PJ Fleck to Minny

Advertisement
Good hire for Minnesota. Maybe he can get them to start competing with Michigan and Ohio State in the Big10.

Great move for Minn. Not sure about it for Fleck...seems odd to go to a dumpster fire unless that was the natural progression for him. If he succeeds, I think he's gone in 3 years or less

Good hire for Minnesota. Maybe he can get them to start competing with Michigan and Ohio State in the Big10.

Part time gopher fan....they'll never compete with the likes of OH St and Michigan.....Wisconsin is more likely

Smart move by Fleck. Make the move to a Power 5 team now while his stock is sky high. There's really no other high profile gigs out there.

Minnesota is such as mess if he can turn it around and make it respectable he can upgrade in a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Smart move by Fleck. Make the move to a Power 5 team now while his stock is sky high. There's really no other high profile gigs out there.

Minnesota is such as mess if he can turn it around and make it respectable he can upgrade in a couple years.

Completely agree. He played it perfectly too. Had they won the bowl game, I probably could have seen him come back for another year, but Minnesota is a solid gig. No way he duplicates what he did at WMU again so definitely smart to make the jump. He could win 8-9 games a year and parlay into a better job.

Completely agree. He played it perfectly too. Had they won the bowl game, I probably could have seen him come back for another year, but Minnesota is a solid gig. No way he duplicates what he did at WMU again so definitely smart to make the jump. He could win 8-9 games a year and parlay into a better job.

Exactly this. Win 8-9 games at Minn for 3 years and he'll be gone to a big power 5 school.

Living in B10 country my whole life, it becomes pretty apparent that most of these MAC coaches are waiting for B10 offers has opposed to some of the other P5 conferences just because they already have recruiting ties with the Midwest HS's and many of them run similar schemes. You can add in Pitt and some of the B12 schools too. For that reason I think Fleck made a really good choice heading to Minny.

It's a much better job than recent MAC defectors such as Matt Campbell (Iowa St), and that scrub that ended up at Purdue from Kent St. I'd also argue it's a slightly better job than what Babers took when he went to Syracuse. Iowa St, Purdue, and Cuse have been fighting with MAC schools for recruits for at least a decade now. I don't see Minny fighting with MAC schools quite as much for recruits. They are currently ranked 67 on 247. Western is 64 right now, but I would assume this drops after Fleck leaving, and it is also somewhat of an outlier for the MAC. The next highest ranked MAC programs are Toledo at 69 and then a big drop off with BG at 82 and CMU at 85. Fleck obviously being a pretty good recruiter, I think he improves Minny's talent considerably.

In addition, people forget that Minny went 9-4 this year. There is obviously some talent on this team. Fleck's first task is going to be convincing those considering transferring not to do so. If he can be successful in this I think he has a solid foundation that could lead to success in the future.

Advertisement
Living in B10 country my whole life, it becomes pretty apparent that most of these MAC coaches are waiting for B10 offers has opposed to some of the other P5 conferences just because they already have recruiting ties with the Midwest HS's and many of them run similar schemes. You can add in Pitt and some of the B12 schools too. For that reason I think Fleck made a really good choice heading to Minny.

It's a much better job than recent MAC defectors such as Matt Campbell (Iowa St), and that scrub that ended up at Purdue from Kent St. I'd also argue it's a slightly better job than what Babers took when he went to Syracuse. Iowa St, Purdue, and Cuse have been fighting with MAC schools for recruits for at least a decade now. I don't see Minny fighting with MAC schools quite as much for recruits. They are currently ranked 67 on 247. Western is 64 right now, but I would assume this drops after Fleck leaving, and it is also somewhat of an outlier for the MAC. The next highest ranked MAC programs are Toledo at 69 and then a big drop off with BG at 82 and CMU at 85. Fleck obviously being a pretty good recruiter, I think he improves Minny's talent considerably.

In addition, people forget that Minny went 9-4 this year. There is obviously some talent on this team. Fleck's first task is going to be convincing those considering transferring not to do so. If he can be successful in this I think he has a solid foundation that could lead to success in the future.

Living (check that, FREEEEZINGGG) in BIG country until I get my parole, I agree. Fleck can now offer that guy his former MAC coaches were looking to be a key contributor a BIG offer, while similtanously taking away some preferred walk-on depth from the upper echelon of the conference.

I love PJ Fleck. I don't think he's a big time coach...he lacks a specialty (offense/defense) that can grind him through some bad seasons...but he is infectious. Love that energy.

Minnesota needs someone with JUICE. Fleck gives them that. He needs time though. That Minnesota program is in shambles. Coach Kill and Tracy Claeys were two very good coaches but the administration is a bit of a disaster right now. Hopefully they get out of Fleck's way and let him do his job. He'll get kids there. He'll clearly coach'em up. He'll create a wonderful atmosphere and culture. But, get out of the man's way.

Advertisement
Back