Player Development

Advertisement
1. AQM and Walton were not 5 stars. Also helps when you play on a team full of top 100 kids, does it not? This line of thinking is what i think @DTP was referring to in his post above. We overrate our players and when they don't perform to our expectations we call it development

2. I see you left out Artie who was a first rounder on that list, but i digress. Let me ask you this, Who in your mind should have been first round picks out of all the players drafted that wasn't a first rounder due to lack of development:
Round: 4 / Pick: 140 - LB Shaq Quarterman (Jacksonville Jaguars)
Round: 4 / Pick: 144 - RB DeeJay Dallas (Seattle Seahawks)
Round: 5 / Pick: 176 - WR K.J. Osborn (Minnesota Vikings)
Round: 7 / Pick: 242 - DL Jon Garvin (Green Bay Packers)
Round: 4 / Pick: 119 - DB Sheldrick Redwine (Cleveland Browns)
Round: 5 / Pick: 158 - CB Michael Jackson (Dallas Cowboys)
Round: 5 / Pick: 165 - DL Joe Jackson (Dallas Cowboys)
Round: 6 / Pick: 181 - DB Jaquan Johnson (Buffalo Bills)
Round: 6 / Pick: 204 - RB Travis Homer (Seattle Seahawks)
Round: 3 / Pick: 67 - DL Chad Thomas (Cleveland Browns)
Round: 4 / Pick: 107 - TE Chris Herndon (New York Jets)
Round: 4 / Pick: 112 - RB Mark Walton (Cincinnati Bengals)
Round: 5 / Pick: 139 - DL RJ McIntosh (New York Giants)
Round: 6 / Pick: 210 - WR Braxton Berrios (New England Patriots)
Round: 7 / Pick 242 - DT Kendrick Norton (Carolina Panthers)
Round: 1 / Pick: 29 - TE David Njoku (Cleveland Browns)
Round: 4 / Pick: 113 - DB Rayshawn Jenkins (Los Angles Chargers)
Round: 4 / Pick: 152 - CB Corn Elder (Carolina Panthers)
Round: 5 / Pick: 180 - OL Danny Isidora (Minnesota Vikings)
Round: 6 / Pick: 196 - DE Al-Quadin Muhammad (New Orleans Saints)
Round: 6 / Pick: 215 - QB Brad Kaaya (Detroit Lions)
Round: 7 / Pick: 219 - WR Stacy Coley (Minnesota Vikings)
Round: 7 / Pick: 229 - CB Adrian Colbert (San Francisco 49ers)
Round: 7 / Pick: 240 - FB Marquez Williams (Jacksonville Jaguars)
Round: 1 / Pick: 25 - CB Artie Burns (Pittsburgh Steelers)
Round: 4 / Pick: 124 - S Deon Bush (Chicago Bears)

3. Do you think it is a coincidence that 2 of our most athletically gifted kids over the last 5 years were our only 2 first round picks?

4. Do you think our kids leaving a year early, therefore skipping another year of development, to be a late round pick is player development? Those decisions, while hard to quantify, have an impact of where a kid is drafted. If our juniors stayed maybe we'd have more 2, 3, 4 round and less 5, 6, 7 rounds too.

If you want to say we need to recruit better, i think EVERYONE would agree.

I think the disappointment of our highly recruited players that don't work out is what people remember too often.

Not enough credit is given to guys that far exceeded their recruiting ranking, even if they were late round picks.

We have plenty of overachievers, and how much can be attributed to player development is debatable. But I will say I can't remember anyone ever saying "I really credit Coach A for developing Player B".

Here's where our 2016-2020 were drafted in relation to their recruiting ranking. Again, plenty of overachieving that gets overlooked IMO.

1594733804730.png

I think the disappointment of our highly recruited players that don't work out is what people remember too often.

Not enough credit is given to guys that far exceeded their recruiting ranking, even if they were late round picks.

We have plenty of overachievers, and how much can be attributed to player development is debatable. But I will say I can't remember anyone ever saying "I really credit Coach A for developing Player B".

Here's where our 2016-2020 were drafted in relation to their recruiting ranking. Again, plenty of overachieving that gets overlooked IMO.

View attachment 121442
Did you do the research or the chart yourself? Nice work if you did!!!! This is well done and i appreciate it.

There are two things that stand out to me on this chart...People should put a little more respect on Golden's eye for lower rated talent (i know i may be roasted for this one as anything positive toward AG is a negative), and we have some good talent developers.

Did you do the research or the chart yourself? Nice work if you did!!!! This is well done and i appreciate it.

There are two things that stand out to me on this chart...People should put a little more respect on Golden's eye for lower rated talent (i know i may be roasted for this one as anything positive toward AG is a negative), and we have some good talent developers.
I just took the list you posted and added in their recruiting ranking - so you did most of the work.

I'm in the same boat with Golden - I'm not defending him, but 2 things I think are underestimated:

1. "The Cloud" made it a lot harder to recruit at the time than people act like now. Dealing with that for 2 full recruiting cycles wasn't easy
2. He did find some good diamonds in the rough - Olsen Pierre, Rashawn Scott, Thurston Armbrister played in the NFL

But too many of the big time recruits he landed turned out to be disappointing - Tracy Howard, Kevin Olsen, Joe Yearby, etc.

Duke was a five star and sò was Anthony Chickillo.
Neither was a a consensus 5 star but they were rated 5 stars by at least one recruiting service. Still, we know that Golden’s staff wasted Chickillo but I’m pretty sure Duke was maxed out by the time he left. He was producing at an all time level. He was a third round pick because the NFL doesn’t value running backs as much as college football does. There’s nothing that any coach, anywhere could gave done to make Duke Johnson a first rounder.

That’s a problem when you try to equate player development to draft position. A mediocre player at a premium position will often get picked ahead of a good player at a position NFL teams deem “less important“. Also, coaches develop players for their systems, not future NFL systems. Every quarterback who played under Urban Meyer was/is a bust in the NFL. Would anyone say he can’t develop quarterbacks? His guys always excel in his offense. And that’s his job. To get guys to play their best for him. Not to get guys into the league.

Advertisement
Individual talents have developed, no doubt, but the previous staphs have left glaring holes in certain parts of the team that has prevented team success and even more individual talent development.

Advertisement
Back