Pete Garcia's former role vs Zo's potential role?

pimpcane1

Junior
I remember Pete Garcia having the role as director of ops during the Butch Davis years, would this be the same role Alonzo would potential play if he is hired as this "Football czar" or would it be different?

If it's the same, why do people have a problem with this type of setup? Also when did UM move away from this type of role in the program and why?

Advertisement
I remember Pete Garcia having the role as director of ops during the Butch Davis years, would this be the same role Alonzo would potential play if he is hired as this "Football czar" or would it be different?

If it's the same, why do people have a problem with this type of setup? Also when did UM move away from this type of role in the program and why?
North the same. Pete was director of football operations. Zo would be steps above that. He would be just under the AD.

Yep. I think Alonzo would be great in a similar position. Pete was heavily involved in the overall administration of the program.

Too many people in here get caught up in titles and this and that. It’s nonsense. Get smart people in charge and let them go to work. Paul Dee wasn’t involved in Pete and Butch day to day of the football program. Alonzo and Mario will be no different.

To my knowledge Pete did work directly under the AD. He was the defacto "football AD". His experience in this role helped him land the FIU AD position as soon as Davis left for the Browns.

As to my other question, when did UM get rid of this football operations person and why? I don't recall one after Pete left.

To my knowledge Pete did work directly under the AD. He was the defacto "football AD". His experience in this role helped him land the FIU AD position as soon as Davis left for the Browns.

As to my other question, when did UM get rid of this football operations person and why? I don't recall one after Pete left.
Don Corzine was “Director of Football Operations” up until last year I think. However, his role and Pete Garcia’s role seemed very very different.

Advertisement
Yep. I think Alonzo would be great in a similar position. Pete was heavily involved in the overall administration of the program.

Too many people in here get caught up in titles and this and that. It’s nonsense. Get smart people in charge and let them go to work. Paul Dee wasn’t involved in Pete and Butch day to day of the football program. Alonzo and Mario will be no different.
Pick an industry and/or organization across the globe.

You know what goes hand in hand with a jumbled and vague mess of member titles?

Lack of unity of effort and lack of purpose of effort.

🤡🤡🤡 run organizations this way👆👆

Don't listen to the clowns who will prattle on about job titles and org charts and direct reports.

Anyone who knows how Butch and Pete scouted and tracked players will tell you that Alonzo would bring a modern version of Pete's methodology.

So, yes.

And Miami "moved away from this type of role in the program" when Butch/Pete left and Coker allowed his assistant coaches to transition to the "Rivals/Scout" model of researching recruits.

EDIT: Holy crap, I responded to the first post before I read any of the responses (as per usual, I read/respond in chronological order), so I guess I'm Nostra-*******-damus...

Don't listen to the clowns who will prattle on about job titles and org charts and direct reports.

Anyone who knows how Butch and Pete scouted and tracked players will tell you that Alonzo would bring a modern version of Pete's methodology.

So, yes.

And Miami "moved away from this type of role in the program" when Butch/Pete left and Coker allowed his assistant coaches to transition to the "Rivals/Scout" model of researching recruits.

EDIT: Holy crap, I responded to the first post before I read any of the responses (as per usual, I read/respond in chronological order), so I guess I'm Nostra-*******-damus...
Butch's assistants in those days deserve alot of credit as well, in ref to recruiting & evaluations...Sarge..C Johnson...Pagano...Soldinger etc...were savage recruiters as well...

Butch's assistants in those days deserve alot of credit as well, in ref to recruiting & evaluations...Sarge..C Johnson...Pagano...Soldinger etc...were savage recruiters as well...

Absolutely true. I was referring to the note cards, where Butch and Pete kept track of all the data, including interviews with teachers, guidance counselors, Pop Warner coaches, school janitors, etc., to sort out who had the intangible qualities needed.

Advertisement
North the same. Pete was director of football operations. Zo would be steps above that. He would be just under the AD.
Really won't know until there is an AD in place. Will be a unique hybrid position for sure to a degree. BUT .. in most athletic departments there ARE Assistant AD's who have primary responsibility for specific programs. One might focus on basketball and mens golf, another on football, another on baseball and a few other programs .. all report to the AD who has final say / authority. Given Zo's skill set .. I could see his function being to develop an elite recruiting and player development staff, and also work on creative NIL programs .. as NIL programs are in their infancy and will grow in importance and complexity. Hope we have answers soon!!

The roles would not at all be similiar, Pete was basically in charge of recruiting/ scouting player and reported to Butch. This role would report to the AD and oversee all of the football operations.

Another correction, Pete did not get the AD job at FIU when Butch went to the Browns. He went to the Browns with Butch and later came back.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back