Pistol?

ristwasdown

Sophomore
Is our offense going to be primarily pistol based? Almost all our plays came out of it today. Didn't realize that was Gattis' bread and butter

Advertisement
giphy.gif

Advertisement
I love the pistol formation. You can still utilize spread concepts and keep the power run game, provided of course that the OL is up to that task

I was also unaware that this was Gattis’ preference - but I like it

I do as well. It can really help with run concepts but allows for depth for pre-snap reads and to quickly get the ball out.

Advertisement
Both Gattis and Mario did alot of pistol at bama, I would think more Mario than Gattis and Mario did it a ton at Oregon also. So not surprising, like others have mentioned allows for downhill run game, OZ zone runs, play action and boots naturally off those and all the read option/RPO stuff..

Who knows but the days of us being an Uptempo college spread offense are over
We ran 65 plays last night, and obviously slowed down significantly near the end of the game. But most of the time, TVD was snapping that thing with 15+ left on the clock and we hardly every huddled.

If we’re actually trying for 4 quarters, that number probably creeps into the low 70’s. 65 plays was good for middle of the pack in terms of plays per game (64th), and low 70’s would have us anywhere between low/mid 30’s and low/mid 40’s.

Point being, we may not be a blazing fast offense, but we’re not slow. Not at all. Lashlee ran 75.6 plays/game in 2021, so maybe we run 3-4 less plays a game under Gattis. We’re getting a great mix of tempo and execution, especially in the run game.

We ran 65 plays last night, and obviously slowed down significantly near the end of the game. But most of the time, TVD was snapping that thing with 15+ left on the clock and we hardly every huddled.

If we’re actually trying for 4 quarters, that number probably creeps into the low 70’s. 65 plays was good for middle of the pack in terms of plays per game (64th), and low 70’s would have us anywhere between low/mid 30’s and low/mid 40’s.

Point being, we may not be a blazing fast offense, but we’re not slow. Not at all. Lashlee ran 75.6 plays/game in 2021, so maybe we run 3-4 less plays a game under Gattis. We’re getting a great mix of tempo and execution, especially in the run game.
Not to mention, we scored awfully quick against Bethune on most drives anyway.

Advertisement
We didn't show a lot on offense but I really liked what was run so far. Honestly it looked like we were just practicing every run in the playbook......since we had 1 ******* run play with Lashlee.

Efficient passing and creative running. Haven't seen our OL get a push like that in a very long time even against teams like BCC.

🎯

They obviously slowed way down in the second half and were pretty content with just getting the game over. The early pace was similar to last year’s when TVD took over. Lashlee didn’t huddle but he slowed it down a tick. We should average between 70-75 plays per game. That’s a good spot

Advertisement
I liked what I saw for the most part. The line opened holes and the running backs were doing a good job of turning 4 or 5 yard gains into 8-9 yard gains. It’s what I wanted to see in the run game.

Passing game was efficient but still looks awkward and stilted. TVD is money and Restrepo had a great day. Mike Redding was open all day long but TVD just didn’t look his way enough. Maybe once they build up a little trust. Funny how not a single wide receiver dropped a pass in an actual game after everyone here was convinced they couldn’t catch at all. Brashard Smith and Ladson had a few nice plays. Overall, a really great balance between run and pass.

Advertisement
Back