Please tell me Lashlee was holding back

Breaking in a new offensive system takes some time to install, get your guys comfortable executing. When you play a team you should beat easily - go out and beat them with as few a plays as possible, because Louisville and FSU are going to be a lot tougher, so don't provide them as much of the playbook to scheme. I had a coach in HS who went on to be a 2-time NCAA Coach of the year that would run a play until you stopped it.
They challenge us for nearly 3 quarters. How long do you wait before you take over the game?

Advertisement
Look at the play selection. It was run after run for the most part. There were some basic pass plays, but nothing really creative, except for a few in the third quarter, so they could get some separation. They scored two quick touchdown, then went right back to running the ball over and over. Compare that to what he's done at Auburn, UConn, and SMU. The players also said the offense was installed fairly quickly during the little bit of spring and then summer practices. After that, it was just repetition. If there is not a huge difference in the playcalling against Louisville, then I'm dead wrong, but I still think he was holding back as much as he could, and still win the game, so Louisville had no film to use.
Why would he hold back just to throw L'ville off, what about the next 9 games. Tape will be out on us. Why was L'ville that team we hid things for. I remember Mallory saying he learned the playbook in 2 days. A simplified offense shouldn't be confused with being vanilla. Was king instructed not to pull on run plays, most likely. Are there jet sweeps, wr screens, read- option passes, sure there are. We will be run heavy. I thought auburn 2013. Auburn was simple and similar to what i saw from us. The point is that you couldn't stop them and you couldn't substitute bcuz they were uptempo. Let's ride it to the natty like auburn.

Why would he hold back just to throw L'ville off, what about the next 9 games. Tape will be out on us. Why was L'ville that team we hid things for. I remember Mallory saying he learned the playbook in 2 days. A simplified offense shouldn't be confused with being vanilla. Was king instructed not to pull on run plays, most likely. Are there jet sweeps, wr screens, read- option passes, sure there are. We will be run heavy. I thought auburn 2013. Auburn was simple and similar to what i saw from us. The point is that you couldn't stop them and you couldn't substitute bcuz they were uptempo. Let's ride it to the natty like auburn.
Spread game has changed ALOT since then, not that easy to do just that anymore.. Back then you could just run, couple restraint plays, jet sweeps and light up scoreboards.. Many coaches have talked about that, even Malzahn, Defenses caught up, thats why you see many develop passing games, rpos being added in recent years.. RPO was good to us last year against UL, hope we caan exploit that again..

They challenge us for nearly 3 quarters. How long do you wait before you take over the game?
Till my guys respond to the challenge when it has vastly more talent then the opponent, otherwise the rest of the season you're already in trouble

Advertisement
According to both Manny Diaz and Rhett Lashlee, UAB did a lot of things on defense that they weren’t prepared for. It’s almost like coaches add wrinkles to their game plan against their toughest opponents to catch them off guard while purposely not showing their hand against weaker opponents.

He isn’t new to UAB as their DC.

I’m going with Miami was somewhat unprepared or certain players were lacking in either their own prep or just slow to recognize what they had already seen in film.
That it was the same DC is irrelevant. Apparently UAB played defensive formations and schemes different from anything they did last season per the coaches.

That it was the same DC is irrelevant. Apparently UAB played defensive formations and schemes different from anything they did last season per the coaches.

Then Miami’s coaches were lacking in their own prep and play calling. Sometimes it doesn’t matter what the other team shows because your prep is that good. There are only so many **** alignments and coverages. Miami did a poor job of recognizing that because they were apparently too busy looking at the dressing.

So you are telling me that Miami was out coached again?

1600289255736.png

Advertisement
Then Miami’s coaches were lacking in their own prep and play calling. Sometimes it doesn’t matter what the other team shows because your prep is that good. There are only so many **** alignments and coverages. Miami did a poor job of recognizing that because they were apparently too busy looking at the dressing.

So you are telling me that Miami was out coached again?
It's kinda hard for a coach to prep for a front that the other team has never shown before. They specifically called out this front as not something that was shown either in game one, or any of the games last year.

Bill Clark is a really good coach that'll be at a P5 program soon. He added a wrinkle, and then we adjusted.

It's kinda hard for a coach to prep for a front that the other team has never shown before. They specifically called out this front as not something that was shown either in game one, or any of the games last year.

Bill Clark is a really good coach that'll be at a P5 program soon. He added a wrinkle, and then we adjusted.
And there is the answer to "did Lashlee hold back?".

No spring practise. Limited fall practise. he ran what he was comforable the Canes had practised enough to execute properly. This will increase game by game. Anyone who has watched his offense at previous stops knows that what we saw was not his complete playbook.

Advertisement
No way were we holding back. I heard the entire playbook is four plays and Lashlee was calling friends to make up plays during the game. What you want to do, always, against a non-conference opponent in your first game in a new offense is show absolutely everything when you can run at will and don't need to. That's strategy.

If you think we weren't holding back, just give up on watching football.
Ok

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back