Pitching Staff Velocity

Pitcher in the Rye

3) Man's Law 2) God's Law 1) Mr. Murphy's Law
Ziehl started off the game sitting 94. Great but an inning later he was down to 91. Chesnutt's fastball sat 85-87 and was low as 84 one pitch. Torres, who can easily sit 93-94 was hitting 89 on the gun. Braendel was 87. Lequerica 89. What happened to the velo? These are NAIA speeds. These guys can't possibly all have dead arm to start the season.

Advertisement
Your comment reminds me....I remember an announcer insinuating that the radar gun was wrong. It was with Chestnut. He was like that fastball looks good! Only 87 on the gun but doesn't look like 87.

I laughed. I was like really....the gun is wrong? Lol. Cmon now.

North Greenville who is #1 in D2 has 3 kids who they think will touch 100 this year.

Now I’m not one of those guys who thinks you need a roster full of flame throwers. The Chestnutts of the world can win games. But another reoccurring theme of our guys is they come in and many regress. And I don’t mean even gaining velo. But just holding it and becoming better pitchers. Sure a few develop. But there is clearly a trend for the majority.

But let’s see where things stand in a month I guess

North Greenville who is #1 in D2 has 3 kids who they think will touch 100 this year.

Now I’m not one of those guys who thinks you need a roster full of flame throwers. The Chestnutts of the world can win games. But another reoccurring theme of our guys is they come in and many regress. And I don’t mean even gaining velo. But just holding it and becoming better pitchers. Sure a few develop. But there is clearly a trend for the majority.

"North Greenville who is #1 in D2 has 3 kids who they think will touch 100 this year."
WOW

Your comment reminds me....I remember an announcer insinuating that the radar gun was wrong. It was with Chestnut. He was like that fastball looks good! Only 87 on the gun but doesn't look like 87.

I laughed. I was like really....the gun is wrong? Lol. Cmon now.

I guess is could differ depending on where it picks the ball up. MLB used to do it close to the plate but now they do it out of the hand which is part of the reason why everyone throws 98. It would be 95 pr 96 crossing the plate.

Advertisement
I guess is could differ depending on where it picks the ball up. MLB used to do it close to the plate but now they do it out of the hand which is part of the reason why everyone throws 98. It would be 95 pr 96 crossing the plate.
Thanks for that info.

The PSU pitchers were all in the 90’s with the exception of a junk balling lefty that game.

They might be building up their arm strength early in the season. Also, this is college ball, not MLB. Guys hitting 95 isn't that common.

All of that being said, lack of pitching talent is definitely a problem for this team. Let's see if they can piece it together on the mound over the course of the season.

Anyone catch Walter's readings on Sunday? Where was he at?

They might be building up their arm strength early in the season. Also, this is college ball, not MLB. Guys hitting 95 isn't that common.

All of that being said, lack of pitching talent is definitely a problem for this team. Let's see if they can piece it together on the mound over the course of the season.

He touched 97 a couple of times I believe. Mostly sat 93 - 95.

Advertisement

And his brother was just a couple MPH below that.

Rosario was touching 97 fairly effortlessly a few times. He looked pretty good but for some control issues.

The measures of pitching:
  • Velocity
The first two are more important than the third.

If you give me guys who have excellent and consistent command of their pitch location, and strong ball movement, .... they can throw batting practice speed for all I care.

Our problems with the staff the past few years haven't been because guys couldn't throw 95 mph.

Last edited:
The measures of pitching:
  • Velocity
The first two are more important than the third.

If you give me guys who have excellent and consistent command of their pitch location, and strong ball movement, .... they can throw batting practice speed for all I care.

Our problems with the staff the past few years haven't been because guys couldn't throw 95 mph.
Greg Maddux me. But seriously, control with consistency has been the bain of Miami pitching for years.

It feels like Rosario is right on the brink of breaking through. He has the stuff. He is just a kid who in high school could get away with mistakes and has taken a bit longer to realize mistakes are now missiles and getting to cute like he does at times leads to walks.

The Summer and Start 1 were def something to build on. If Ligon and Rosario can give us 6 consistently with very few let downs we can make some noise. But if every week we dont know what we are getting we are in trouble. Thats why Ill reserve any further real judgement until mid march to see a few starts, get our bats a lot of swings, and our defense reps. Baserunning...well I dont expect any vast improvement there but thats an issue across a lot of college baseball because travel ball and showcases are taking the IQ out of baseball since you are basically encouraged to be selfish to get looks.

Advertisement

Landon Powell has a **** of a team up there. I was playing against them pre-Powell and when he came along and first got them to #1 in the country. They had a kid pumping 98+ against us years ago. I saw Taylor Grover at USC Aiken throwing 102 without a clue where it was going. He hit 104 on the scouts radar gun in their conference tournament on a pitch that hit the hitter in the neck and fractured his vertebrae.

I was telling a friend the other day we saw weekend rotations and bullpens that were far deeper than the Canes with velo and stuff at the D2 level. North Greenville was one of those. Mount Olive as well.

You'll see some legit D2 pitching rotations in the Southeast region.. Peach Belt Conference, SAC, Gulf Coast Conference, and Conference Carolinas. A typical weekend is 3 90+ starters with good breaking balls and change-ups, mid 9's closing the game, upper 80s crafty guys in relief. Makes me wonder what the **** the Canes are doing with all these mid-80s guys. On the other hand.. we've had a ton of success with guys that don't break 90 like Van Belle and Bargfeldt.

Landon Powell has a **** of a team up there. I was playing against them pre-Powell and when he came along and first got them to #1 in the country. They had a kid pumping 98+ against us years ago. I saw Taylor Grover at USC Aiken throwing 102 without a clue where it was going. He hit 104 on the scouts radar gun in their conference tournament on a pitch that hit the hitter in the neck and fractured his vertebrae.

I was telling a friend the other day we saw weekend rotations and bullpens that were far deeper than the Canes with velo and stuff at the D2 level. North Greenville was one of those. Mount Olive as well.

You'll see some legit D2 pitching rotations in the Southeast region.. Peach Belt Conference, SAC, Gulf Coast Conference, and Conference Carolinas. A typical weekend is 3 90+ starters with good breaking balls and change-ups, mid 9's closing the game, upper 80s crafty guys in relief. Makes me wonder what the **** the Canes are doing with all these mid-80s guys. On the other hand.. we've had a ton of success with guys that don't break 90 like Van Belle and Bargfeldt.
and its not just the southeast region. The top teams in the PSAC up north are just as deep. Top End D2 baseball is better than a lot of low to mid D1. Sadly with the smaller draft now clubs wont take a risk on some of these guys.

Most of these D2 teams get the D1 kids who just need 1-2 years of seasoning but D1's dont want to put in the time in many cases....and understandably so because its a win now mentality.

Advertisement
and its not just the southeast region. The top teams in the PSAC up north are just as deep. Top End D2 baseball is better than a lot of low to mid D1. Sadly with the smaller draft now clubs wont take a risk on some of these guys.

Most of these D2 teams get the D1 kids who just need 1-2 years of seasoning but D1's dont want to put in the time in many cases....and understandably so because its a win now mentality.
Yep. Just not as familiar with teams outside the region here. We saw Slippery Rock a few times and they had some decent pitching but they had excellent hitters.

I played D1 and ended in D2 - we had 7 or 8 former D1 guys and most of them agreed that teams like NGU, Mount Olive, Erskine, UNC Pembroke, Catawba, and the other powerhouses in this region would win 30 games in these small school conferences that we came from. North Greenville essentially fields a D1 team of guys that legitimately played at that level and got dismissed or just wanted to come win a ring. Tons of South Carolina, Clemson, Furman, Georgia, etc ACC/SEC kids on that team. Plus Powell is legitimately developing them and coaching the **** out of them.

They took the starting catcher and 1B from Tennessee one year, plus their SS started at 2B for 3 years at Pitt, and their starting LF played quite a bit at South Carolina as a true freshman before he got dismissed. Then their 3B ended up playing all the way into AAA but never played D1.

then why aren't we portal recruiting those schools and conferences? instead of gambling on a HS kid that may go pro, get a kid in D2 that wants more exposure throwing gas.

Yeah Slippery Rock will always have some guys. Matt Adams who had some good years with the cardinals had an unreal 3 years at The Rock. Lou Trivino who is with the Yankees now was a stud for them more recently (pi’s see me off he was supposed to visit where I was but Slippery Rock made a big offer and told him he had 48 hrs to decide. They have awesome facilities too so he jumped on it.

Where did you play @JayCane20 I won’t ask you when as I don’t want to blow you up if you are trying to remain a bit private

Advertisement
Back