Peter: Jordan Wright vs Owen Carney as DE recruit?

Cortez55403

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
I keep hearing that we still want to sign one more DE in the 2017 class. Owen Carney and Jordan Wright get lots of mentions as possible "takes" for the Canes.

How do you rate and compare these two DEs in terms of production and potential? Which one, if either, do you see landing with UM?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Im a Jordan Wright fan! I like his athleticism at the position... Also another DE to watch for is Bryan Jones out of Louisiana, but as we all know go with the local kid first!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on what Pete has said it's probably whoever commits first is who they would take. Until then we'll keep looking.

Carney is a better player right now but Jordan Wright is a superior prospect has potential to be elite. give me wright over carney.

Carney is a better player right now but Jordan Wright is a superior prospect has potential to be elite. give me wright over carney.

I think Wright is the superior athlete but I like Carney better. I always want those Central players over anyone else. To pull Steed, Donaldson, and Carney this class would be great.

Also it'd be keeping Carney away from FSU. Wright isn't considering them. That's just icing on the cake

Advertisement
Give me wright. With his length, frame, and athleticism this kid could be a beast. And I don't think Carney is that much better then him right now.

Get both. Can never have enough DE's. AQM probably gone after this yr and then Chad will be a sr next yr.

I agree with AL Cane that Miami should take both 2017 D-Ends Carney and Wright. Wright can be redshirted along him to develop long term and Carney is just simply a football player that makes plays, he could also benefit from a redshirt year.

An if Coach Right needs to use a little roster management next summer to make room. By encouraging a player like let's say 4th string Junior LB Terry McCray to move on then so be it, thank him for being a Cane and help him find a new school.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Carney doesn't seem to have any legit interest in us and I think Wright has better upside. He's a very good basketball player which means he is a good/great athlete for someone his size. I'm a big fan and he would be my chose.

Advertisement
I agree with AL Cane that Miami should take both 2017 D-Ends Carney and Wright. Wright can be redshirted along him to develop long term and Carney is just simply a football player that makes plays, he could also benefit from a redshirt year. An if Coach Right needs to use a little roster management next summer to make room. By encouraging a player like let's say 4th string Junior LB Terry McCray to move on then so be it.

Go Canes
I disagree I think we're fine taking two with possibly one leaving our secondary and oline depth is far more concerning than dline imo

Take Both???

2017 Season
Thomas Sr
Jackson Soph
D Jackson Jr
Patchan Soph
Harris Sr
Bethel RFr
DJ Johnson Fr
J Wright Fr

That is 8 with more coming in 2018

Agree that DJ plus either Wright or Carney are enough DEs this year. Any extra slots should go to DBs, OL or WR.

Advertisement
Take Both???

2017 Season
Thomas Sr
Jackson Soph
D Jackson Jr
Patchan Soph
Harris Sr
Bethel RFr
DJ Johnson Fr
J Wright Fr

That is 8 with more coming in 2018

AQM won't have time after this year? Or this is your opinion that he will declare after the '16 season.

Jordan Wright all day, naturally gifted athlete who is still growing into his body.
Carney is the more polished rusher right now, but Jordan has more upside both physically & in ability, he will probably be 6'6 260 by his Junior year & has an explosive get off on the line.
The U is going to be STACKED at DE for the Richt era, just absolutely destroying QB's!
Turning one of our greatest weaknesses under the Folden regime, into our best strength.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jordan Wright all day, naturally gifted athlete who is still growing into his body.
Carney is the more polished rusher right now, but Jordan has more upside both physically & in ability, he will probably be 6'6 260 by his Junior year & has an explosive get off on the line.
The U is going to be STACKED at DE for the Richt era, just absolutely destroying QB's!
Turning one of our greatest weaknesses under the Folden regime, into our best strength.
This is what I'm thinking...then add the linebackers, like Shaq. Pinckney, McCloud, Steed... Our front 7 is going to be hazardous to the health of other teams.

Miami will not stop recruiting Jerry Jeudy. At all. .....

Jordan Wright and DeAndre a Wilder - if they committed right now, Miami would take them. Both of them are playing with fire though. Neither of them have much time left to decide before Miami moves on. Jon Ford, Wright's Dillard teammate, told me this week that Jordan would be committing to Miami soon. His (Jordan Wright) desire to play basketball at the next level as well could be problematic.....

This article below from a Pittsburgh newspaper this week is exactly what Peter Ariz is foreshadowing (in another thread) when he says these two are playing with fire, despite Wright having a legit future in Basketball.

Link to article from earlier this week about 2017 DE Jordan Wright
Jordan Wright Archives | Pittsburgh Sports Now

UPDATE (6:30 AM)-...............
** Over the weekend, 2017 forward Jordan Wright (Dillard HS in Florida) received an offer from Duquesne.

“Coach G (Rich Glesmann) told me after my game on Saturday that they were offering,” said Wright. “Some of my strengths are my aggressiveness, finding a way to get to the basket and getting my teammates open shots.”

Wright holds offers from Florida International, Virginia Tech, Chattanooga, Rider and tells me that he’s starting to hear from Central Florida, South Florida, Jacksonville and Arkansas.

As far as the Dukes, Wright says he’ll defiantly coinsider them.

“Yes, because Duquesne is in a great city, plays in the Atlantic 10 conference and have a good coaching staff,” said Wright

I think Wright is the superior athlete but I like Carney better. I always want those Central players over anyone else. To pull Steed, Donaldson, and Carney this class would be great.

Also it'd be keeping Carney away from FSU. Wright isn't considering them. That's just icing on the cake

Agree with this this. I like Carney better, and would keep him from the Northern school.

Advertisement
Back