Phil Steele has UM Ranked 37th in His Anual CFB Magazine

Advertisement
By the looks of those rankings we have 3 teams on the schedule ranked above us...UNC, FSU, and Louisville. I have also seen Nebraska ranked in a lot of other pre-season polls. Those will be our 4 toughest games and you can throw Va. Tech in there since they always seem to give us problems no matter what. 5 challenging games and I even am slightly scared about Cincy and Ga Tech. This season could either be an amazing year or a downright awful one...it all comes down to AG and his staff. Can they help the team rally around Olsen and can our defense step up and make plays when they need to. Here's my prediction of the season...

@Louisville- (W) - Very close but we pull it out...Louisville isn't what they were last season.

Florida A&M- (W) -Nothing to talk about here.

Arkansas State- (W) -A tougher game then most expect, this team won their conference last year and will wanna roll into Sun Life and make a statement that they can play with the big boys...however we show them who's boss and pull away by quite a bit in the second half.

@Nebraska - (L) -We play them tight all game but Olsen makes a costly freshman mistake by throwing a pick late game and Nebraska holds on

Duke - (W) - they play us close in the first half and then we pull away for a modest victory.

@Georgia Tech - (W) - A little nervous about this one in Atlanta...I say we win the game in the 4th quarter but they give us all we can handle.

Cincinnati - (W) - We play well from the get go and win this one by a decent amount in a good showing from both sides of the ball.

@Virginia Tech - (W) - They too are breaking in a frosh quarterback and although the game is on the road we are coming off a bye week...I think we pull this one out even in a very rowdy Lane Stadium.

North Carolina - (L) - UNC punches us in the mouth from the start and we never recuperate. We make the game close late but not enough to win in a comeback.

Florida State - (L) - Coming off a bye week and playing at home will have us ready to go and on fire. We will come out the gates hot but Florida State (it kills me to say this) will show us whose the better team and why they are the reigning national champs and current #1 team in the country. They beat us by 10 in this one.

@Virginia - (W) - Coming off two straight losses we're ****ed off and smack Virginia around all game for an easy win.

Pittsburgh - (W) - A closer game then anticipated at first but we blow them away in the second half and secure the season ending win.

UNC screws up in the other division games and we somehow win the Coastal...we meet FSU in a rematch and they beat us again in another close one.

Bowl Game (W) - I think whoever we play after the season will prob be a win.

Overall I believe this is a little harsh but also realistic predictions for a team breaking in a quarterback and a coach who is still unproven. As much as I see us losing to Nebraska and UNC....I also see us winning those games as well if we play well. I hope my canes prove me wrong and smack around everybody but for now only time will tell.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and you are obviously a young kid. let me tell you a secret:

this season will be a dumpster fire. I have been a Canes fan for about 30 years, and I have never seen a coach come into a season already a dead man walking. we are in a really odd situation because F.A.G. has been exposed in a very short time period. merely 3 years (less really)

and the guy made NO CHANGES. and we are rolling with a FR QB that by all reports looks like garbage.

when you have a terrible defense and a ****** QB, you are in big big trouble.

I wouldnt be surprised at a 5-7 type season. if you pin me down I'd pick 6-6 or 7-5 but 5-7 is far more likely than 8-4 IMO

I love when people pick a W in a bowl game vs an unknown team

what on earth makes anyone think that this staff can win a bowl game? was it the performance vs. UL.

I know I know that was all Morris' fault. right

Advertisement
Phil Steele has to be the worse mag out there. Pure hot garbage.

Strongly disagree.

He's by far the best in the business. Nobody puts a better mag out there. Athlon, Street & Smith's, Lindy's, etc... aren't nearly as comprehensive, and their predictions are no better.

Phil Steele has to be the worse mag out there. Pure hot garbage.

Strongly disagree.

He's by far the best in the business. Nobody puts a better mag out there. Athlon, Street & Smith's, Lindy's, etc... aren't nearly as comprehensive, and their predictions are no better.

This is like arguing the merits of the Atari 2600 vs the Nintendo 8 bit.

Neither have been relevant for decades.

Advertisement
Golden just gets it. LOL! In four short years he has the program in the top 37! THAT'S CORCHIN'!

BTW, I think we do get to 7-5 this year, but only because of the incredibly weak ACC and 3 easy OOC games.

And I believe that 7-5 should mean Golden is run out of town.

Advertisement
For those that are saying Phil Steele is irrelevant or "whoever the **** that is"...you're really showing your lack of football awareness. He is the best there is. For him to have us as low as #37 says alot. Not alot of faith in the Canes going into this season.

For those that are saying Phil Steele is irrelevant or "whoever the **** that is"...you're really showing your lack of football awareness. He is the best there is. For him to have us as low as #37 says alot. Not alot of faith in the Canes going into this season.

He's the best there is at what exactly? I hope you aren't referring to NCAA football prognostication. Because he isn't the best at that.

His 2013 predictions:

1: Bama
2: Ohio St.
3: FSU
4: Texas
5: Oregon
6: USC
7: L'VIlle
8: Ok St.
9: Georgia
10: N.D.
11: Stanford
12: Vag. Tech
13: T A&M
14: South Carolina
15: Clemson

25: Miami

https://www.philsteele.com/miscpages/2013Top40Countdown.html

He had us ranked 25th pre-season last year...we finished ranked something like in the 40's so if there is any consistency to his madness we will end up somewhere in the 50's at the end of this season.

He's a hack just like everyone else that still actually publishes a magazine. By the time these magazines hit the stands their information is mostly already outdated, irrelevant or stale.

Welcome to the interweb era.

Last edited:
@Virginia - (W) - Coming off two straight losses we're ****ed off and smack Virginia around all game for an easy win.

We beat them for the first time last season in five years and this is an easy win? Duke whipped our *** after we lost two straight. So two straight losses certainly isn't motivation. This team doesn't get mad, they don't even get even.

Your "harsh" critique has us going 10-4? lulz.

Advertisement

We beat them for the first time last season in five years and this is an easy win? Duke whipped our *** after we lost two straight. So two straight losses certainly isn't motivation. This team doesn't get mad, they don't even get even.

Your "harsh" critique has us going 10-4? lulz.

Hey what can I say? I'm an optimist...I understand we can have both a terrible or good season but I just try to think positive...nothing wrong with that. I love my Canes!

Advertisement
Back