PFF OL Grades - Miami 100/130

HighSeas

Sophomore

100. Miami (Fl.) Hurricanes
Highest-graded player: OT DJ Scaife Jr. – 68.0 (135th)

The Hurricanes may have seen their highest-graded player on the offensive line finish at tackle, but how bad they were opposite Scaife is put into perspective when you realize they ranked just 110th overall as a unit on the outside and 110th in pass-blocking grade. They allowed the eighth-most pressures as a group (140) this season.

People frequently post counting stats on this board to quantify the OL as "the worst in the nation" or historically bad. I thought this was an interesting perspective to highlight that the OL graded poorly but perhaps not as bad as fans think. I assume PFF attributes some of Miami's protection issues to QBs taking bad sacks, RBs missing assignments and generally poor playcalling from Enos with his high volume of slow-developing pass plays failing by design.

Interestingly UF ranked 92nd and SMU ranked 80th by this grading system, which again highlights how scheme and playcalling can diminish or exacerbate the effect of a bad OL.

I think the combination of a new scheme, new OL coach, internal player improvement and a baseline of being undervalued will lead to a perception of dramatic improvement from the OL in 2020.

Advertisement

People frequently post counting stats on this board to quantify the OL as "the worst in the nation" or historically bad. I thought this was an interesting perspective to highlight that the OL graded poorly but perhaps not as bad as fans think. I assume PFF attributes some of Miami's protection issues to QBs taking bad sacks, RBs missing assignments and generally poor playcalling from Enos with his high volume of slow-developing pass plays failing by design.

Interestingly UF ranked 92nd and SMU ranked 80th by this grading system, which again highlights how scheme and playcalling can diminish or exacerbate the effect of a bad OL.

I think the combination of a new scheme, new OL coach, internal player improvement and a baseline of being undervalued will lead to a perception of dramatic improvement from the OL in 2020.

100th overall and 110th in pass blocking is putrid. But yes, Enos's scheme magnified the problem. It also highlights that Mario Cristobal would have been a much better choice than Diaz. Cristobal knows how the recruit and evaluate OL (the hardest positions to evaluate, maybe moreso than QB). Penei Sewell was a 4 star recruit and graded out as the best player in the country. Meanwhile Miami has 3 four star players on OL who are basically useless (Herbert, Hillary, Reed). I'm withholding judgment on Donaldson as he went from promising to awful. That would make 4 four stars who are total busts. Ducks, with the #1 OL, then have 2 three stars, and a low 4 star transfer. That's coaching and recruiting.

130 - GT
129 - FSU
111 - Duke
100 - Miami
94 - Pitt
92 - Florida
84 - VT
81 - UNC

So half the teams we played had just as bad an OL situation

But people act like OL struggles are unique to Miami and so much worse than everyone else.

Cristobal fans are gonna love Oregon being ranked #1.

The SMU and UF OL grades really says a lot about scheme and coaching like you said.

130 - GT
129 - FSU
111 - Duke
100 - Miami
94 - Pitt
92 - Florida
84 - VT
81 - UNC

So half the teams we played had just as bad an OL situation

But people act like OL struggles are unique to Miami and so much worse than everyone else.

You had the wrong take on that.

You should have realized that Manny's defense is actually trash.

Advertisement
100th overall and 110th in pass blocking is putrid. But yes, Enos's scheme magnified the problem. It also highlights that Mario Cristobal would have been a much better choice than Diaz. Cristobal knows how the recruit and evaluate OL (the hardest positions to evaluate, maybe moreso than QB). Penei Sewell was a 4 star recruit and graded out as the best player in the country. Meanwhile Miami has 3 four star players on OL who are basically useless (Herbert, Hillary, Reed). I'm withholding judgment on Donaldson as he went from promising to awful. That would make 4 four stars who are total busts. Ducks, with the #1 OL, then have 2 three stars, and a low 4 star transfer. That's coaching and recruiting.
Remember that we lost Bar Milo!!!

Remember that we lost Bar Milo!!!

That would make 5 four star busts. That's an entire OL! Its not just that the guys werent as productive as we thought. Aside from Donaldson, they are literally no better than scout team players. Is there is a team in the country that has missed on more OL evaluations than Miami?

Oh and then there is Tommy Kennedy.

They need to run the numbers again.

100 out of 130? No way we were that good!

Maybe they didn't carry a two or something.

Advertisement
The unit seemed to run block pretty good more often than not. Then Enos would go away from the run with backs averaging 5 and 6+ YPC.

Here’s hoping that the spread offense will mask a lot of the issues this coming season.

Advertisement
Back