Physicality and Linebacker size

Advertisement
Beason, Vilma, Ray Lewis, D.Smith, Nate Webster, Sean Spence, Rohan... All considered undersized college LBs..

**** size. Give me agressive grimey LBs with instincts.
Were they slow? Were they fat? Were their hands slow af in promo ran by abc in whats supposed to be boxing highlights?! You cant be small, fat, slow af and think you can throw hands but you embarrassing yourself even worse man, WTF is going on?!

I was bringing this up all summer but probably dismissed as a mope or some ****, how you have starting LB that are 5'9 slow af and undersized and out of shape at same time, man wtf we doing, this the best we can do?!

Yeah I don't really know about that. Some of our best linebackers of all time were undersized. Now I know the game is changed and OL are much bigger, but if I saw a bunch of guys taking good angles in good position and just bouncing off guys all the time, I might think there was something there. But I don't think size is the problem really.

Advertisement
This defense has ****** tacklers of all sizes so it doesn’t matter. Our safeties are prototypical, but suck at tackling unless they get a good run at someone’s knees.
Heck even our DTs suck at tackling, bunch of arm tacklers. We don’t have DEs so no point in talking about them.
Our special teams are the farthest thing from special. You see the lack of size and speed when we cover kicks.
This roster is in trouble. I’ll be honest I don’t see it in the young guys either. Kinchens seems slow, I don’t see any explosion from him. He’s been solid, but doesn’t jump off the screen.

Love couch but he’s a cover corner, he’s still pretty small.
Blades looks overweight unless he’s moving to safety.
Jwill seems legit, but I think he needs to be a striker, doesn’t have the speed for safety from what I’ve seen. But I’m sure he will continue to get bigger, so if he can keep his speed he’d be a beast at striker.
We need to let some young guys like LT play so he doesn’t transfer. Tae Williams had better be handed a spot once eligible! He can choose Bolden or Hall. Neither are good enough.

Honestly sans Stevenson I don’t see a legit playmaker outside of Couch. EVERY single other position should be leveled on the depth chart.
JWill needs a jabril peppers role

Yes, we are SMALL... But our biggest issue is our best tackler is literally the smallest guy on the team, cOUCH.
You are correct with Couch being the best tackler so that really proves you do not have to be large to be a good tackler, it all about heart, desire and being willing to hit

Predraft Beason weighed 237, Vilma 233, Lewis 235, Smith 228, Spence 231, and Marley was 205. Yes instincts are important but you have to have some size to bring the big backs down.
That's predraft. Would be surprised if they played here at those weights.

Advertisement
Although more size & strength is needed people need to realize there is a big distinction from size & physicality

It's just funny cause we have Huff, TAC, and Troutman riding pine when these are exactly the type of LB's who are fast and athletic.

Analytics Head Coach who grew up watching the 80s and 90s Hurricane teams. Now he’s the HC and he thinks this is a video game or something. He wants to have a fast team but you can’t sacrifice all your size for speed.
Especially when u have no actual speed

Advertisement
Back