PFF Rankings: College starting quarterback rankings through Week 12

sitzee

Freshman
This a ridiculous list. It seems to be based more on the Deep Throw than the overall performance.

80. JARREN WILLIAMS, MIAMI FL.
Williams set ACC records in a blowout victory over Louisville but a lot of those throws and touchdowns could be attributed to blown coverages and wide-open receivers as Williams still lacks that big-play ability on a consistent basis. He's thrown 14 turnover-worthy passes compared to just seven big-time throws this year, the former ranking as the 24th-most among all quarterbacks despite just 196 attempts. Like most quarterbacks, he struggles mightily when pressured, seeing a massive dropoff to just a passer rating of 66.2 when the defense gets home. If Williams is the quarterback of the future, improving offensive line play will be key as he is the nation's 14th highest-graded quarterback from a clean pocket but he's been kept clean on just 62.3% of his dropbacks, the 22nd-lowest percentage of clean dropbacks

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-rankings-starting-quarterback-rankings-for-2019

*This list is largely based upon the starting quarterback's success, or lack thereof, in 2019 but is also affected by the situation around him with other quarterbacks on the roster who have received snaps or injuries sustained. No list is ever 100% accurate, but with our wealth of data at our fingertips, we get as close as anyone can.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yet Jake Fromm according to them has 2 INTs on only 3 turnover worthy throws. Jake Fromm is amazing even with his bad luck huh?

Look I know JW has gotten away with a bunch of close calls. But his 3 INTs he was injured...and there is NO WAY Fromm has only put the ball in grave danger 3 times this whole season.

And aren't most deep balls broken coverages? That's what you look for. Was the TD to JT4 against FSU a broken coverage...or just a well run route with a good decoy from the TE and a good throw?

All this crap is way too subjective.

Yet Jake Fromm according to them has 2 INTs on only 3 turnover worthy throws. Jake Fromm is amazing even with his bad luck huh?

Look I know JW has gotten away with a bunch of close calls. But his 3 INTs he was injured...and there is NO WAY Fromm has only put the ball in grave danger 3 times this whole season.

And aren't most deep balls broken coverages? That's what you look for. Was the TD to JT4 against FSU a broken coverage...or just a well run route with a good decoy from the TE and a good throw?

All this crap is way too subjective.
Exactly, list is bs they got mac Jones tua replacement as a top ten qb lol. Trevor Lawrence has thrown over 20 plus turnover worthy throws yet they didn’t mention that or his struggles. Jake fromm hasn’t played anywhere near like a top 10 qb this year and constantly check downs and doesn’t push the ball down the field

in regards to the comments about Jarren , sound like whoever wrote that just look at box scores and repeated common assumptions about Jarren earlier in the season because he has shown the ability to hit the big play in recent weeks for sure. The 7 big time throw listed by them is ridiculous because I can count at least 10 of those in the last 2 games and a series vs Pittsburgh from Jarren alone. That list is subjunctive as **** and I dotm Really care

Last edited:
Agree...the Harley TD deep post throw showed me what I needed to see from JW to know he can get us where we want to go....he threw Harley open...was a phenomenal throw and, IMO, a throw he couldn’t make earlier this season but is certainly making them now!
Let’s go Canes!

Advertisement
So according to pff Jarren shouldn't be looking for busted coverages. That's what you get when looking at advanced metrics. I'll go with what you can see with your eyes. Jarren has the goods, there's still a lot of room for improvement but, he looks like a very capable qb.

So basically what we already know about Jarren. Average QB that needs his OL to play near perfect to be effective.

Advertisement
If Williams is the quarterback of the future, improving offensive line play will be key as he is the nation's 14th highest-graded quarterback from a clean pocket...

Dumbest ******* thing I've ever heard.

Want to hear a real stat?

Jake Fromm has been forced to throw the ball more than 30 times five times in his career. Five times he's been asked to deliver his team to a win and be something other than a glorified game manager.

Georgia's record in those games?

0-5.

Whoever drafts this dude is going to end up with a gigantic bust.

Jake Fromm has been forced to throw the ball more than 30 times five times in his career. Five times he's been asked to deliver his team to a win and be something other than a glorified game manager.

0-5.

Fromm threw the ball 30 times vs the Crocs a couple of weeks ago and won.

Advertisement
Dumbest ******* thing I've ever heard.

0-5.

Whoever drafts this dude is going to end up with a gigantic bust.

No they won’t. And before you interpret that as meaning I think Fromm is a great QB keep reading.

1st I don’t think he’ll be drafted high enough to be considered as a bust.

I think he’ll be draft where you expect a game manager to be drafted. Which lowers the expectations.

Fromm is a game manager the team that drafts him knows exactly what they are getting and there still coaches in the NFL who want that.

In no particular order these teams HC’s would be totally fine with a game manager backup ATL, Vikes, Titans, chargers, Rams, Colts, Dal.

Any team that is built with traditional rush attack that wants to be a run 1st team would be a good fit. Obviously you don’t take this guy early.

As for Jarren on that list BURN IT!

This isn’t Canes Shade talk. Jarren Had one bad quarter. Otherwise he’s been just as good as every QB not in the hiesman race.

So basically what we already know about Jarren. Average QB that needs his OL to play near perfect to be effective.
I wouldn't call him average and he definitely has never had perfection from the OL. Just the opposite. He has performed in spite of some poor offensive line play.

All QBs need a clean pocket and time to throw. Without it their numbers drop. It's not a fair comparison when other teams have better offensive line play and a strong running game. None of the top QBs are getting sacked 5-10 times a game. It's not because they're avoiding sacks. It's because opposing defenses don't get pressure on the QB.

Let's compare apples to apples before passing judgment.

Advertisement
Literally there is no way any rational human being could say this . I mean in every category that matters he is the best , most talented QB we have had since Dorsey . HE LITERALLY HAS NOT THROWN AN INT when healthy and the season is almost over . He has insane touch and can throw the ball 80 yards . He has won freshman of the week in the ACC 3 ******* TIMES and he has played in what 7 games maybe ? And he is just scratching the surface .

Posts like this show how dumb of human beings posters on CIS can truly be .

Advertisement
Back