Plays that excited me, Plays that scared me

I don't care who starts, but Sam Brooks has to play more snaps than Mccloud against UL or we're going to see some cringeworthy chunk plays. Look, Zach has attributes I've been a huge fan of since he got here. But, I'm on the edge of my seat watching him choose gaps and close. If we mess around with it against UL, we're toast.
Yea I was a huge Zach fan also and felt he needed to redshirt and develop more than the other guys early in his career but 5 years in and the lightbulb never came on (guy cant even make a play when QB throws ball straight at him, catch the freakin ball), we have to call it with some of these players.. When you are 3-4 years in program and its not there, to me its ok to call it. For some reason guys like Jade get it rough (him coming off injury last year) while others get benefit of doubt from fans (harley is what he is, we have a room full of upperclass misses at WR)

We need better development too. Our best players cannot be transfers

Advertisement
I would be a little surprised but would feel that the youngins have earned it if that happened.

Pre-season I thought Cam was going for 1500+ Yards this season but being that we have King and the freshman. I’ll just trim that down to 1200 yards and 10TDS

Cam probably transfers if he gets passed up. So I’m rooting for him to ball out this year and hit the league. Then 2021 we let Rooster, the Don, And Franklin ball out.
I view Cam Harris this year somewhat similar to James Jackson in 2000. In the sense of a reliable, experienced elder who isn't as "shiny" as his backup(s). That said, I think Cam has a strong season and tries to hit the League.

In 2000, James Jackson went for 1k on like 3x the carries Portis received. I don't think Cam will triple up the youngings because it's a different offense and time, but he will be a stabilizing presence. I don't see a healthy Cam getting passed up.

I would be a little surprised but would feel that the youngins have earned it if that happened.

Pre-season I thought Cam was going for 1500+ Yards this season but being that we have King and the freshman. I’ll just trim that down to 1200 yards and 10TDS

Cam probably transfers if he gets passed up. So I’m rooting for him to ball out this year and hit the league. Then 2021 we let Rooster, the Don, And Franklin ball out.
I sound like a broken record, but with a weak OL, shifty guys are gonna shine. Cam is a one-cut-and-go type runner, like Homer was. Behind an OL that can open holes, he would shine.

We need shifty. That's why I am so high on King. He can make you miss in a phone booth. I think the Fr backs can do that too. And I think they are just much more talented.

Cam will be the No. 1 until the young bucks prove they can pass protect and know their assignments. But I predict by the end of the season, 1 of them will be too good to keep off the field, as a starter.

I view Cam Harris this year somewhat similar to James Jackson in 2000. In the sense of a reliable, experienced elder who isn't as "shiny" as his backup(s). That said, I think Cam has a strong season and tries to hit the League.

In 2000, James Jackson went for 1k on like 3x the carries Portis received. I don't think Cam will triple up the youngings because it's a different offense and time, but he will be a stabilizing presence. I don't see a healthy Cam getting passed up.
I love that James Jackson reference in regards to our current stable.

Cam should still touch the ball 15+ per game. If we can get Rooster and Dom another 15 carries split. We are going to be set!

I wonder how the numbers will break down by seasons end.

One play that excites me but we seem to mess up was when we would motion back to flats it was usually a qb draw. Then in 2nd we sent Chaney in motion and at snap manipulated the D where 2 guys followed him and Brevin in slot is WIDE OPEN on slant, King doesnt even look that way and throws incompletion to Harley..

A play most wont notice but is a missed explosive play, not sure of reads and such but it seemed like a setup play that worked. Easy read

Advertisement
I like your Gurley comparison.....Cam Harris looks like a young Arian Foster to me.

was happy with the three headed monster
Would like to be a little more balanced with the passing game but was super excited by the backs. They did a lot of their work despite of the OL in many instances and not because of gaping holes.

I love that James Jackson reference in regards to our current stable.

Cam should still touch the ball 15+ per game. If we can get Rooster and Dom another 15 carries split. We are going to be set!

I wonder how the numbers will break down by seasons end.
I think your 50/25/25 scenario is a safe prediction. I think you're slightly underselling the potential volume, though. Ha.

Everyone needs to put their arms around the fact Lashlee is a Malzahn disciple, but like maybe THE disciple. I know he has other experiences, but dude is going to run the ******* ball. And, that's a very good thing.

Can't disagree with any of that. I will add that I am kinda spooked by what I saw out of King in terms of throwing the ball. We're banking on this guy for an offensive resurgence this year - he's going to have to do better than that. Even with a vanilla scheme from Lashlee, there were yards and points left on the table due to QB misfiring. There was a ball on a 3rd down Brevin Jordan probably should have caught if he is an all world TE, but other than that the misses were on King, IMO.
I thought the same thing on Brevins' play but after watching again the balls trajectory was changed when a defender tipped it right before it got to him. At first I was a little mad but in a good way because I know he is very talented.

Advertisement
Agree we need way more than what we saw. The overthrow miss on the deep pass to Harley is probably a timing issue. The wide miss (to Payton, IIRC) on the triple option type RPO at the goal line was just a wild throw.

I'd stress some patience. This is a really weird year (obviously), but especially in the sense of no extended Spring and game scenarios. Put it this way, we looked better against UAB in Game 1 of 2020 than we did against Central Michigan in Game 3 last season. Not saying we'll go on to have offensive explosion games like we did against Louisville in '19, but it's just way too early to judge the passing game. My biggest concern would be the combination of our route combinations (vertical) with OL who still get beat.
Do you think we were trying to establish the OL last night with the run game, build confidence and not show much of the passing game?

He still can’t tackle in the open field, why is that better at LB?

The argument can be made he belongs on the bench....but the reasoning behind moving him closer to the line of scrimmage is that he's more a thumper than a tackler. When he thumps and misses closer to the LOS it's not as bad as when he whiffs in the open field at the second level. Safety needs to be a reliable last line of defense.

Truth be told, I'm just not a fan of Amari period.

Advertisement
Chaney Sr.'s genes are kicking in. The kid looked like Gurley physically. He's running tougher than he did in high school and has been all camp.
Yessir and he hails from the finest educational institution in the county, perhaps the finest in the state.

BJ Wolf 4 Lyfe

take it easeeeeee!

Do you think we were trying to establish the OL last night with the run game, build confidence and not show much of the passing game?
I think we were doing exactly what Gus Malzahn does. If the opponent's hands are low, keep hitting him in the chin with the jab. With such little prep time (in terms of spring game, game-like scenarios, etc.), it's a bit odd so many people expected us to be the KC Chiefs during game 1. Whether we were "saving" stuff or not, I don't know. We obviously have way more RPO stuff than we saw.

We have:

- A new QB getting timing down (with his WRs/TEs) in game scenarios
- An almost entirely new OL architecture
- A new offense
- A non-traditional spring and fall practice setup
- Our most talented players right now are our QB, RBs, TEs
- Our OL clearly still has holes pass-blocking

It's just math. What I like about Lashlee's approach, like I do about Malzahn, is that they're practical playcallers most of the time. They may have other issues, but that's for another post. Put it this way, if we're using last year's evidence, Enos would have somehow gone away from what worked. It's just way too early to judge the offense on anything more than "****, we somehow lined up for 78 plays...not bad."

Advertisement
I’m always blown away by the fact when we blitz we often vacate the entire middle of the field and the corners and safeties play outside technique vacating the field further.

We are WAY too cute out there

For Manny and Baker being these big analytics guys, I don’t understand how they continue these stupid *** exotic blitzes and alignments when it clearly shows it not effective. Stop trying to be so pretty and put our athletes in position to make plays.
Yeah. I talked about this last season.

If they're analytics guys, I'd like to see more evidence or some deeper explanation. I know they "talk about it," but "Analytics" isn't just noticing your 3rd down conversion sucks and try to fix it. It's definitely not charting teammate support. It may very well be true that they're heavy into analytics, but I find a contradiction there when stuff like DB blitzes show up in a predictable way and have a low % of getting home on key 3rd downs. If you truly rely on analytics, you stop calling that stuff once the sample size has been established.

If I run a digital Ad for my company and the conversion rate sucks, once I know it's a reliable sample size, I don't spend more money running the same digital Ad.

What's your biggest concern? Although imperfect and certainly will lean toward simplistic, I think it's a good fit for our program.
Redoing since my post disappeared.

My biggest concern is the simplicity AND the predictability. Now granted I do have to take into consideration that we won't have a dose of uga, bama, and lsu on the schedule every year, but if Lashlee keeps up with Malzahn's mo we're not going to see much different than what we saw last night. If you think certain aspects of Baker (with regards to predictability) drives you crazy, then the Rhett Lashlee that I'm familiar with is going to cause you to drink. I realize last night was one game, this season/offseason is like no other, and Lashlee has branched off to learn other philosophies/systems, so I'm trying not to jump the gun, but we shall see. In a nutshell and not trying to take over the thread so we can discuss a bit more in another thread, there are 3 things that I'm watching with Lashlee.

1) simplicity/predictability/tendency
2) WR route tree
3) QB recruiting - recruiting QB's that don't fit what works best for the offense. Ask any Auburn fan if they are surprised that we seem to be infatuated with Jake Garcia and I guarantee the response will be, mini-Gus is just doing what big-Gus taught him. :)

With that said, we will have some offensive explosions. We will have many games where we rush for 300+ yards. I also wouldn't be shocked to see games where we score on the first drive and then never score again. Gotta crawl before you walk though I guess.

Advertisement
Back