Phillips commits to Miami

Advertisement
why are you complaining about Miami getting the #1 recruit in the country in the 2017 class? Come on man...

Not complaining. Dont care if he is the #1 ranked player in the Universe and cures cancer.

If he cant get/stay on field due to injuries, and his recent past shows he cant, then he becomes a spectator taking a schollie..not a player.

I hope he arrives and crushes it, we all do.

Im just saying he comes with high risk due to his injuries.

If it's true that UCLA no longer has his major, that actually seems like a fairly legitimate cause for a waiver. It's better than some of the other reasons I've heard, but, then again, it is the NCAA and Miami.
Unless something has changed, we do not want his eligibility for next year. We want him to take a full year off, heal, train, get his mind right and be ready for 2020.

Advertisement
If he sits this year does he have 2 or 3 years left? Asking for my friend Mr. Diesel.

He has played how much and how consistently over past 2 seasons due to injuries?
If he cant get and stay on field, what exactly is tje benefit of jom occupying a scholie slot?

I guess we just have a different definition for “high risk” and that’s perfectly ok.
I don’t really see it as that much of a risk since he won’t be here as long as a High School player would be.

Advertisement
Not complaining. Dont care if he is the #1 ranked player in the Universe and cures cancer.

If he cant get/stay on field due to injuries, and his recent past shows he cant, then he becomes a spectator taking a schollie..not a player.

I hope he arrives and crushes it, we all do.

Im just saying he comes with high risk due to his injuries.
There's no high risk. He's a free signing. We won't even use up all 85 scholarships in 2019. So, if he doesn't plan out, nothing lost.

I guess Frank Gore is injury prone because he's had several knee injuries in his career. Injuries are a part of the game. I don't know how you or anyone else says a guy is injury prone. That's like saying you are accident prone when someone runs a red light and hits you. Most if not all injuries are out of a person's control other than equipment and technique. Even then you can't control the wreck.

Discontinued Academic Program Exception - Student-athletes may transfer and play immediately if their academic program was discontinued and they enroll in the same major they were studying at the previous school.

Nice work Tip

Advertisement
There's a really great article about Phillips by Manny Navarro in the Athletic tonight. He is going to sit out 2019 and play for 2020. He will be on campus in July but not officially enroll until the fall camp starts - he will essentially Blue shirt for us. He is all about getting settled in school and getting himself acclimated to the program. Here's a couple of quotes from the interview:

“The energy over there right now is crazy. The thing about this whole portal thing is they’re **** near making a super team. It’s almost like some Golden State Warriors thing — just kind of the hype built around it. Being able to get (former Ohio State quarterback) Tate (Martell), (former USC safety Bubba) Bolden, (former UCLA defensive tackle) Chigozie (Nnoruka) and me, you can feel the energy building up. There’s a lot of good things are going to happen soon.”

Really love this kid's energy and drive. He is ultra competitive and like Chad Thomas, has a passion for both football and music.

Unless something has changed, we do not want his eligibility for next year. We want him to take a full year off, heal, train, get his mind right and be ready for 2020.

Curious as to why people keep mentioning a year off for him as if he needs the time off. To my knowledge he hasn’t had major surgery or is recovering from anything. He simply had a few concussions and is cleared now.

Advertisement
Curious as to why people keep mentioning a year off for him as if he needs the time off. To my knowledge he hasn’t had major surgery or is recovering from anything. He simply had a few concussions and is cleared now.

"He simply had a few concussions"?? This is not something U wanna mess with. SMDH

"He simply had a few concussions"?? This is not something U wanna mess with. SMDH

That’s not the point. The point is taking a year off of football does not do anything to prevent another concussion.

This isn’t back surgery or knee rehab. He’s not strengthening anything in his time off.

The dude is cleared. If he gets popped again with a bad concussion it can happen anytime, whether he plays in 2019 or 2020.

He had a wrist injury from getting hit by a car too.

You're just off on this. Manny Navarro has a good interview with Phillips that covers it.

Phillips was in a car accident in January 2018. He broke his wrist and has had 2 major surgeries. He said he played hurt last year and is only 60-70% now. He wants to take 2019 off to heal and get back in football shape.

Advertisement
Back