Payton officially a 'Cane, gives thoughts on expectations for the future, spring ball

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After committing to the Canes 10 months ago, Duncan U. Fletcher 4-star WR Jeremiah Payton finally signed his paperwork last week to officially become a Miami Hurricane. With the majority of his incoming class now set, Payton gave his thoughts on how Surge19 looks to him right now.

“I think there’s some really good things in store,” Payton said of his classmates. “Especially on the defensive side, we got a lot of good defensive players leaving to go to the NFL this season. So, coming in, I think we’re going to be a pretty strong team with a lot of young talent. These next 3 or 4 years are going to be great.”

Even with schools like Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, and Florida extending offers to him, Payton felt deep down that he was meant to be a Hurricane. How did he know Miami was the right place for him?

“Just basically the coaches. They came after me before I even stepped foot on a varsity football field to play a game,” Payton said. “Just being loyal basically. I’ve been talking to a lot of people and they ask me about that. It’s just being loyal to people that was loyal to you. Also, being able to go in and make a big impact for a team. It wasn’t because they were playing well last year; they definitely went through struggles this year, everybody goes through struggles. And also Coach (Ron) Dugans saying all the true stuff and me watching everything he said come true.”

For Payton, that loyalty went both ways. After he pledged to UM, Payton did not take visits to any other schools and essentially shut his process down, something that’s becoming increasingly rare in the world of recruiting at present.

“It’s hard to be able to deal with a whole bunch of people at one time, having to leave to go to places far out to take visits. It’s kind of a difficult thing,” Payton said.

“I think it’s by choice. I’m not going to say some kids aren’t loyal; it’s good sometimes to keep your options open, because you never know what could happen possibly. But it’s up to the person.”

On the final weekend of recruiting before the dead period, Payton joined most of the class of 2019 commits and other high priority targets on campus at Miami for his official visit. Payton spent his time furthering his bond with the coaches and players, but the best part about the trip?

“The food (laughs),” Payton said.

“But other than that, we sat down and listened to some Canes back from when I was younger. It’s called ‘UConnect’. Just the camaraderie and just listening to them talk about playing and graduating from the U. You could tell you’re always set up in places where you can succeed even after you leave.”

Payton watched UM struggled to a 7-5 record during the regular season this year. A talented WR corps didn’t exactly equate to great production for the Canes in 2018 and, with some unexpected early departures, there is plenty of available playing time at the position for a hungry underclassman next year.

“Yeah, I saw all the games, but when I’m watching the games, I wasn’t necessarily ‘watching the games’,” Payton said. “I was more watching coach Dugans and how the offense was running, and more of how coach Dugans ran his rotation.”

As an early enrollee, Payton will be on campus in Miami next month and will participate in spring ball. With the head start, Payton hopes it will give him the advantage he needs to see the field in his first season at UM, but he is not opposed to waiting his turn if necessary.

“I have high hopes for it,” Payton said on his freshman season. “Definitely ready for whatever. If I’ve got to be patient, then I’ve got to be patient. If I go in and play, I go in and play. But I definitely have real high expectations one way or the other and I’m going to do whatever I can.”

And his message for the Canes’ fans out there that have followed his recruitment?

“Stay tuned in, there’s some big stuff coming. I’m definitely trying to help out on the offensive end, and I’m on my way.”

Advertisement
What is the speed on this Kid? I know he coming in with pretty decent size already.

Advertisement
Lo was my fav offensive cane recruit last year, Nesta was my fav defensive Cane last year, this Kid and Harvey are my fav offensive and defensive Cane recruits this year. All them boys stayed 10 toes down 💯

What is the speed on this Kid? I know he coming in with pretty decent size already.
I’m not sure what he ran at the Nike opening is an accurate barometer of his speed tbh. He looks faster than that on film . With that being said He doesn’t have elite speed but more than enough to be a very good receiver.

Advertisement
I’m not sure what he ran at the Nike opening is an accurate barometer of his speed tbh. He looks faster than that on film . With that being said He doesn’t have elite speed but more than enough to be a very good receiver.

pope has great speed and can remember 5 plays and trips over his own feet everytime hes on the field.

Jarren to Jeremiah for the score, and UM is on the board against Clemson, now only trailing by 21 in the 2019 ACCCG

Edit: Psyched to have him, and see him getting playing time next year with our depth, his skill set, and that attitude

1C5B9666-FE41-4460-833B-5B37AA718FDA.gif

This guy already understands how its suppose to be done, he gone come in, work and let the chips fall where they may. This staff actually had to go thru a learning curve in regards to recruiting down here. Including coach richt who although from here, he spent the majority of his recruiting time in northern Florida and Georgia. The same with the staff he brought, they was not use to recruiting down here, even the penn disgrace staff had a leg up on recruiting down here cause he got guys that were connected to Miami, when you got guys like coach tim harris, beard and get coach kehoe in, that gives you a leg up.

Point is, we been recruiting alot of guys with talent but to many guys that are not Canes at heart, coach banda understands it and did a great job of emerging himself here and learning from coach diaz. Even though we got coach rumph on staff, he was coaching at a school that got alot of players that arent Canes at heart, but we got the one we needed, in nesta. Coach rumph definitely has his respect down here though.

The recruiting mindset of the type of players we about to get in will get better by the class and this 2019 class is already proof of that. The sooner we get bacj to shaving the heads of the freshmen when they come in, the better this team will be, we cant be letting these young guns keep walking round with gold tops and what not, make em earn their stripes!

Advertisement
Overall this class is underwhelming, i think we can all agree on that, but kids like Payton, Smith, n Harvey, r the type of kind of guys that bleed orange n green. You never hear a peep from them eventhough their talent is off the charts. Unlike the Brownlees of the world that r just jags but r on twitter airing out their dirty laudry.

Exactly the mindset I want my daughters to have if they ever have a chance at a D1 scholarship (obviously Miami being their #1 option).

Excited about having this kid. Quick question. I noticed you said unexpected early departueS. Other than Thomas, who else have we lost that was unexpected (not counting Richards because I expected him to go to the NFL)? Thanks.

Advertisement
Lo was my fav offensive cane recruit last year, Nesta was my fav defensive Cane last year, this Kid and Harvey are my fav offensive and defensive Cane recruits this year. All them boys stayed 10 toes down 💯

This!

This kid will be a Day 1 contributor. He's already got a college-ready body so he should be able to make a quick impact. Plus, his head is on straight so Dugans won't have to spend countless hours trying to talk him down off the ledge.

We just need an offensive system that will allow these weapons to flourish.

These types of kids are the absolute best you can hope for: uber talented and a traditional Cane mindset (I’m coming for your job but I’ll be patient if you’re better than me at the moment). Wish they were all like this. So easy to root for this guy.

Advertisement
Back