Perry reflects on being named starter, speaks on FSU

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry was officially named the starting QB by Mark Richt yesterday for the foreseeable future and talked about what that meant to him after Tuesday’s practice.

“I’m very thankful and very excited for the opportunity,” Perry said. “It’s something I’ve been looking forward to growing up my whole life.”

Richt’s message after naming him the starter vs. UNC last week?

“(He said) just go out there and have fun, do what I did in high school,” Perry said.

Asked about the change in mentality from backup to starter, Perry pointed to having to be a leader all the time instead of just some of the time.

“I have to be an example on and off the field, even when nobody’s watching, I have to do what’s right at all times,” Perry said.

Even recently around the ACC, we’ve seen QB’s get benched and quit the team. However, former starter Malik Rosier is still taking an active role on this team and trying to help UM run the table.

“Everything is still good,” Perry said on Rosier. “He’s still the leader he was before, is helping out everybody.”

Perry's take on his performance so far this season: “Looking at it statistically, it looked good on paper. But there’s a lot I can improve on. Watching film, I see my mistakes and I plan on getting better and better every week.”

After winning his first career start against UNC last week, the level of difficulty will be taken up a notch for Perry on Saturday when the Canes take on the rival Florida State Seminoles. Of the series between the two in his lifetime, there’s one memory that sticks out to Perry.

“I definitely remember Sean Taylor’s big hits, that’s my favorite memory,” Perry said.

The Noles will come into Hardrock scuffling a bit at 3-2, but Perry knows that he’ll likely see the best Willie Taggart’s outfit has to offer.

“I expect them to play harder than they play against anybody else,” Perry said. “They have great players on their team. No matter what their record is, I know they’re going to play hard. I know it’s a rivalry, but to me, it’s another opponent. Regardless of who we play, we’re trying to get a win.”

Even though FSU’s offense has had trouble moving the ball at times, FSU’s defensive line has played well and averaged 2.80 sacks per game, good for 29th in the country.

“They have a pretty good D, but I feel we have a better offensive line,” Perry said. “I trust my offensive line, and that’s all it comes down to.”

In last year’s game, it took a game-winning catch by Darrell Langham in the final seconds to put the Noles away for good.

“I feel like it won’t come down to that moment this year,” Perry said.

On the FSU turnover backpack: “I don’t have any comment on the bag,” Perry said.

Advertisement
the only guy who concerns me is brian burns, hopefully we have a new wrinkle to deal with him

On the FSU turnover backpack: “I don’t have any comment on the bag,” Perry said.

Love Perry..! Sounds ready. clearly aware of being a leader and no mistakes on/off the field!

Well the stage is set, Good luck to the young man !!! Now where are all of you who were crying about how Richt was gonna ride with just Malik all year. There are some L's to claim !!!

Advertisement

LOL

"What do you think about the turnover bag?"

"It's a very nice purse, I was thinking about getting one for my Mom this Christmas"

image.jpeg

the only guy who concerns me is brian burns, hopefully we have a new wrinkle to deal with him
We should run it right at him and force him to make tackles on the RB (not this strong suit). He's thinking sack and sack only. I'm also willing to bet Scaife could handle him.

Last edited:
We should run it right at him and force him to make tackles on the RB (not this strong suit). He's think sack and sack only. I'm also willing to bet Scaife could handle him.

Burns will be a non factor. His freshman year he benefited with a better d-line around him. Just my opinion.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back