Physicality and Linebacker size

SJMPARMAN

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
When you play a big 10 style team you have to be physical. In watching a few clips from Saturday's game I wanted to see how we match up physically. This is the rost of our LB's and strikers. We are seriously undersized.

LB's
Gilbert Frierson 6-1 210
Sam Brooks 6-2 230
Avery Huff 6-3 205
Corey Flagg 5-11 230
Waynmon Steed 6-0 225
Tirek Austin Cave 6-1 225
Deshaun Trautman 6-1 215
Ryan Ragone 5-11 220
Shawn Sawyer 6-3 225
Bradley Jennings 6-1 230
Jack Hoffman 6-1 215
Tyler Johnson 6-3 212

Strikers
Gilbert Frierson 6-1 210
Keontra Smith 5-11 205
Chase Smith 6-2 210

There is a serious lack of size in that group so it is hard to be physical. I think most would agree our best recent LB group was Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud in 2017. How do they compare in size to what we have now?

Shaq 6-1 240
Pinckney 6-1 220
McCloud 6-2 254

Advertisement
Analytics Head Coach who grew up watching the 80s and 90s Hurricane teams. Now he’s the HC and he thinks this is a video game or something. He wants to have a fast team but you can’t sacrifice all your size for speed.

When you play a big 10 style team you have to be physical. In watching a few clips from Saturday's game I wanted to see how we match up physically. This is the rost of our LB's and strikers. We are seriously undersized.

LB's
Gilbert Frierson 6-1 210
Sam Brooks 6-2 230
Avery Huff 6-3 205
Corey Flagg 5-11 230
Waynmon Steed 6-0 225
Tirek Austin Cave 6-1 225
Deshaun Trautman 6-1 215
Ryan Ragone 5-11 220
Shawn Sawyer 6-3 225
Bradley Jennings 6-1 230
Jack Hoffman 6-1 215
Tyler Johnson 6-3 212

Strikers
Gilbert Frierson 6-1 210
Keontra Smith 5-11 205
Chase Smith 6-2 210

There is a serious lack of size in that group so it is hard to be physical. I think most would agree our best recent LB group was Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud in 2017. How do they compare in size to what we have now?

Shaq 6-1 240
Pinckney 6-1 220
McCloud 6-2 254
McCloud did not play LB at 254, He played at around 230. Your point still stands though. But the reason that position suck is not lack of size but lack of recruiting talented players and coaching.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Analytics Head Coach who grew up watching the 80s and 90s Hurricane teams. Now he’s the HC and he thinks this is a video game or something. He wants to have a fast team but you can’t sacrifice all your size for speed.
Funny thing is the linebackers are small AND slow as ****. Just incredible how poorly it's been recruited.

Advertisement
Remember when Greg Rousseau was a DE here at 6’7 and 260? Where’s that guy when you need him. Or phillips as a physical freak. Or garvin or joe jax. We got no freaks at the position we always did. Linebackers is just a comedy of errors. Won’t even start. Jennings is 230 but runs like he’s 305

Advertisement
This defense has ****** tacklers of all sizes so it doesn’t matter. Our safeties are prototypical, but suck at tackling unless they get a good run at someone’s knees.
Heck even our DTs suck at tackling, bunch of arm tacklers. We don’t have DEs so no point in talking about them.
Our special teams are the farthest thing from special. You see the lack of size and speed when we cover kicks.
This roster is in trouble. I’ll be honest I don’t see it in the young guys either. Kinchens seems slow, I don’t see any explosion from him. He’s been solid, but doesn’t jump off the screen.

Love couch but he’s a cover corner, he’s still pretty small.
Blades looks overweight unless he’s moving to safety.
Jwill seems legit, but I think he needs to be a striker, doesn’t have the speed for safety from what I’ve seen. But I’m sure he will continue to get bigger, so if he can keep his speed he’d be a beast at striker.
We need to let some young guys like LT play so he doesn’t transfer. Tae Williams had better be handed a spot once eligible! He can choose Bolden or Hall. Neither are good enough.

Honestly sans Stevenson I don’t see a legit playmaker outside of Couch. EVERY single other position should be leveled on the depth chart.

Advertisement
We tackle poorly and are soft and get physically outmatched

O wait who is teaching our D how to tackle and set a physical tone..

Manny has to go

Beason, Vilma, Ray Lewis, D.Smith, Nate Webster, Sean Spence, Rohan... All considered undersized college LBs..

**** size. Give me agressive grimey LBs with instincts.
Predraft Beason weighed 237, Vilma 233, Lewis 235, Smith 228, Spence 231, and Marley was 205. Yes instincts are important but you have to have some size to bring the big backs down.

Advertisement
Back