Phillips Names Miami Early Leader

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2015 Miami Central (Fla.) Receiver Devonte Phillips is considered to be one of the top receivers in South Florida for his class.

Phillips was in attendance for Sunday’s Miami NFTC and was looking to improve his game.

“I’m just coming out here to try and get better and to try and compete with others and see others get better as well.”

Phillips was a part of a dynamic offense last year and helped make some big plays to keep them in some key games. Phillips is heading into the upcoming season with the same mentality but also taking a leadership role.

“I’m looking to help make big plays for my team and help my team stay together and make that one goal which is to win states again.”

While the 6’1 200 pound receiver is only a rising junior, he is still being chased by some of the top programs in the nation.

“Right now, UM is at the top of my list and Clemson and Alabama are the other schools in my list who I’m thinking about.”

Phillips already holds an offer from the ‘Canes and talked a little bit about why Miami is so high on his list.

“They are like family, they treat you like a brother or a son; they’re all really good people there. James Coley, he shows me a lot of love and he tells me I would make a big effort if I was in his offense.”

Another school that Phillips has taken a liking to is the Crimson Tide and he cites their offense and the idea of leaving the hometown.

“I just like they offense and I just want to experience something out of state.”

The Central product was in attendance for a recent Miami Junior Day and talked about the experience.

“I was at Miami about two weeks ago, I went to the UM Basketball game and they were showing me a lot of love.”

While Phillips is only a rising junior, he does know when he plans to make a decision.

“I don’t want to make a decision yet, but I want to visit more schools to see what I will do.”

Advertisement
Phillips will be the 2015 Grace, no way he slips away with the studs recruiting him to come to Miami...

Advertisement
Phillips will be the 2015 Grace, no way he slips away with the studs recruiting him to come to Miami...

194.jpg

Imagine, two high school running back teammates in the top 5 in their respective positions in the COUNTRY playin together at the U? You can't write a better script than that...

Advertisement
2015 Miami Central (Fla.) Receiver Devonte Phillips is considered to be one of the top receivers in South Florida for his class.

Another school that Phillips has taken a liking to is the Crimson Tide and he cites their offense and the idea of leaving the hometown.

“I just like they offense and I just want to experience something out of state.

“I don’t want to make a decision yet, but I want to visit more schools to see what I will do.”

Hopefully those visits are enough of an experience and that mommy is a **** good cook. Stay home young man.

love this kid he is a baller him and brewton from Miami Central in 2015 would be realllll nice help with the building/maintenance of the pipeline.

**** how recruiting changes, just came across this. This good example for many peeps. Even though he hasn't signed LOI or committed yet anywhere. Recruiting is always changing, and always in motion, things change, things happen, feelings change.

Not trying to get anyone worried, just bringing something up as example.

Reason why I feel we must temper expectations on 2016. Long way to go, not trying to worry anyone. But staff definitely has work ahead of them but the again, I get feeling these guys are banding together in 2016 cause they see something special, could definitely see the current ones sticking. Wonder if Gardner has pondered the thought of flipping back with the UF dumpster fire going on now,

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back