Podcast 22 - Recruiting Talk

I know this is recruiting 101 but **** Coach Searels you have tighten up your game.

Miami 'Right There' For OT Bateman - CBSSports.com

Miami 'Right There' For OT Bateman

Gadsden (Ala.) Gadsden City three-star offensive tackle Toryque Bateman says Miami is 'right there' in his recruitment.

Bateman told InsideTheU over the weekend that he's talking frequently with Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels and considering taking an official visit to Coral Gables.

"Miami has just been letting me know that I'm a top priority," Bateman said.

"Coach Searels has just been letting me know that I'm a top priority. We just have great conversation. At the end of everyone conversation he says, 'Where can I find the best left tackle in the country?' and I say 'Gadsen City.' So I like that. When I talk to [Mark Richt] it's a real good conversation, too. He's just always asking how I'm doing and stuff."

Bateman, who is ranked by 247Sports as the nation's No. 70 offensive tackle, has taken a pair of unofficial visits this season to Louisville. He says that the Cardinals are one of his top schools along with Miami and others.

"Michigan is still involved heavily," Bateman said when asked for a list of contenders.

"So is South Florida and Mississippi State. I mean things can change, but those are the schools recruiting me hard during the season. "

Bateman visited Ann Arbor back in August. At the time a commitment to the Wolverines looked imminent, but Michigan wasn't ready to accept a pledge from the tackle because of academics. Bateman said Sunday that his grades have improved and that he has the necessary test scores to gain admission to a school like Miami.

"Everything is looking good," Bateman said. "It's just about the report card now. As long as I have A's and B's I should be good, and I'm going to have that regardless."

Miami currently holds commitment on the offensive line from Navaughn Donaldson, Zalontae Hillery and Zach Dykstra, but is expected to add at least one more tackle to the class. Fort Lauderdale American Heritage four-star tackle Kai-Leon Herbert and Booker T. Washington four-star offensive tackle Kadeem Telfort are two of the top targets for the Hurricanes, but Bateman could emerge as more and more of a realistic option for UM in January.

I think you're being too critical here. Who's to say Telfort's going to sign with the Canes? He could be playing the attention game, which as has been documented on this site, recruits that pull these recruiting games seldom work out. Also, South Florida football is king. But let's not act like there's not quality football in Alabama as there are good players that come out of that state.

Advertisement
Telfort > Bateman everyday and twice on Saturday, coach Searels is bitter because Telfort was one of the first to decommit an is now playing the south florida diva recruiting game. Another issue is if Bateman is having trouble academically in back woods Alabama how will stay eligible at Miami?

UM can't afford to have Olinemen not qualify late, when they could take Telfort who is an EE and has played way better competition.

The Alabama linemen Miami should be all over is Dlinemen Alec Jackson who could be a very good 3tech for miami.

Go Canes

this coach is the weak link on this team. The ol looks like **** every week and the one hindering the program. Not a good coach or recruiter we need to get Mario back. At least he can recruit and he **** sure cant be worse than this coach.

Pete - why does Miami have to win the Orange Bowl just to contend with local prospects? No other big time school has that problem. USC, Tennessee, Texas, etc. consistently recruit better than us despite not having great records. Just a bunch of front running kids or what?

Pete - why does Miami have to win the Orange Bowl just to contend with local prospects? No other big time school has that problem. USC, Tennessee, Texas, etc. consistently recruit better than us despite not having great records. Just a bunch of front running kids or what?

Because of the football environment they're brought up in. They stack optimist teams, no HS transfer rules. These kids are being taught to jump ship when everything isn't 100. Call it the Lebron James effect.

Kaaya isn't thinking about what 18 year old lineman will come in to help protect him. He'll come back if he realizes his footwork and pocket presence needs to get better which is the only real thing he needs and NFL teams will worry about that so come back and he'll be a top 15 pick next season

Advertisement
Telfort > Bateman everyday and twice on Saturday, coach Searels is bitter because Telfort was one of the first to decommit an is now playing the south florida diva recruiting game. Another issue is if Bateman is having trouble academically in back woods Alabama how will stay eligible at Miami?

UM can't afford to have Olinemen not qualify late, when they could take Telfort who is an EE and has played way better competition.

The Alabama linemen Miami should be all over is Dlinemen Alec Jackson who could be a very good 3tech for miami.

Go Canes
Why would Searels be bitter? I thought Telfort recommitted prior to Searels coaching at UM

Go Canes
Why would Searels be bitter? I thought Telfort recommitted prior to Searels coaching at UM

who cares what he thinks until he actually has a ol that blocks his opinion and coaching ability means ****

Pete, either get a new mic or take a solid step back from the one you currently have. Sounds like your swallowing the **** thing at times.

Solid podcast, tho.

Go Canes

What the **** you talking about. Searles wasnt even here when telfort decommited. Richt is the head coach. If richt wanted telfort he would be a take. Obviously richt isnt high on him either. Telfort doesnt want to be at miami. He wasnt commited a **** month before he flipped to uf.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Go Canes

who cares what he thinks until he actually has a ol that blocks his opinion and coaching ability means ****

I'm not debating his coaching ability. I'm questioning the claim that he has something to do with telfort not be recruited as heavily bc of a decommitment that took place prior to the beginning of his tenure. That doesn't really make sense that he would be holding a grudge

Last edited:

Because of the football environment they're brought up in. They stack optimist teams, no HS transfer rules. These kids are being taught to jump ship when everything isn't 100. Call it the Lebron James effect.

This...somewhere along the road it became acceptable to be a sellout. No loyalty left.

[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION] why havent the staff made a play for a dude like naytron culpepper?

Advertisement
@Peter Ariz why havent the staff made a play for a dude like naytron culpepper?
When I mentioned him in the DB recruiting thread about prospects that we might be recruiting but keeping it quiet, y'all said he was a plan D kid & asked what if they're out of state prospects instead... Lol

When I mentioned him in the DB recruiting thread about prospects that we might be recruiting but keeping it quiet, y'all said he was a plan D kid & asked what if they're out of state prospects instead... Lol

I didnt say he was a plan d. I like him way better than brini and he looked good at cb this year. Has some solid offers too.

Advertisement

I didnt say he was a plan d. I like him way better than brini and he looked good at cb this year. Has some solid offers too.
The kid is a beast from CC & I've stated numerous times we need to keep Dade kids home...

Maybe it was someone else, but I remember y'all was adamant in disagreement when I mentioned like 4 local DB's that we should be after in case CJ & Brian don't comeback lol.

The kid is a beast from CC & I've stated numerous times we need to keep Dade kids home...

Maybe it was someone else, but I remember y'all was adamant in disagreement when I mentioned like 4 local DB's that we should be after in case CJ & Brian don't comeback lol.

Im not a fan of haynie and those guys but i would take naytron. Dont know what the staff is doing bad as we need cb.

Im not a fan of haynie and those guys but i would take naytron. Dont know what the staff is doing bad as we need cb.
I agree... Our CB recruiting has been nothing short of subpar.

Advertisement
Back