Pinckney looking to quash slow starts, Gaynor pushing the OL to keep fighting

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With the Hurricanes coming out of their second bye week of the season, senior LB Michael Pinckney has made it his mission to make sure Miami does not come out flat on Saturday against Virginia Tech, something that happened after the first off week when UM played UNC.

“Just coming off a bye week, I think we came out slow vs. North Carolina, went down 10 and just the intensity has to be up, the want to has to be there,” Pinckney said. “We’re doing a great job getting after it. (Tuesday) was one of the best practices we had in a long time and (Wednesday) wasn’t too far off.

“I think we’re where we need to be.”

A common theme in practice this week? That’d be finishing in all aspects, including drives, tackling, and more.

“Just coming out and we’re preaching finishing, there’s things we haven’t finished on in a long time and I think this week we’ve been doing that,” Pinckney said.

Fellow senior LB Zach McCloud announced last week that he would take a redshirt and sit out the rest of the season so as to potentially get more playing time in 2020. Pinckney’s reaction to the news was more shocked at first, but gradually turned into respect and admiration for the sacrifice.

“We were at practice going through warm-ups, he’s like `I’m going to redshirt,’” Pinckney said. “I thought he was playing with me. He said `No, I’m serious, I’m redshirting’.

“That’s a grown man’s decision. That’s tough for any player to do, he’s been a three-year starter. You have to take it for what it’s worth and be strong enough mentally to take that and do what’s the best thing for the team and yourself. Hats off to him for the way he’s worked. … How he’s going about it is great.”

**With his unit arguably struggling the most on the team, sophomore offensive lineman Corey Gaynor made clear that the OL is continuing to work hard to improve.

“Of course, some criticism is fair for us, as is every position,” Gaynor said. “It’s football. You play the next play and ultimately mistakes happen. It’s how you react to those mistakes that ultimately make you the player that you are. So we’re going to keep fighting, keep working hard.”

On LT Zion Nelson: “He’s a true freshman and things will happen. All we can do is keep working and clean up his mistakes and my mistakes and everyone’s mistakes.”

Going up against Coastal division rival Virginia Tech this week, many expect Hokies DC Bud Foster to devise a gameplan centered on attacking the Miami OL in various manners.

“In prep, the guys have reacted the way you’d want them to react competition-wise,” Gaynor said of looking towards VT. “I’m comfortable with any five guys we decide to put out there.”

The Canes’ OL had a rough go vs. Central Michigan in their last outing, ceding 4 sacks and 9 TFL to a MAC opponent. What makes Gaynor confident things will change this weekend vs. the Hokies?

“I have a lot of respect for Central Michigan’s defensive line, they played really hard, and ultimately, they made more plays than we did,” Gaynor said. “We’re just going to play to our standard, play 100 percent, give our heart out on the field every Saturday, do what we can… We won’t fold on one another, not one person will take the blame. And it’s a great group of guys to be around. I love being a part of this offensive line.”

**In his first year starting, sophomore CB DJ Ivey is a key part of a young secondary trying to find it’s footing so far in 2019. So far, the Canes are 49th in the country in passing yards per game (209.8 ypg), a steep decline from the lofty top spot in the nation they held to end 2018.

“We’re very young,” Ivey said. “It’s my first year actually being out on the field actually playing. It’s a big step for me personally. The younger dudes playing on third down defense, they just have to grow and grow.”

Miscommunications have been cited as something that has plagued the UM secondary to start the season, but Ivey feels the DB corps is becoming more comfortable with each other.

“These past two weeks we actually have been communicating pretty well, better than previous times,” Ivey said. “We’re just trying to be the best we can be.”

Ivey won the #2 job over fellow sophomore Al Blades, but says the pair have continued the competition in practice throughout the season.

“We just keep each other going. I’m just trying to be the best I can be. We keep going in practice every day,” Ivey said of Blades.

With VT on tap this weekend, the Hokies bring a QB making his first career start and a passing game that has been one of the worst in the country at 86th (214.8 ypg).

“I expect them to come and play,” Ivey said. “They just lost a game, want a big win in Miami. I’m not going to underestimate them… We just go prepare and play for the team, are not worried about who is at quarterback.”

Advertisement
I rewatched that CMU game ... let me tell you, Zion Nelson played even worse than I thought. And we continue to hear he's the best we have for the position. Left Tackle is the most important position on the OL.

My goodness, how far have we fallen?

That's called poor coaching.

Advertisement
You hate to pick apart these interviews, buuuut it's very disconcerting to hear of coming out "flat", what does it take FFS, you only have twelve games?

This seems to be an issue for Miami for as long as I can remember.
It may be disconcerting but how can they not address it when all that they've heard from the media and fans is coming out "flat".

In some regards, this was the wrong time to have a bye week. After a performance like CMU, I would think they'd want to get back on the field and wash off the stench of that performance.

I rewatched that CMU game ... let me tell you, Zion Nelson played even worse than I thought. And we continue to hear he's the best we have for the position. Left Tackle is the most important position on the OL.

My goodness, how far have we fallen?

That's called poor coaching.

... hence why Miami is on it's fifth head coach in 14 seasons.

Brand new staff this year with a true freshman at left tackle—tells you all you need to know about the state of the program Diaz took over.

Advertisement
it isnt rocket science for a freshman to figure out how to turn left and block the blind side for the qb. at least trip the guy if you get beat or grab him.

zion better man up quick. there is no excuse. none zero nada zip. this is not complicated. if he cant get a hand on a guy he should sit his *** down on the bench. talented linemen do not perform this poorly even at the freshman level.

Absolutely! Need players that hate to losing! I can't think of one on the team.

i'm with ya man. i can't think of one player that hates losing. if only there was a way to find that out. i'd bet they all even rather enjoy it.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
For me they are all talk now. It’s about action. It’s been 15 years of “oh we are so different now and don’t take anyone for granted”

Then we dance. Then we get our *** beat.

I am way over talk. Just prove it on the field first.

Advertisement
To me is all talk as well but not because if they choose to elevate their they can. But they can't, bc they're not talented. So expecting someone that isn't talented to stop talking and walk the walk is like beating a dead horse. We need better talent in recruiting, period. Also someone that can coach them up.

With the Hurricanes coming out of their second bye week of the season, senior LB Michael Pinckney has made it his mission to make sure Miami does not come out flat on Saturday against Virginia Tech, something that happened after the first off week when UM played UNC.

“Just coming off a bye week, I think we came out slow vs. North Carolina, went down 10 and just the intensity has to be up, the want to has to be there,” Pinckney said. “We’re doing a great job getting after it. (Tuesday) was one of the best practices we had in a long time and (Wednesday) wasn’t too far off.

“I think we’re where we need to be.”

A common theme in practice this week? That’d be finishing in all aspects, including drives, tackling, and more.

“Just coming out and we’re preaching finishing, there’s things we haven’t finished on in a long time and I think this week we’ve been doing that,” Pinckney said.

Fellow senior LB Zach McCloud announced last week that he would take a redshirt and sit out the rest of the season so as to potentially get more playing time in 2020. Pinckney’s reaction to the news was more shocked at first, but gradually turned into respect and admiration for the sacrifice.

“We were at practice going through warm-ups, he’s like `I’m going to redshirt,’” Pinckney said. “I thought he was playing with me. He said `No, I’m serious, I’m redshirting’.

“That’s a grown man’s decision. That’s tough for any player to do, he’s been a three-year starter. You have to take it for what it’s worth and be strong enough mentally to take that and do what’s the best thing for the team and yourself. Hats off to him for the way he’s worked. … How he’s going about it is great.”

**With his unit arguably struggling the most on the team, sophomore offensive lineman Corey Gaynor made clear that the OL is continuing to work hard to improve.

“Of course, some criticism is fair for us, as is every position,” Gaynor said. “It’s football. You play the next play and ultimately mistakes happen. It’s how you react to those mistakes that ultimately make you the player that you are. So we’re going to keep fighting, keep working hard.”

On LT Zion Nelson: “He’s a true freshman and things will happen. All we can do is keep working and clean up his mistakes and my mistakes and everyone’s mistakes.”

Going up against Coastal division rival Virginia Tech this week, many expect Hokies DC Bud Foster to devise a gameplan centered on attacking the Miami OL in various manners.

“In prep, the guys have reacted the way you’d want them to react competition-wise,” Gaynor said of looking towards VT. “I’m comfortable with any five guys we decide to put out there.”

The Canes’ OL had a rough go vs. Central Michigan in their last outing, ceding 4 sacks and 9 TFL to a MAC opponent. What makes Gaynor confident things will change this weekend vs. the Hokies?

“I have a lot of respect for Central Michigan’s defensive line, they played really hard, and ultimately, they made more plays than we did,” Gaynor said. “We’re just going to play to our standard, play 100 percent, give our heart out on the field every Saturday, do what we can… We won’t fold on one another, not one person will take the blame. And it’s a great group of guys to be around. I love being a part of this offensive line.”

**In his first year starting, sophomore CB DJ Ivey is a key part of a young secondary trying to find it’s footing so far in 2019. So far, the Canes are 49th in the country in passing yards per game (209.8 ypg), a steep decline from the lofty top spot in the nation they held to end 2018.

“We’re very young,” Ivey said. “It’s my first year actually being out on the field actually playing. It’s a big step for me personally. The younger dudes playing on third down defense, they just have to grow and grow.”

Miscommunications have been cited as something that has plagued the UM secondary to start the season, but Ivey feels the DB corps is becoming more comfortable with each other.

“These past two weeks we actually have been communicating pretty well, better than previous times,” Ivey said. “We’re just trying to be the best we can be.”

Ivey won the #2 job over fellow sophomore Al Blades, but says the pair have continued the competition in practice throughout the season.

“We just keep each other going. I’m just trying to be the best I can be. We keep going in practice every day,” Ivey said of Blades.

With VT on tap this weekend, the Hokies bring a QB making his first career start and a passing game that has been one of the worst in the country at 86th (214.8 ypg).

“I expect them to come and play,” Ivey said. “They just lost a game, want a big win in Miami. I’m not going to underestimate them… We just go prepare and play for the team, are not worried about who is at quarterback.”

I stopped reading here “I think we’re where we need to be.”

Advertisement
56 ain't been the same since his fr year
Has too many plays where he plays lazy. He’s got to come on strong the rest of the season if it he wants to be anything better than a 6th round pick at this point

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back