Picked to finish 10th in Men's basketball. We are better than that. Shock the world Canes.

Advertisement

If all 11 guys were healthy and eligible to play at the start of this season, I could make a case for the top 6. Miami is better than some people think and should of the teams people think will be good are going to be a disappointment.

Miami is in a prime position to raise some eyebrows this season.

That is a tremendous “if” and for whatever reason Brooks isn’t playing.

So to review our 11 “total” scholarships being used:

1. 1 is being used by a player who is sitting out (Brooks),
2. 2 are for players coming off serious injuries (Gak and Deng), and
3. 3 are for true freshman (Walker, Wong and Bev).

Also, let’s not forget that some of the others (NOT mentioned above) are not exactly the best of the best.

Perhaps 10th is pretty fair given the stuff above.

Please note: I am not saying that true freshman aren’t capable of coming in and dominating or contributing quality burn, we’ve seen it here before, I am just pointing out that ~30% of our total scholarships are for players who have no experience at this level.

Also, let’s not forget that some of the others (NOT mentioned above) are not exactly the best of the best.

Please note: I am not saying that true freshman aren’t capable of coming in and dominating or contributing quality burn, we’ve seen it here before, I am just pointing out that ~30% of our total scholarships are for players who have no experience at this level.

I see your point as Miami has more unknowns than known commodities going into this season.

The biggest thing I learned from reading about the 3 exhibition games in Italy is that this group can score. If they carry over what occurred in Italy into this season, then this group should average around 90 points per game. My three issues with this group are depth (health), rebounding and defense. I don't expect this group to be good defensively until January given the inexperience of the group. I expect them to play good defense in spots during the game. The three biggest games of the non-conference schedule are Illinois, Florida and Temple. If Miami scores 90 points or above and gets some timely stops and rebounds then this season should be pretty good.

The biggest factor with the freshman will be Coach L. If he let's them play and learn from their mistakes then Miami will be pretty good. If he goes with a 6 or 7 man rotation causing Rodney and Sam to play extended minutes then 10th is accurate, unless they have taken a step up in their development.

I believe Gak and Deng are the same person.

Advertisement
I see your point as Miami has more unknowns than known commodities going into this season.

The biggest thing I learned from reading about the 3 exhibition games in Italy is that this group can score. If they carry over what occurred in Italy into this season, then this group should average around 90 points per game. My three issues with this group are depth (health), rebounding and defense. I don't expect this group to be good defensively until January given the inexperience of the group. I expect them to play good defense in spots during the game. The three biggest games of the non-conference schedule are Illinois, Florida and Temple. If Miami scores 90 points or above and gets some timely stops and rebounds then this season should be pretty good.

The biggest factor with the freshman will be Coach L. If he let's them play and learn from their mistakes then Miami will be pretty good. If he goes with a 6 or 7 man rotation causing Rodney and Sam to play extended minutes then 10th is accurate, unless they have taken a step up in their development.
No way we average 90 pts a game. 75 would be a good number to strive for.

Are you using our performance in Italy as a serious metric for this season?

Advertisement
The one positive thing about the starting 5 of Lykes, DJ, Kam, Berg, Miller is age and experience.

A lot will be asked of Beverly, Wong, Walker while Stone and Gak work their way back.

Bigs are sketchy at best, hopefully this team surprises
I agree. With Brooks, we'd have had a much better shot. I'm interested to see how well our bigs do rebounding on both ends, and effectively putting a body on the physically strong opponents they'll be facing. Also waiting to see whether we try to press and run more with these guards and wings who are the strength of this squad.

Advertisement
You missed the point but whatever.

It is a very small sample size but it is a sample. Just being honest, those exhibition games are not intended for NCAA teams to lose or get challenged so I agree, I don't put a lot of stock in them. However, any positive you find in an unknown is a good thing.

Advertisement
I believe Gak and Deng are the same person.
Well, check the football board, where I've speculated that the reason for so many Nigel Bethel's is that they engage in ameoba-like division.

There could be a similar phenomenon at work here...it's just that one part became Gak and the other one is now just Deng.

When you recruit an organism that might be likely to subdivide, be sure you know that in advance and allocate your scholarships wisely. You don't want to all-of-sudden find out that you bumped the limit. (The 12 suddenly becomes 13).

It goes without saying, that extraterrestrial aliens have invaded college sports.

Stone's out till January, so we're down to 9 already. Last year didn't teach em a **** thing.

We will have an idea right out of the gate playing Louisville in our place....

Advertisement
Back