Peyton Manning, Ed Reed

kendallcanes

Junior
Peyton Manning thought a Baltimore reporter called Ed Reed “one of” the NFL’s best safeties.

“I was going to correct you,” Manning said. “He is the best safety in the league, and has been really for this past decade.”

Peyton said that 2 years ago. The best safety in the league doesn't get washed up in two years. Why doesn't a team pick him up for a roster spot? I know he just turned 36, but this guy can still play and wants to play. This kind of reminds me of the Iverson situation. Once the doors are closed, nobody gonna open it up. Is he too polarizing for a locker room? What's the deal?

Advertisement
Peyton Manning thought a Baltimore reporter called Ed Reed “one of” the NFL’s best safeties.

“I was going to correct you,” Manning said. “He is the best safety in the league, and has been really for this past decade.”

Peyton said that 2 years ago. The best safety in the league doesn't get washed up in two years. Why doesn't a team pick him up for a roster spot? I know he just turned 36, but this guy can still play and wants to play. This kind of reminds me of the Iverson situation. Once the doors are closed, nobody gonna open it up. Is he too polarizing for a locker room? What's the deal?

Father time is a bish my man. Two years is ten years in the NFL. Ed just doesn't have the open field ability he used to have.

His body just doesn't move the way it used to and its evident when you watch him.

He put in enough work at all levels. Hes good. let him rest. Even if his mind doesnt want too his body needs it!

He's not good anymore. He was bad with Houston and NY, and his last year in Baltimore wasn't very good.

Reed was contemplating retring 50 million times and I know this as a Ravens fan. His body was giving out on him. He knows the game in and out but he couldn't make the plays no more.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He's not good anymore. He was bad with Houston and NY, and his last year in Baltimore wasn't very good.

Decline happened after he left the ravens. That last year with the Ravens especially in the playoffs, he was clutch as can be.

Even in his last season with the Texans and Jets, he was decent. Not what he once was, but he still had some.

Ed was just ridiculous though. You could put him and Ronnie Lott as the two best safeties to ever play the game.

Advertisement
comparing sean and reed, is like Jerome Brown and Tez, unfortunately only 1 of the 2 going to HOF for unfortunate reasons

I am more of the same view as Geo. I was an avid Raven's watcher and watched his whole career there. Over the years, I noticed that he didn't want to sacrifice his body as much after all his injuries. Playing in the NFL for an extended time has it's toll. It didn't make sense for him to lay his body on the line and crush someone just to prevent an additional two yards on a play. But it didn't mean that he couldn't and in the playoffs, he would. The Ed Reed in his last year at Baltimore was one of his best years. His instincts and anticipation were unreal. In his Super Bowl run, Ed Reed's secondary faced and beat Andrew Luck, Payton Manning, Tom Brady, and Colin Kaepernick.

Watching the Jets secondary this year and I just laugh because he's still better than all those guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Belichek made a run after him at some point, but I also wouldn't be surprised he already played his last game. If that's the case, we need to get him involved in our program more.

Last edited:
I grew up a Phins fan and therefore a huge Dan Marino fanatic. But, Ed Reed is my favorite football player of all time. He is everything I admire in a football player.

Advertisement
I grew up a Phins fan and therefore a huge Dan Marino fanatic. But, Ed Reed is my favorite football player of all time. He is everything I admire in a football player.

Agree, Reed played the game with integrity and class. He will go down as one of the GOAT's at the S position.

Sean is still the GOAT

As much as I love 26, 2-zero e. Reed Boi!!!! Is the greatest college or NFL safety of all time. Not even close. ST was not on the same level mentally as Reed.

The scary thing is the Sean was hitting that peak in his last season...

This...unfortunately his life was taken much too soon from his family, his fans, and his teammates. We can only love him for what we saw and knowledge of what we knew he could have been. Rest assured that he is in a better place and the hope that those that murdered him will pay for what they did.

Advertisement
Back