play calling

suzy7389

Junior
Coleys play calling is very conservative! they need to open it up ASAP. Do you guys think there trying to play conservative to open it up for the big games?

Advertisement
Coleys play calling is very conservative! they need to open it up ASAP. Do you guys think there trying to play conservative to open it up for the big games?

James Coley is one of the worst OCs in FBS. So the answer is no. He just sucks.

Jet sweeps to Sonny will have Nebraska flabbergasted...

Advertisement
I don't get the lack of plays to the TE. I just don't get it. They are open, just use them. I always hated it when our O used just the WRs and HBs. We have weapons at FB and TE that need to be used. The more the defense needs to plan against, the better. Why take away options yourself and make the other teams job that much easier?

Coley needs to go ASAP. I don't even like the formations.

Advertisement
Folden stated in the off-season he's not a fan of uptempo. Him and Coley had a "dust up" outside the locker room during halftime of the FSU game over taking their foot off the gas.

This is the offense Folden wants. Slow pace, ball control, short passing game with the rare route over 15 yards.

Bad OL, no special talent at WR/TE, and conservative play calling - throw it in a pot and you got yourself a 7-loss stew going.

Advertisement
But how can you hold back when your team is tied 20-20 in the third quarter? How are you holding back when you're not converting 3rd downs? The announcers acted as though we played a vanilla game on purpose, but that's hard to believe considering how long FAU hung around. I wish I could believe it was on purpose, but if that's the case that is really, really stupid. We needed a confidence builder tonight more than we had to keep plays secret. We also didn't need to risk losing to FAU to keep those super double secret passes to the TE off the game film. Run your offence so the kids can learn it in a real game.

So they are dumb to hold back, and dumb if they didn't.
I believe he was holding back. He does suck though

Draw play from the pistol.
Hesitate draw from the pistol.
Sweep from the pistol.
Bubble screens.

But how can you hold back when your team is tied 20-20 in the third quarter? How are you holding back when you're not converting 3rd downs? The announcers acted as though we played a vanilla game on purpose, but that's hard to believe considering how long FAU hung around. I wish I could believe it was on purpose, but if that's the case that is really, really stupid. We needed a confidence builder tonight more than we had to keep plays secret. We also didn't need to risk losing to FAU to keep those super double secret passes to the TE off the game film. Run your offence so the kids can learn it in a real game.

While I don't agree that Coley was holding back, it technically is possible even when tied 20-20. How?
During game week the team will practice a set of plays they plan on using in their upcoming game. If a team practices with a limited set of plays, then it is unlikely to pull other plays from the playbook during the actual game.

Advertisement
Then they are dumb for that as well. You simply can't leave plays out because you didn't focus on them during the week. There will be times when the D gives you something and you have to be smart enough to take it. My biggest gripe about Coley to date is that he appears to not have the ability to do that. That is the main reason our 3rd down conversion percentage just never goes up with him. He doesn't do a good job of finding mismatches and exploiting them.

Oh well, my rants are done for the night. We'll know more in 8 days.

While I don't agree that Coley was holding back, it technically is possible even when tied 20-20. How?
During game week the team will practice a set of plays they plan on using in their upcoming game. If a team practices with a limited set of plays, then it is unlikely to pull other plays from the playbook during the actual game.

Advertisement
Back