Pete, Jr day ?

PUNCICANE

All-ACC
Premium
Yo Pete,

I understand that the announcement of commits sometimes is a strategic move to appease the fan base or create momentum at opportune times. That being said, given the overwhelming positive feedback from the Jr.Day, do you think we received more commits on Jr day than we were told? And if so, do you feel they will bust out additional "Welcome to the U"'s after signing day?

Advertisement
If they committed, it was announced. Spence was the only commit.

With that being said, I do expect a number of early commits.

Pete, just curious---in your valued opinion, do you think its better for UM to offer early or slow play? It seems with the explosion of recruiting coverage the days of slow playing a recruit are gone...but there are some who think offering to early can cause a relationship to go stale. I als wonder if the standard of offering early vs late apply differently to diferent schools when recruiting the 305 (ie, we catch wreck while others dont)

I used to like the idea of slow playing but now i feel like the earlier the better.

Pete, just curious---in your valued opinion, do you think its better for UM to offer early or slow play? It seems with the explosion of recruiting coverage the days of slow playing a recruit are gone...but there are some who think offering to early can cause a relationship to go stale. I als wonder if the standard of offering early vs late apply differently to diferent schools when recruiting the 305 (ie, we catch wreck while others dont)

I used to like the idea of slow playing but now i feel like the earlier the better.

Slow playing is the dumbest possible thing to do in today's era of recruiting. If you don't offer early, you are behind the 8-ball.

Advertisement
Our fan base is gonna need a few to commit right after signing day so they don't jump off a bridge after the way we are about to close this cycle.

IMO if we don't land at least JC Jackson and a surprise like Bo(very unlikely) or Gailard(also very unlikely) or by some miracle bring back Valentine(which ain't happening) or land Ross(who IMO should be at least a 4 star) then our fans are all gonna say we failed on NSD even though our class is great.

I would be happier than a pig in **** if we just got Valentine back and added either JC Jackson or Tavon Ross and kept everybody we already have.

If we signed Bo and JC Jackson it might make up for loosing TV, but not really.

Slow playing is the dumbest possible thing to do in today's era of recruiting. If you don't offer early, you are behind the 8-ball.

thanks---was hoping you would say something along those lines

I agree, but its kinda funny how we were the first to offer both Travonte Valentine(as a Freshman I believe) and Sony Michel(as an 8th grader), and we get burned by both. SMH

I have been a Golden supporter since he arrived, but he has lost a lot of ground with a lot of fans just like me after he refused to make any changes to the defense or the defensive staff after this season, let alone his flirtation with PSU.

If we don't see him closing on some top recruits this NSD it will only get worse.

He better get that defense in shape by next year b/c there will be no more excuses.

Advertisement

I agree, but its kinda funny how we were the first to offer both Travonte Valentine(as a Freshman I believe) and Sony Michel(as an 8th grader), and we get burned by both. SMH

I have been a Golden supporter since he arrived, but he has lost a lot of ground with a lot of fans just like me after he refused to make any changes to the defense or the defensive staff after this season, let alone his flirtation with PSU.

If we don't see him closing on some top recruits this NSD it will only get worse.

He better get that defense in shape by next year b/c there will be no more excuses.

By no means does offering early guarantee anything, but waiting to offer does no good. Getting the offers out early keeps you in the game.

When are folks going to accept that junior commits aren't worth a ****. Nothing but early hype and recruiting analysts/sites working to create clicks and a following. A fair analogy to the process is like a teenagers going steady and nothing else - kids will feign love for multiple schools and do more flips than Greg Louganis over the next year. Silly to analyze their every word, searching for hidden meaning, while giving these kids way more attention and love than they need.

Getting the offers out early keeps you in the game.

Works both ways. It can also come back to bite you if the kid grabs the early offer and stinks up the joint his senior year... Also, senior year evaluations can unearth some previously unknown prospects that can end up panning out better than the early hype kids. The way I look at it is you offer the elite, can't-miss kids early, which Miami has done, and then "recruit" kids that you want to keep an eye on for further evaluations (meaning, you see them at camp, senior year film, etc).

Advertisement

Don't want to pester you, but you have a good feeling on SBB and Calvin Ridley to UM? Thought I remember seeing they were at JR Day, but may be wrong.

Jaquan Johnson is an intriguing prospect. Everyone says he's a born leader. Thats exactly what you need in your secondary. Ed Reedish

Advertisement
Back