Playoff Expansion Slow Conference Expansion?

canetomm

Recruit
Now that we are going to 12 teams with 4 conference champs guaranteed, does this slow the SEC and BIG10 expansion? Seems to be a good thing for ACC. Why would Clemson or FSU jump to the SEC now? They can stay in the ACC and make it in. I didn't like the way things were going.

Advertisement
Lol.. Its about the moneyyyyyyy.. ACC contract is DOA.. Whether you like it or not, these other conferences have destroyed acc in tv contracts.. Acc is locked in a crazy deal.

Advertisement
Isn’t it 6 top conference champs automatic bids??
Yes. Top 6 conf champs get an auto bid. Then 6 more at large. Top 4 teams get a bye. Money is still an issue but ironically this does improve viability of pathway to a championship for more teams. I was surprised at 6 conf champs getting in.

Yes. Top 6 conf champs get an auto bid. Then 6 more at large. Top 4 teams get a bye. Money is still an issue but ironically this does improve viability of pathway to a championship for more teams. I was surprised at 6 conf champs getting in.

Yeah especially no one knows how many conferences will be around by then unless they want more G5 ones in. Lol

It slows expansion, but only because the remaining biggest domino got a life line.

1) Notre Dame basically got a free pass into every playoff as long as they're not absolute garbage. Expansion won't move until they have to make a decision. Maybe a few years without being able to get a bye week will change their minds. Maybe NBC gives them a 2nd lifeline with a half decent TV deal

2) New playoff and ACC GOR leaves low probability that anyone in our league is going anywhere anytime soon. Top brands will still be clawing to get out though. The money disparity is just too much.

Add those things together along with the SEC and BIG almost guaranteed to fill out most of the at-large bids and your incentive to grow isn't as strong until you can get Notre Dame or those top few brands from the ACC.

Going to be quiet for a bit

I do not care for expansion unless I see the extra money poured back into the program. The only real concern for me is if it cramps scheduling.

Advertisement
Slow or fast expansion, it doesn't matter. ACC teams are fooked for the next decade thanks to Swafford

It slows expansion, but only because the remaining biggest domino got a life line.

1) Notre Dame basically got a free pass into every playoff as long as they're not absolute garbage. Expansion won't move until they have to make a decision. Maybe a few years without being able to get a bye week will change their minds. Maybe NBC gives them a 2nd lifeline with a half decent TV deal

2) New playoff and ACC GOR leaves low probability that anyone in our league is going anywhere anytime soon. Top brands will still be clawing to get out though. The money disparity is just too much.

Add those things together along with the SEC and BIG almost guaranteed to fill out most of the at-large bids and your incentive to grow isn't as strong until you can get Notre Dame or those top few brands from the ACC.

Going to be quiet for a bit
This is why they are talking about the uneven split of the revenue, Jim Phillips has to keep the top brands happy by giving them more money.

Advertisement
Back