expect it to be Rousseau + Garvin & Blades + Bandy. But both Dent and Bogle are talented enough to start against UF

Who do you guys think starts on the offensive line with Kennedy next year? I think Gaynor, Boulware, Scaife, and Donaldson start against UF.

I’m hoping Campbell makes a leap and finds his way into the starting lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who do you guys think starts on the offensive line with Kennedy next year? I think Mahoney, Boulware, Scaife, and Donaldson start against UF. However, I’m hoping Campbell makes a leap and replaces Mahoney while pushing Scaife inside.
Best 5, I dont Want Mahoney starting anywhere, he’s too weak

LT Kennedy
Lg Boulware/reed
C gaynor
Rg Donalson
Rt Scaife

Advertisement
Best 5, I dont Want Mahoney starting anywhere, he’s too weak

LT Kennedy
Lg Boulware/reed
C gaynor
Rg Donalson
Rt Scaife

I hope Scaife doesn’t have to play tackle his whole career at Miami. Would love Campbell to take that RT spot so we could move Scaife inside. He could be an all conference guard/center by the time he leaves Miami.

Edited my post before you quoted it btw

We lost a lot of momentum in recruiting from the 3 losses last year and finishing the regular season with a disappointing 7-5 record. Even with the 2019 class we have, we will finish #1 in the Coastal and probably #3 overall in the ACC. There is no excuse for not dominating the Coastal. Period!!!

The writing has been on the wall. It's been there for years. The answer to the recruiting is winning. Win and the top dogs will come. It may take 2 more years to get to consistent top 10 and top 5 classes. To do that we need to win the Coastal in 2019 and 2020. Hopefully we can play well in the ACC Championship game and perhaps even win an ACC title. Once that happens, the recruiting floodgates will open.

At the end of the day , it's about winning. Win and everything else will take care of itself. Like JayRock says, "Win, win, win, win, win. F**# everything else just win, win, win, win!!! I ain't got time for these bi****# (diva recruits), just win, win, win, win!!! You either with me or against me, win, win, win, win, win!!! Stop chasing those bi****# (diva recruits), just win, win, win, win!!!"

His song should be the montra for this team and all of Cane Nation.

I agree with that on O-Line. I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. I was saying we shouldn't have to be relying on freshmen to come in and start for us, but we've been in that position the past two years (Donaldson, Scaife) with guys that really weren't all that ready. We just had no other options/depth. I was saying we need to get to a point where a freshman walks in and starts because he's just that good that he blows everyone else away, not because we have literally nobody else.

From day one the current staff has said the OL is in need of a major upgrade in talent. Especially the tackle position.
At some point they need to start landing guys that can play there. Unless Herbert and Hillary develop quick along with Campbell we
are treading water

Advertisement
I hope Scaife doesn’t have to play tackle his whole career at Miami. Would love Campbell to take that RT spot so we could move Scaife inside. He could be an all conference guard/center by the time he leaves Miami.

Edited my post before you quoted it btw
My thing is this remember uga just had a olineman isiah Wynn who was ironically recruited by richt go in the first round this year and was **** near the same stature of Delone Scaife. Scaife can play the position because of how long his arms are, he’s able to bend and has great feet. It ultimately allows him to play effectively on the edge. This is the same kid that was able to block the 5 star lineman at the opening and under armor game consistently. I can Certainly see scaife playing inside as well to but I think He can be a fixture for us the next few years at one of the tackle spots for sure

I think starting lineup against UF will be

LT Kennedy
LG Boulware
C Mahoney
RG Donaldson
RT Scaife

Depending on his development and Kennedy’s transition.. I could see Kennedy and Scaife switching. Gaynor will be the 6th man rotating in at G and C. The reserve at Tackle will be a competition between Campbell, Hillery, and Herbert.

My thing is this remember uga just had a olineman isiah Wynn who was ironically recruited by richt go in the first round this year and was **** near the same stature of Delone Scaife. Scaife can play the position because of how long his arms are, he’s able to bend and has great feet. It ultimately allows him to play effectively on the edge. This is the same kid that was able to block the 5 star lineman at the opening and under armor game consistently. I can Certainly see scaife playing inside as well to but I think He can be a fixture for us the next few years at one of the tackle spots for sure

Good points

I think starting lineup against UF will be

LT Kennedy
LG Boulware
C Mahoney
RG Donaldson
RT Scaife

Depending on his development and Kennedy’s transition.. I could see Kennedy and Scaife switching. Gaynor will be the 6th man rotating in at G and C. The reserve at Tackle will be a competition between Campbell, Hillery, and Herbert.
It will be a blessing if Herbert steps up and get fully healthy

Advertisement
Back