Perspective

407cane

All-ACC
2020 was an improvement over 2019 definitely, much to do with Lashlee and King.

Definitely disappointment all along the defensive side of the ball and Baker clearly needs to go, that remains to be seen on whether Manny will part ways or at least take play calling from baker during games

but... some teams seasons were masked/saved by Covid, i can't help but think what ours would have been for us without it.

we would not have played clemson at all as they were thrown on the schedule and most likely would have been top 3-4 in the country and undefeated heading into season matchup with UNC. it's clear we weren't up for the game at that point, I can't imagine that being an issue under those different circumstances. It's a what-if game for sure and if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best but still not an easy draw to have Clemson randomly put on your schedule. Took away our shot at an undefeated regular season as clearly we aren't talented or coached well enough to run the table.

In this scenario we don't play oklahoma state but still crazy to think despite the first half defense debacle that we were a few dropped passes away from winning the game.

1 team was never on our schedule, the other we lost because we can't catch, 3rd loss was the straw that hopefully boke baker's back. all three issues can be resolved for next year if manny plays his cards right.

this isn't a sunshine post about 2020. our DC needs to go, king needs to be healthy by fall camp, and we need players who can catch BUT man am I excited for next year if we can address those issues there's no reason to believe that we shouldn't expect a better year again.

Advertisement
and yes I am fully aware that we open with Bama, but that doesn't necessarily spell doom for gloom for the whole season

2020 was an improvement over 2019 definitely, much to do with Lashlee and King.

Definitely disappointment all along the defensive side of the ball and Baker clearly needs to go, that remains to be seen on whether Manny will part ways or at least take play calling from baker during games

but... some teams seasons were masked/saved by Covid, i can't help but think what ours would have been for us without it.

we would not have played clemson at all as they were thrown on the schedule and most likely would have been top 3-4 in the country and undefeated heading into season matchup with UNC. it's clear we weren't up for the game at that point, I can't imagine that being an issue under those different circumstances. It's a what-if game for sure and if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best but still not an easy draw to have Clemson randomly put on your schedule. Took away our shot at an undefeated regular season as clearly we aren't talented or coached well enough to run the table.

In this scenario we don't play oklahoma state but still crazy to think despite the first half defense debacle that we were a few dropped passes away from winning the game.

1 team was never on our schedule, the other we lost because we can't catch, 3rd loss was the straw that hopefully boke baker's back. all three issues can be resolved for next year if manny plays his cards right.

this isn't a sunshine post about 2020. our DC needs to go, king needs to be healthy by fall camp, and we need players who can catch BUT man am I excited for next year if we can address those issues there's no reason to believe that we shouldn't expect a better year again.
We could also say what if Pitt and nc state did not have to play their back up qb
What if norvel coached vs us
What if Herbert was not hurt
Without covid duke would have played harder

The what if game has to go both ways

I'm seriously amazed at all of you who seeming know football that didn't think the D was going to take a big step back this year.

Yes, Baker sucks, and coming out flat-footed routinely is not acceptable. But it was easy to see the writing on the wall that this D was going to have trouble.

Advertisement
When we lost Willis I thought that was going to be bad. When we lost GR to opt out that was not good either. Losing 2 4 year starting LB’s was not going to help either. Was hopeful on Phillips but did not really know. Have bigger expectations for next year but the Corners are going to be suspect for a couple of years. Hope we can get to the QB quicker.

I knew the secondary would be an issue from game 0. I knew we were losing experience at LB, but I was hopeful some of the younger more athletic guys would be ready. That did not happen.

I'm seriously amazed at all of you who seeming know football that didn't think the D was going to take a big step back this year.

Yes, Baker sucks, and coming out flat-footed routinely is not acceptable. But it was easy to see the writing on the wall that this D was going to have trouble.
You are really a depressing guy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back