Players leaving early

ssvir

Sophomore
Premium
Looks likely to be a miserable showing in the draft.

I don't want to hear that **** about "getting to the 2nd contract." I'd like to see how many 4-7th round guys actually make it to the 2nd contract.

Kam Kinchens - 2-3rd round
Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th

Advertisement

I don't want to hear that **** about "getting to the 2nd contract." I'd like to see how many 4-7th round guys actually make it to the 2nd contract.

Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th
So you do want to hear **** about "getting to the 2nd contract." Quite the dilemma you've created for yourself.

It won't boost their projections by coming back for another year.

We've seen what they're capable of. So has the NFL.
There is literally hundreds of historical data points and examples that show a player can in fact improve their stock in their senior year.

The problem with these guys are that they give the time of day to these early mock drafts and actually think they hold weight.

Taylor could've done himself a huge favor by returning. Ppl thought he was going to be a first round pick bc the mock drafts had him there.

Not a single GM in the country, except for like someone with the intellect to select Tim Tebow in the 1st, was ever going to select Taylor in the first after the production he put out this season.

To you point though, I do agree Cohen and Lee were maxed out.

Kinchens, for as productive as he's been, had issues he could've came back and worked on.

Taylor and Williams made horrible decisions to leave, as it pertains to where they will be drafted. They could've immensely improved their stock.

Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th
I think they need to worry about their first contract.

Advertisement
There is literally hundreds of historical data points and examples that show a player can in fact improve their stock in their senior year.

The problem with these guys are that they give the time of day to these early mock drafts and actually think they hold weight.

Taylor could've done himself a huge favor by returning. Ppl thought he was going to be a first round pick bc the mock drafts had him there.

Not a single GM in the country, except for like someone with the intellect to select Tim Tebow in the 1st, was ever going to select Taylor in the first after the production he put out this season.

To you point though, I do agree Cohen and Lee were maxed out.

Kinchens, for as productive as he's been, had issues he could've came back and worked on.

Taylor and Williams made horrible decisions to leave, as it pertains to where they will be drafted. They could've immensely improved their stock.

Yup, anyone of these guys who had eligibility left should have come back. Kinchens is the only one remotely close to going in the 2nd round, and that is hardly a given.

I think that in the modern era, the NIL a veteran player can command shows their draft status. Ward gets good money Taylor dreams of getting paid less...................I wish the NFL would be honest with them and tell them how much they could expect to earn................

Kam Kinchens - 2-3rd round (limited physically)
Leonard Taylor - 3-5th (effort, production)
James Williams - 4-6th (speed, tweener)
Matt Lee - 5-7th (maxed potential)
Javion Cohen - 5-7th (guard, dime a dozen)
Not sure any of these guys increase draft stock by returning. JW20 if he moved positions.. maybe??

Advertisement

Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th
Whoever advised Taylor and Williams really did them a disservice. The other 3 I don’t really know if another year could’ve drastically changed their draft positions.

Should probably wait until after the combine before starting this battle. There's still a lot of time to move up/down draft boards.
Which is probably what Williams and Taylor are banking on. Especially Williams. Someone will fall in love with size and measurables if he tests really well.

Advertisement
Don’t think Cohen or Lee were ever gonna go much higher than they are right now. Another year of college ball isn’t worth the risk for them.

IMO James is the same way. He’s also the guy that somebody will love and take a chance on based on measurable.

Kam and LT are taking advantage of extremely weak classes at their positions. Kam’s problem isn’t his ability, it’s his not playing within the defense. That’s fixable. I didn’t hunk coming back for him is worth the risk either. LT will rise up boards bc of his athleticism and that he wasn’t being used correctly in this defense.

LT is truly the only one that could massively improve his stock by staying. But having 1st round potential doesn’t mean he will ever produce at 1st round level.

I think that in the modern era, the NIL a veteran player can command shows their draft status. Ward gets good money Taylor dreams of getting paid less...................I wish the NFL would be honest with them and tell them how much they could expect to earn................
there is sufficient data from existing and past players to provide a good estimate what each player is expected to make depending on where they will be drafted.

Advertisement

Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th
Let's remove coaching and player results (or lack thereof) during the season, and I'll ask this question.

What is the metric of a good showing in the draft?

Of course, ideally, you would want both, but is it the number of guys drafted? Or is a smaller amount of guys drafted higher better?

Getting 5 players drafted (assuming they all get drafted and not UDFA) is not bad, in my opinion. That is regardless of where they get drafted. I think a key to a successful program is getting at least 5 guys drafted annually or 4+ with at least 3 going in the first 3 rounds.

They could have stayed and raked in the money from your $0 contributions to Canes Connection.

If you had to contribute $1 for every miserable mope ******* post you make we'd have guys forgoing the NFL.
Hungry Splat GIF by michaelmarczewski

Problem is similar to one and done CBB culture. When kids like LT or JW rated high as HS they think that same value is still there 3 years later. LT and JW imo were gone before the season started. I know some people mentioned LT being frustrated by the lack of stability with his position coaches(new coach every year).

Kam is the one I understand leaving although he could’ve definitely used another year to clean up mistakes. I think after the injury his mind was made up on what he wanted to do.

Frustrating that those 3 left because with them we could’ve really been in a good place defensively.

Advertisement
Back