Paying players question

Posted this in another thread.
Ronaldo is Nike and Juventus is an adidas sponsored team. Happens a lot in professional soccer even way less talented players.
I would assume that the shoe company would want the player to sign with them and then play for school that’s also sponsored by the same shoe company. And maybe illegally that’s what some companies are doing considering some of the court cases that are pending right now with basketball.
But it would seem hypocritical if they start making contracts saying that kids would have to sign with a school that is sponsored by the same shoe company knowing that there are professional athletes in other sports where that’s not the case and they totally allow it.
If players are allowed to endorse competing brands my guess would be it would have to be off the field. UM gets fined by adidas if players tape over their cleats and the logos are blocked

Advertisement
If players are allowed to endorse competing brands my guess would be it would have to be off the field. UM gets fined by adidas if players tape over their cleats and the logos are blocked
They would have to restructure the contract. Like I said in the other thread, plenty of professional athletes wear shoes that are not the same sponsorship for the team. All 32 NFL teams have Nike uniforms but not every player wears Nike cleats
Mahomes wears Adidas even though his uniform is Nike. Brady wears under armor shoes.

Advertisement
Players can’t profit off their own likeness until the law for Florida takes effect July 1st. In Florida you can’t profit off someone else’s likeness without consent so the Caneville people could get sued and I’d be shocked if the school allowed it. There’s several bills floating in Congress right now with the thought/hope that federal legislation will pass and be active by June 30th.
Wouldn’t it be smarter to simply take a cut rather than a lawsuit? Just sayin ;)

Advertisement
Back