People REALLY getting in Marcus Tate's ear on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that your opinion, or have you seen an official statement from Clemson or some other credible source claiming it is a fake? If the latter, please provide the link, as that sort of information should be disseminated with at least as much enthusiasm as any "fake troll" posts out there.

On my end, I did find a Media Release (link) from Clemson specifically calling the alleged Blackmon post a "social media 'troll'" account, but nothing similar for the Hobson FB post. I purposely did not include a link to the Blackmon post because I did not want to continue spreading a post that has already been objectively determined to be a fake, but suffice to say it is a different photograph with a white male with his knee on the neck of another white male laying prone, and some anti BLM language.

There may be some confusion out there (even more than usual) because these two postings happened somewhat close in time, and there was also (apparently) a third post by a Clemson student via IG Story (link here; the IG Story student was exonerated). Additionally, local news outlets (the previous link, as well as this link) indicate Clemson investigated these social media posts, resulting in the previously-listed student exoneration (and the Blackmon post being deemed a fake), and a response from Clemson that the other student (later identified by Clemson's Twitter account as "Austin") is no longer enrolled.

Evidence (especially circumstantial evidence) is rarely ever definitive, but if you look at the way Clemson is handling these two situation, it suggests the one is much more likely to be credible than the others. Whereas Clemson affirmatively stated the Blackmon post was a fake about 7 weeks ago with an official media release (link above), Clemson has repeatedly responded to the Austin Hobson situation by stating, "Federal student privacy laws limit what details we can share, but we can confirm that Austin is no longer enrolled at the university." (link to Clemson Twitter response). So what we know for certain is: (1) Hobson was enrolled at Clemson; (2) a FB post (allegedly from his FB account) of someone purporting to be him in front of a racist image was circulated; (3) Clemson investigated the post; and (4) Hobson is no longer enrolled at Clemson.

Of course, you are free to arrive at your own conclusion, but those are the pertinent facts as have been reported (at least that I could find). Again, if you have found something different, please share. Getting at the truth can be difficult in an age where the dissemination of "information" has greatly outpaced our ability to determine its veracity.

I have not come to a full conclusion either way...despite my hardened defense from the pitchfork wielding groups. People standing up for some sort of due process need to be as aggressive as the other side. I have not seen any definitive proof that this is legitimate. Therefore, I NEVER hastily judge a person before I see clear evidence that this person is guilty. You are talking about ruining someone's life...you should not take that responsibilty lightly. If/when the social media mob comes for you...then you will be praying for more people with my ideology. On the flipside, if this person is proven to be what everyone is shouting for him to be...I will stand beside all of you and call for justice. That is an abbhorrent action if true.

The standards that are now being set by the mob rule mentality are completely unattainable by anyone. So all of you that believe that you are safe from it really need to put more thought info it. All Im sayin.

Advertisement
I have not come to a full conclusion either way...despite my hardened defense from the pitchfork wielding groups. People standing up for some sort of due process need to be as aggressive as the other side. I have not seen any definitive proof that this is legitimate. Therefore, I NEVER hastily judge a person before I see clear evidence that this person is guilty. You are talking about ruining someone's life...you should not take that responsibilty lightly. If/when the social media mob comes for you...then you will be praying for more people with my ideology. On the flipside, if this person is proven to be what everyone is shouting for him to be...I will stand beside all of you and call for justice. That is an abbhorrent action if true.

The standards that are now being set by the mob rule mentality are completely unattainable by anyone. So all of you that believe that you are safe from it really need to put more thought info it. All Im sayin.

I'll ask again, as you didn't respond the first time I asked... do you have ANY evidence that this was a fake post, that this was from a fake account or that the photograph isn't real? Because I saw some of the evidence that @No_Fly_Zone posted above, BEFORE I put the pic up. So nah, no pitchforks here, bud. Just more bigotry at Clemson.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is the heart of the matter. Calling a person a racist is something that will follow them for life. You have employers that do social media searches and if they came across a doctored photo, they might ask for an explanation or more likely pass on the person because its not worth their time to dig into it. Someone could have ruined this kids life either maliciously or as a bad prank. This isnt a Polaroid, it's a digital photo and they can be very easily edited. I worked in cyber operations for a long time so believe me when I say its really easy for an amateur to alter images with current technology. If I saw the metadata on the image I would be able to say for sure. Because the photo can't be authenticated and the implications are so damning, I will give the benefit of the doubt to the person. There are really ****ty and vindictive people who would do something like this out of revenge or cyberbullying.

My default- just as fundamentally decent human being - is to assume a person is not racist until, as you indicated, the preponderance of the evidence showed they are. If you passed this photo around and it turns out to be fake, you have intentionally contributed to ruining an innocent person's life and possibly the lives of his parents and family members. You can't unring that bell. If you assume it isn't true and withhold judgment until more facts come out, then what have you really lost? The ability to score some quick virtue points? After establishing the facts, you can retweet to your hearts content and make him and his extended family miserable.

In terms of the corroborating proof- how would the author figure out the kids last name from the Amazon review? Did he subpoena him for their review records? "Austin" lives in Connecticut according to the Amazon profile. I thought this happened in Clemson? Could you provide me with the link where the author said this? Even with a book sale- unless he is direct publisher I don't see how he would figure out who it was. I'd be interested in looking into this further if you showed me where you saw the author (Ross) said this.

Lastly- there is always the question of context. I don't know why the kid would do that if the photo is real- but do you remember this picture

nick-sandmann-01.jpg

Just look at that smug Trump supporter disrespecting that innocent native American man. Surely this photo speaks for itself and no further investigation is required.

You know this kid just won a $250 million dollar lawsuit for defemation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back