Pete - re early signing period

Devcane

Recruit
When talking with recruits, does this come up in conversation? Do you have a sense on how many of these guys would sign early?

Advertisement
When talking with recruits, does this come up in conversation? Do you have a sense on how many of these guys would sign early?

EVERYONE!!!

Seriously, most of our guys are early enrollees so they will sign before they enroll anyway.

I'm guessing everyone who is committed before December will sign in December (pretty much how basketball works)

This may just basically move the so-called "national signing day" up to December 20. Why wouldn't it? Am I overlooking something?

Advertisement
This may just basically move the so-called "national signing day" up to December 20. Why wouldn't it? Am I overlooking something?

Some kids committed to smaller schools may way to wait & see how some dominoes play out.
Or bigger schools telling them to wait as they'll likely have a spot for them.

I'd look at it as 1/2 - 3/4 class sign & kinda reset the board accordingly.

Some kids committed to smaller schools may way to wait & see how some dominoes play out.
Or bigger schools telling them to wait as they'll likely have a spot for them.

I'd look at it as 1/2 - 3/4 class sign & kinda reset the board accordingly.

Why don't they do all that now?

Just to confirm- the early signing period is effective December 2017 for the 2018 signing class?

If you're a 4/5* kid and you like to be chased, why wouldn't you wait? Our class is filling up, but everybody else will have room and there will be even fewer kids for the media to focus on. Drama queens gonna drama queen.

Advertisement

If you're a 4/5* kid and you like to be chased, why wouldn't you wait? Our class is filling up, but everybody else will have room and there will be even fewer kids for the media to focus on. Drama queens gonna drama queen.

Why don't they wait now? I would think that all the same classes that used to fill up in early February will now fill up by December 20. The same "drama queens" as you call them will feel compelled to play out their dramas a month and a half earlier because after that most of the classes will be filled up.

Last edited:

Why don't they wait now?

They do.

They wait to commit until signing day in February so that they get more attention, and I'm saying they'll do the same thing now. Difference is that with all those other kids having signed in December there will be more media focus on the drama queens who remain "undecided" until Feb.

We will find out on December 20. I suspect that the same number of kids who used to sign up in February will now sign up on December 20. Of course, they don't have to sign up - they can wait, but they didn't have to sign up on national signing day when it was in February - they could have waited. But I don't see why the exact same amount of pressure will be on both the schools and the kids to get things finalized by December 20 as had previously been on them to get things finalized by early February.

Remember that national signing day is in no way a deadline, and that a few kids always sign after that date. IIRC, both Edgerrin James and DJ Williams signed with the Canes after national signing day, but there is tremendous pressure on anyone of stature less than theirs to sign on the earliest date that signing is allowed. There is no point debating this because we will all know the answer very soon.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Plan A kids who want to commit will be able to do it in December.
Plan B kids who want to commit will be asked to wait until February.

It's good for both kids and universities, bc the serious kids with commitable offers will be able to do it in December. The universities will be able to complete a large portion of their recruits earlier and focus on other recruits. Coaches won't be able to oversign kids as much and then work out the numbers.

Kids who say they are solid to a school and receive a LOI from the school in December, but choose not to sign may be a red flag for coaches and they could focus their efforts elsewhere.

Goes both ways though. If coaches are telling kids they have really want them, but fail to receive a LOI in December, they might look at other school choices.

You'll see less kids leaving colleges "at the alter".

I think overall it will benefit both the kids and the universities.

We will find out on December 20. I suspect that the same number of kids who used to sign up in February will now sign up on December 20. Of course, they don't have to sign up - they can wait, but they didn't have to sign up on national signing day when it was in February - they could have waited. But I don't see why the exact same amount of pressure will be on both the schools and the kids to get things finalized by December 20 as had previously been on them to get things finalized by early February.

Remember that national signing day is in no way a deadline, and that a few kids always sign after that date. IIRC, both Edgerrin James and DJ Williams signed with the Canes after national signing day, but there is tremendous pressure on anyone of stature less than theirs to sign on the earliest date that signing is allowed. There is no point debating this because we will all know the answer very soon.

and Corn Elder. still dv tho

It's good for both kids and universities, bc the serious kids with commitable offers will be able to do it in December. The universities will be able to complete a large portion of their recruits earlier and focus on other recruits. Coaches won't be able to oversign kids as much and then work out the numbers.

Kids who say they are solid to a school and receive a LOI from the school in December, but choose not to sign may be a red flag for coaches and they could focus their efforts elsewhere.

Goes both ways though. If coaches are telling kids they have really want them, but fail to receive a LOI in December, they might look at other school choices.

You'll see less kids leaving colleges "at the alter".

I think overall it will benefit both the kids and the universities.

my bad, meant to up vote ***n phat fingers. i agree with your post 100% tho.

Advertisement

All this new plan does is change the earliest day on which the kids can sign. If a school wanted to tell a plan B kid to wait until later to sign, I think they could have done that just as easily when the earliest date to sign was in February as when it is December 20. Why would changing the earliest possible date to sign from February to December 20 make it any harder or easier to ask a plan B kid to hold off and wait?

Cancel everything I have said on this thread. I was operating under a misconception. Sorry.

The more I think about early signing period the more it sucks for players. They are gonna be told to pretty much sign by December or risk getting dropped before February. Hopefully it'll elminate a lot of the games being played by recruits though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The more I think about early signing period the more it sucks for players. They are gonna be told to pretty much sign by December or risk getting dropped before February. Hopefully it'll elminate a lot of the games being played by recruits though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think it will make things much clearer in Jan and Feb and let the staff focus on the finish and not worry so much. I would imagine the ones that are dead set would sign in Dec to get the recruiting out of the way and focus on grades, SATs, and ACTs. If anyone is wishy washy they will wait until Feb. I like it a lot.

Advertisement
Back