Pete, what's your view on the DT strategy for this class...

Advertisement
I think Norton is as good as gone after next year. I expect him to have a great junior season.

I think the strategy is just fine. I don't understand why people are so worried. McIntosh and Norton won't both turn pro after this year , u wouldn't think and u still have moten, people forget tyriec martin last years class and with ford in this years class and possibility of dj Johnson ending up at dt as that is where he played in under armor game and Miami should be ok at dt if don't add another one.

one thing kool has always done is get kids ready quickly and develop 3 stars into studs, at Missouri he hardly ever had 4 stars but he turned 3 stars into studs who got drafted in 1st round. if coaches didn't feel needed to go after more then 1 dt this year maybe they know are gonna move a guy like bethel or patchan to dt, or something we don't,

The worry is you can theoretically have our entire 3 deep at DT leave after next year. Mcintosh and Norton are good enough to leave early next year. Martin has a long way to go at this point. I think it's critical to land one more DT in additiont to Ford.

I think the strategy is just fine. I don't understand why people are so worried. McIntosh and Norton won't both turn pro after this year , u wouldn't think and u still have moten, people forget tyriec martin last years class and with ford in this years class and possibility of dj Johnson ending up at dt as that is where he played in under armor game and Miami should be ok at dt if don't add another one.

one thing kool has always done is get kids ready quickly and develop 3 stars into studs, at Missouri he hardly ever had 4 stars but he turned 3 stars into studs who got drafted in 1st round. if coaches didn't feel needed to go after more then 1 dt this year maybe they know are gonna move a guy like bethel or patchan to dt, or something we don't,

The worry is you can theoretically have our entire 3 deep at DT leave after next year. Mcintosh and Norton are good enough to leave early next year. Martin has a long way to go at this point. I think it's critical to land one more DT in additiont to Ford.

Bethel will start that transitioning into a 3 technique imo, and Jon ford is another quality stud dlineman for coach kool to work with.

This.

Advertisement

Johnson wont be a dt.

Thank you...drives me crazy with the people on here assuming that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the new cis trend. Fatten people up and move them to another position. Al would be so proud

i dont see Bethel moving inside..Hes still light in the *** from the pic i saw from the RAB.

I think they need at least a DT TRANSFER to go with Ford.

Or maybe get DJ JOHNSON's bro to transfer over..i think he is leaving his college.

DJ JOHNSON isnt going inside either...i dont see the frame for it on him...

i dont see Bethel moving inside..Hes still light in the *** from the pic i saw from the RAB.

Or maybe get DJ JOHNSON's bro to transfer over..i think he is leaving his college.

what's his name and where is he at now?

You were looking at his *** in a picture? That's cool, bro.

Advertisement
DJ Johnson is NOT an interior linemen type! He got worked ( in a bad way) at the under armour practices when he lined up inside, now him on the edge is a different story he is a beast.

As for adding another DT to the 2017 class, Miami needs a 1 or 0 tech type that is extremely athletic to replace Norton and Jenkins next year. An current UM dlinemen tyric Martin is not the answer he is 3 tech as incoming DT jon Ford.

This is why landing either Elijah Conliffe, Phadarian Mathis, or James Hudson was critical for 2017 an unfortunately we haven't been able to close the deal with any of them and time is almost up.

There are 1 or 2 other developmental types still out there but it is rough to try an come in this late, so we will see what happens.

Go Canes

Nobody is saying DJ Johnson is going to be a DT year 1 but if you look at the kid it's pretty clear he's still all baby fat. When he hits a college weight program he could easily grow into a DT by year 2 or 3. We're not talking about a 320lb DT. We're talking a coach kool DT 280lb and super athletic. IDK why it's so hard for yall to see that.

Nobody is saying DJ Johnson is going to be a DT year 1 but if you look at the kid it's pretty clear he's still all baby fat. When he hits a college weight program he could easily grow into a DT by year 2 or 3. We're not talking about a 320lb DT. We're talking a coach kool DT 280lb and super athletic. IDK why it's so hard for yall to see that.

It is not just about adding weight, DJ best spot is on the outside. But again UM has a lot of other 3techs on roster or in the recruiting pipeline. What we need is a 300lbs'r that can run and they are hard to find even more so than a natural nose tackle.

When you have an hour to kill go watch the 2016 OD All American game on ESPN 3 and watch the red team's defensive line ( they had Elijah Conliffe, Jon Ford, and James Hudson).

Go Canes

Last edited:

It is not just about adding weight, DJ best spot is on the outside. But again UM has a lot of other 3techs on roster or in the recruiting pipeline. What we need is a 300lbs'r that can run and they are hard to find even more so than a natural nose tackle.

When you have an hour to kill go watch the 2016 OD All American game on ESPN 3 and watch the red team's defensive line ( they had Elijah Conliffe, Jon Ford, and James Hudson).

Go Canes

What ever happened to the Conliffe kid? Thought I had read we were trending for the kid a while back and now it seems like he's completely dropped off the radar. I must have missed something.

Advertisement
Our best DT, Richard McIntosh, was 6'4" 240 in HS.

We are going to go with athletic 280-300 pound DT's.

Jon Ford and Tyreic Martin fit the bill.

Guys like DJ Johnson and Randy Bethel will be used as 3rd down pass rushing tackles.

Johnson wont be a dt.
And you know this how?

Definitely will be a DT on 3rd and obvious passing downs

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back