Playmaker, Melvin, Jerome and Alonzo post Fiesta

Advertisement
I always blamed JJ for that loss. Alonzo was ripping them up down the field, then we get to the 20 and JH starts calling passes when Vinny was clear not at his best. I always felt that if Alonzo had five or six more carries in the red zone we win the game. They were dropping 8 most of the time.

I always blamed JJ for that loss. Alonzo was ripping them up down the field, then we get to the 20 and JH starts calling passes when Vinny was clear not at his best. I always felt that if Alonzo had five or six more carries in the red zone we win the game. They were dropping 8 most of the time.

Agreed. Big JJ fan, but never understood what he was trying to do in that game. Testeverde was having a poor game, our running game was dominating, and he kept on calling passes. Possibly his worst coached game as a 'Canes HC.....and at the worst possible time, an NC game.

I still think that is a top 10 all time college football team...rewatch that game and we absolutely dominated that game...even with giving them like 5 interceptions.
We were far and away the better team
...sometimes luck supercedes on some days.
Still ****ed about that....sorry *** Pedo state

these guys "earned" us our rep. Tell me you see anything but class out of these dudes.

Wow. Great find. I still can't believe we lost that game. Everytime I see Penn State it reminds me of losing that Fiesta Bowl and the hurt and disappointment I felt as a young kid watching this game by the fireplace on an abnormally cold January night in 1987..

Last edited:
Advertisement
I still think that is a top 10 all time college football team...rewatch that game and we absolutely dominated that game...even with giving them like 5 interceptions.
We were far and away the better team
...sometimes luck supercedes on some days.
Still ****ed about that....sorry *** Pedo state
I think the final yardage was something ridiculous, like 450 yards to 150 yards in our favor.

Agreed. Big JJ fan, but never understood what he was trying to do in that game. Testeverde was having a poor game, our running game was dominating, and he kept on calling passes. Possibly his worst coached game as a 'Canes HC.....and at the worst possible time, an NC game.

couldnt resist

Advertisement
Close, worst JJ coaching performance,, Maryland 1984..

He over coached it. You can tell by how big the gap was with the yards between the teams... If Jimmy would of played the game the way it was dictated it would have been a 27-10 or 31-14 type win. He had multiple brain farts like Carroll did in the super bowl. And in sayin all that I still believe Jimmy is the best coach the U ever had!!!!!

people can talk all they want about the characters on those 80's squads but that right there, shows the character they had as individuals

Advertisement
Brings back some sad memories. This must have been at the stadium. I saw many of the guys later on at the team motel in Scottsdale. There was supposed to be a party and they had a couple of rooms rented and recorded music playing. But nobody was partying.

Saw Alonzo, Vinny with his father. Vinny looked like he was on verge of crying. Saw some other Canes, including alums Jim Kelly, Mark Rush, Gary Dunn. Jim had his mother with him, I think. Only players I remember speaking to were two OLs--John O'Neill and Todd (or Scott?) Provin. Needless to say, outside of the blaring music, everyone was quiet, everyone seemed rather humbled...I think they were stunned...we all were.

I love JJ but he was young. As great as he was, coaching a bowl game was not something he had mastered yet. TN used the same defense the year before in the Sugar Bowl that cost us a NC. I guess JJ didn’t notice.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back