Per the Herald, Manny's Response to Kids Looking to Leave SoFlo

You're not wrong, but intensity and athleticism will beat scheme the vast majority of the time. The only one of our HC's with a ring that was an absolutely elite coach was Jimmy. Schnelly was a program builder but not necessarily a spectacular coach.

Schnelly was as good a big-game coach that ever existed in college football.
He had no business beating a very talented Penn State team in 1981, yet he did in spectacular
fashion.
He also came very close to winning at Texas, a very stacked team, but was screwed by the officiating.
And, of course, that 1984 Nebraska game was spectacular.
He also won some impressive games at Louisville.
Very impressive coach and a pioneer on the offensive side of the ball.
Changed the game of college football.

Advertisement
Reminds me of the black jerseys crowd. Desperation to look tough. Now the same types are celebrating Diaz sounding tough. Meanwhile, kids often have legitimate, long held, and multi pronged reasons to want to look elsewhere. Now we have an, "It's not 13th grade" argument as counter. Wow. That will occupy all of 20 seconds. And what percentage of explorer kids will be fully startled to their senses with that 20-second not-13th grade argument? Do I hear 5 percent? How 'bout 3 percent?

The rest of the Herald column portrayed Diaz as a run of the mill adjuster. We've got 7 star recruits down here. Great. When I read adjuster material I tend to lump everything else as similar caliber, and it rarely fails.

Columns like that are only a small slice of coaching reality. I'll hope we were simply fed a bad slice.

Reminds me of the black jerseys crowd. Desperation to look tough. Now the same types are celebrating Diaz sounding tough. Meanwhile, kids often have legitimate, long held, and multi pronged reasons to want to look elsewhere. Now we have an, "It's not 13th grade" argument as counter. Wow. That will occupy all of 20 seconds. And what percentage of explorer kids will be fully startled to their senses with that 20-second not-13th grade argument? Do I hear 5 percent? How 'bout 3 percent?

The rest of the Herald column portrayed Diaz as a run of the mill adjuster. We've got 7 star recruits down here. Great. When I read adjuster material I tend to lump everything else as similar caliber, and it rarely fails.

Columns like that are only a small slice of coaching reality. I'll hope we were simply fed a bad slice.

Who ****ed in your cheerios?

I think you are overthinking and misreading. It’s true there are lots of reasons why kids may choose to leave. But it’s still an emotional decision and the thing needed to overcome those reasons tends to be an emotional attachment to the values of staying local, as well perhaps as a reframing of the relative pros and cons of what is available elsewhere.

Diaz gets both sides of that and has been articulating it. Partly by addressing the benefits of staying local, partly by chipping away at the perceived benefits of going elsewhere. If you’re quibbling with his explanation or word choice, whatever. He didn’t suggest that one tagline replaces a year or two or three of connections and recruiting. The important thing is he sees the issue and is focused on it, and willing to sell Miami hard. Good for him. There is nothing negative about that. If you think he thinks talk is sufficient and actions don’t have to follow, I’d say you’re just being negative.

Someone needs to buy you one of those pill organizers because it appears you're off the meds.....call the grandkids more.

Advertisement
Trying to temper my enthusiasm, but every time I hear Manny speak or read one of his tweets, I can't help but get fired up. I don't think we've ever had a HC coach that understands the uniqueness of the U like he does. He was born and raised in it. Sure, we've had a few great HC's, but none of them lived and breathed the U like Manny. He had to leave the 305 for a time to find his way and gain some experience, but jumped at the opportunity to be the HC at the U when it presented itself; and he was ready. I really hope he's successful; not only for our football program but for him as well.

It would be nice if the degree on his wall wasn’t from a poduck school but then again he could and, “I speak from experience”. That said, he did do a little bridge burning with that comment. Miami and USC are about the only real football teams not in product towns. He might have just pushed all in because every other school will remember if he comes looking for a job. I like it, it is all about The U.

It would be nice if the degree on his wall wasn’t from a poduck school but then again he could and, “I speak from experience”. That said, he did do a little bridge burning with that comment. Miami and USC are about the only real football teams not in product towns. He might have just pushed all in because every other school will remember if he comes looking for a job. I like it, it is all about The U.
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if he has that degree hanging in his office. There was a thread started not too long ago debating whether or not he might leave to go to his "alma mater." A few said he might, but most, including myself, believe Manny will stay. I have degrees from a small university other than the U, but my allegiance is to my home town team. I feel certain Manny's allegiance is the same.

This ant the 1980s anymore these kids dont see it as any type of threat. Just doesnt work like that anymore. Being offended is nothing more than a tool to get you something you want or to deflect attention away from you being wrong. No one is going to put aside what they want for any type of statement or justice. Especially not these primadonna athletes.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if he has that degree hanging in his office. There was a thread started not too long ago debating whether or not he might leave to go to his "alma mater." A few said he might, but most, including myself, believe Manny will stay. I have degrees from a small university other than the U, but my allegiance is to my home town team. I feel certain Manny's allegiance is the same.

Nfl is the only place Manny will go from here unless fired. I’m nor sold onManny but he sounds and acts like a Cane. My problem is the same I had with Mark, to many noles on staff. They are our enemy and they are losers. Losers usual transmitt the disease. Bobby had to be given his first title.

Advertisement
Schnelly was as good a big-game coach that ever existed in college football.
He had no business beating a very talented Penn State team in 1981, yet he did in spectacular
fashion.
He also
came very close to winning at Texas, a very stacked team, but was screwed by the officiating.
And, of course, that 1984 Nebraska game was spectacular.
He also won some impressive games at Louisville.
Very impressive coach and a pioneer on the offensive side of the ball.
Changed the game of college football.

100%. Howard’s resume and field experience was superb. From coaching under The Bear, Allen and Shula, to recruiting and coaching Joe Willie and Jim Kelly, to OC of soul crushing offense of the Perfect Dolphins, Howard was the best hire Miami ever made and the is not even close.

I love JJ but he blew two NC games he was favored to win before he learned how to coach a Bowl game. Howard got one shot at what was call the team of the century and won a victory that turned the college football world upside down. Twice NE came back in that game. A lesser coach with underdog team losses then,but not Howard.

“People recruit against us all the time, ‘Don’t you want to experience something different?’ I tell kids, ‘coming to Coral Gables is as different as whatever Podunk college town a school is trying to sell you on. Don’t think this is 13th grade.’”

Translation: You grew up in South or North Dade not Coral Gables - so you're going to go away to school for the KKKland experience???
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 yo my coach is catching verbal bodies

Advertisement
Back