Phillips commits to Miami

That’s not the point. The point is taking a year off of football does not do anything to prevent another concussion.

This isn’t back surgery or knee rehab. He’s not strengthening anything in his time off.

The dude is cleared. If he gets popped again with a bad concussion it can happen anytime, whether he plays in 2019 or 2020.
It’s not about the concussions, it’s the wrist injury he’s trying to completely recover from

Advertisement
You're just off on this. Manny Navarro has a good interview with Phillips that covers it.

Phillips was in a car accident in January 2018. He broke his wrist and has had 2 major surgeries. He said he played hurt last year and is only 60-70% now. He wants to take 2019 off to heal and get back in football shape.

Thanks for informing me. I hadn’t seen anyone speak on it and The Athletic has a paywall.

It’s not about the concussions, it’s the wrist injury he’s trying to completely recover from

Is that what had him retire in the first place or was it the concussions?

I had no idea about the wrists. Good lookin.

I’m trying to find where exactly his alleged concussions were an issue. He said multiple injuries. Where did he or the coaches/medical staff say he had concussion issues? I remember people were worrying about Sidney Crosby. His concussions are taking him all the way to the hockey hall of fame.
Phillips had one in 2017 and another in 2018 and that came from a school spokesperson. If his concussions were an “issue” the school itself would’ve made him retire. If anything I think they poorly evaluated his wrist injury which was more of a problem imo if he was playing without a brace. I’ve seen football players themselves say they get at least one per season but they don’t tell the trainers or the trainers fail to recognize it.

Edit: there are some sites that state his 2017 season was cut short due to injuries and not a concussion.

Advertisement
I’m trying to find where exactly his alleged concussions were an issue. He said multiple injuries. Where did he or the coaches/medical staff say he had concussion issues? I remember people were worrying about Sidney Crosby. His concussions are taking him all the way to the hockey hall of fame.
Phillips had one in 2017 and another in 2018 and that came from a school spokesperson. If his concussions were an “issue” the school itself would’ve made him retire. If anything I think they poorly evaluated his wrist injury which was more of a problem imo if he was playing without a brace. I’ve seen football players themselves say they get at least one per season but they don’t tell the trainers or the trainers fail to recognize it.

Edit: there are some sites that state his 2017 season was cut short due to injuries and not a concussion.
He said it was his third or fourth since the age 10 and UCLA advised him to retire after the last one.

It looks like he had a scaphoid fracture nonunion. These can develop avascular necrosis in the proximal fragment and eventually lead to what is called a SNAC wrist. Proximal row carpectomy is one if the surgical options for this condition. Given that this has already been done, there's not much for a surgeon to do at this point short of fusing the whole wrist. Regardless, UM has a great hand orthopedics department led by Patrick Owens who operates on many of the local pro athletes.

Curious as to why people keep mentioning a year off for him as if he needs the time off. To my knowledge he hasn’t had major surgery or is recovering from anything. He simply had a few concussions and is cleared now.
Wrong

Advertisement
If he sits this year does he have 2 or 3 years left? Asking for my friend Mr. Diesel.

2 years. Always follow the 5 years to play 4 rule.

However, at the conclusion of his 5th year, he could petition the NCAA for a 6th year, arguing that his second year was too injury plagued to count.

It looks like he had a scaphoid fracture nonunion. These can develop avascular necrosis in the proximal fragment and eventually lead to what is called a SNAC wrist. Proximal row carpectomy is one if the surgical options for this condition. Given that this has already been done, there's not much for a surgeon to do at this point short of fusing the whole wrist. Regardless, UM has a great hand orthopedics department led by Patrick Owens who operates on many of the local pro athletes.
It’s literally called a snac wrist? I’ve eaten thousands of chips and never heard of this injury.

Will he count toward 2020 or 19? Apologies if this was already addressed; didn’t see it if it was.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back