Dallas

Move on to 2018

Ivey
Blades
Friersen
Hall
Another CB yet to be named

Campbell and Jobe go elsewhere.

We will have to rebuild Miami through coaching and kids like Bandy Blades Dallas and win.

Corners: dean and young (bandy nickel)
Safety: redwine and Jaquan

I know Homer will be a stud at running back but if we had the luxury I would really like to see what he can do at free safety

CB1- Malek Young
CB2- Jhavonte Dean
CB3- Trajan Bandy
CB4- Redwine/Jackson

FS- Johnson/Redwine/James/Wright

SS- Carter/Finely/Gibson/Smith

Possible adds: Edwards (if we get him back), maybe Rico McGraw from UGA (although I think he has to shirt if he transfers)...
Also, possibly a Grad transfer that can come between now & the Fall.

I think you can play Redwine at FS & put Quan at SS, but I prefer Quan to be the FS.

To me, with Amari Carter being an EE, I think both he & Finley will be competing for that SS spot... I'm real high on Amari though, I know a lot you guys aren't.

Overall, I'm not that worried about the Secondary, I think we'll have some legit depth & even though a lot of our guys will be very inexperienced, I think the scheme & our staff puts them in the best position to maximize their talent.

Plus, with the front 7 we'll have next year, the Secondary benefits greatly from the DL & LB's, both those units will be even better than they are right now, so the Secondary will improve as well.

I trust in Diaz, Kool, Rumph & Banda to have all our guys Coached up & ready no matter what.

Last edited:
I think it will be more about matchups, mixed in with base starters and nickel starters.
-This is assuming we go into 2017 with a DB class of Dean, Deejay Dallas, Trajan Bandy, Billy Gibson, Amari Carter, and Derrick Smith.

Matchups:
-Young, Bandy, and Dean will likely compete to see who covers the Fastest WR on a team, pretty sure they will be our quickest CB's

-Jackson and Redwine will likely compete to see who covers the biggest opposing WR (Height, or body thickness, so that way we dont have a smaller DB being dominated physically). Redwine and Dean are the same height, but I think Redwine is alot more physical based off the only Hudl video available on Dean.

-Assuming we are going to leave a CB on an island in some situations, I'm sure that we will have 3 DB's battling for that Island spot between Dean, Young, and possibly Jaquan Johnson(I saw them use Jenkins in this role 2-3 times against WV).

-Single High/FS will probably not be a competition. We will probably have JJ uphigh, with a few of the other Safeties competing to back him up.

In terms of a base 4-3 formation, for zone blitz's or things of the sort..OR means they will compete. Comma(,) indicates 2nd or 3rd string.

LCB - Young, Jackson, Henley
RCB - Redwine OR Dean, Bandy OR DJ Dallas
FS - JJ will start, Romeo Finley OR Amari Carter OR Jeff James OR Cedrick Wright all be competing for rotational time.
Rover - Billy Gibson OR Romeo Finley OR Derrick Smith

In a Nickel Formation to start season

LCB - Jackson OR Dean OR Young, Mayes
RCB - Redwine, DJ Dallas, Henley
Nickel - Bandy OR Young OR Cedrick Wright
FS - JJ, Romeo Finley OR Carter, Robert Knowles
SS - Jeff James OR Derrick Smith OR Billy Gibson

Advertisement
I've been thinking about this. If we land Dean does Redwine become Transfer bait? I don't see room for him with the impending 2018 class.

Not getting Tyson Campbell would suck. IMO him and Blades should be priorities over any of the other DBs.

I think Young will be the CB that we expect to be versatile as ****, and Bandy will be the one to relieve him by game 4 or 5.
Redwine will probably play alot of snaps, but won't be asked to be superman

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this. If we land Dean does Redwine become Transfer bait? I don't see room for him with the impending 2018 class.

Still a chance Redwine has a big year in 17'. Even if he doesn't, 2018 wont hurt to have him...He is a quality depth player. As a senior he would help out alot if 2018 is stacked with freshman.

Advertisement

Still a chance Redwine has a big year in 17'. Even if he doesn't, 2018 wont hurt to have him...He is a quality depth player. As a senior he would help out alot if 2018 is stacked with freshman.

Freshman that will be sold playing time. I see what you're saying but I don't see a place for him unless Dean doesn't pick up the defense (if we land). Redwine got unseated by a Richt recruit. We see this every time coaching changes happen.

Redwine's going to be a Junior next year and will be in the 2-deep at corner. At worst we can place him at safety. Technique he's pretty sound and a solid tackler. He just lacks the speed that Young has as well as Bandy and Dallas have coming in. He's not going to transfer, especially considering we don't have much depth at the corner position right now.

Freshman that will be sold playing time. I see what you're saying but I don't see a place for him unless Dean doesn't pick up the defense (if we land). Redwine got unseated by a Richt recruit. We see this every time coaching changes happen.

Just because he got unseated by Young who has a higher ceiling than Redwine, doesn't mean he won't get burn. This is why you have an 85-man roster in cfb. Players get hurt and tired meaning others get game time.

CB1- Malek Young
CB2- Jhavonte Dean
CB3- Trajan Bandy
CB4- Redwine/Jackson

FS- Johnson/Redwine/James/Wright

SS- Carter/Finely/Gibson/Smith

Possible adds: Edwards (if we get him back), maybe Rico McGraw from UGA (although I think he has to shirt if he transfers)...
Also, possibly a Grad transfer that can come between now & the Fall.

I think you can play Redwine at FS & put Quan at SS, but I prefer Quan to be the FS.

To me, with Amari Carter being an EE, I think both he & Finley will be competing for that SS spot... I'm real high on Amari though, I know a lot you guys aren't.

Overall, I'm not that worried about the Secondary, I think we'll have some legit depth & even though a lot of our guys will be very inexperienced, I think the scheme & our staff puts them in the best position to maximize their talent.

Plus, with the front 7 we'll have next year, the Secondary benefits greatly from the DL & LB's, both those units will be even better than they are right now, so the Secondary will improve as well.

I trust in Diaz, Kool, Rumph & Banda to have all our guys Coached up & ready no matter what.

Put redwine at fs and jaquan at ss.

Advertisement

I see what you mean, but like the post above me...because of the fact that he is a JR going into next year, his knowledge will have him playing 2-deep at worse...and in terms of 2018, Redwine will still be valuable over others (Henley for example)...and if Henley leaves, along with someone like Robert Knowles...we can easily still bring in 7 DBs in the 2018 class, and not worry about it because we lose 5 DB's to graduation to open up spots for 2019 (unless someone gets a medical redshirt).

Redwine's going to be a Junior next year and will be in the 2-deep at corner. At worst we can place him at safety. Technique he's pretty sound and a solid tackler. He just lacks the speed that Young has as well as Bandy and Dallas have coming in. He's not going to transfer, especially considering we don't have much depth at the corner position right now.

I see him at Safety

At the worse, Redwine ends up like Maurice Smith(Bama/UGA). Where he becomes an important role player somewhere in the backfield, but probably transfers after graduating....However, he is ALOT like Mike Rumph so far with how physical he is, but lacks speed...which is why alot of people want him at Safety

Advertisement
I like the Liberty City scenario.

That said, I think I'm the only skeptic about J Johnson as a starting safety. My thoughts:

* he's an excellent instinctive football player. In 2016, he was a good complement to the bigger, faster 6 and 26, particularly in run support. Great tackler and special teams player.
* however, at 5'10" he has neither the size nor the speed to cover top receivers deep or in red zone situations. He's overmatched vs tall, speedy WRs and TEs.
* for 2017, I'm looking for two safeties to emerge from Smith, Wright, Carter, Gibson, Knowles, Finley and James. That would allow JJ to continue his key role as the third safety.

Thoughts?

I think Jaquan, Young, Finley, and Dean will be starters, and Bandy starting in the nickel.
But I expect the best 4/5 guys to be on the field regardless position. If that means sliding Jaquan down to nickel and bringing in another safety than thats what will happen. It really just depends is our 3rd safety better than our 3rd corner. Hopefully we get another grad transfer like Colbert.
Also the best tacklers will likely be the ones that see the field the most.

Advertisement
Back