Paul Williams and Jethro Franklin have to go IMO

Advertisement
The titanic bought a few minutes when they shifted the chairs from stern to starboard.

Not to take up for anyone, but how can you say either of these 2 need to go when they are simply doing what is asked for them to do in the system? Our dline is asked to hold offensive lineman and play a gap and a half (never heard of it but I'm sure they know more than me) while our secondary doesn't play as aggressive in this scheme as many of us would like to see.

Dline - not many top recruits in the country want to play in such a system. Add that to the fact that we are without one of our top guys (he's gotten a ton bigger by the way) is suspended(AQM). It's hard to place a ton of blame on the actual coach when his position has really been blacklisted on the recruiting scene and the scheme doesn't allow the kids to actually attack and look dominant.

Secondary - somehow, someway, we continue to get top notch defensive backs. So I wouldn't say recruiting is an issue. Many people say player development has taken a backseat. I don't know how much I can truly agree with that. I think most look at someone like Tracy Howard for this assumption, but what about Corn Elder's development? Artie Burns? Jamal Carter looks pretty dag on good to me! Heck even Deon Bush shows flashes of getting it from time to time. Tracy may be just in a learning curve, but I wouldn't kill the kid just yet. I agree that earlier in the season these kids seemed to have handcuffs on them, but recently, they been able to play a little more and I love what I'm seeing from them. There's also a major ingredient missing in this group as well. (Rayshawn Jenkins).

My point is... hypothetically, if this group were playing the style that all of the naysayers on this board wanted to see, an aggressive 4-3 with man to man principles or even our old school cover 2 look... and these position coaches were still not getting the goods out of their positions, I'd totally agree with feeling we could use a new crew. BUT.... this scheme is set up for dbs to bend but not break (we UM fans don't like to bend, we like to make plays) and out dl is set up to hold offensive lineman and not allow them to get to the linebackers (we UM fans like to see our Jerome Brown's, Warren Sapp's and Russell Maryland's make plays).

So with all that said, how can we truly blame position coaches?

From what admin people have said and with what Pete has said, I would still expect D'Onofrio, Williams, and Franklin at the least to go.

I would love to see that, but I just don't see Coach D getting run out of town. Franklin at a minimum needs to be gone.

Unless Golden and D'Onofrio have had a falling out I don't see him being let go after the defense finishes in the top 15.

Advertisement
Again - if you want them to go because you feel your units aren't up to par...take a hard look at the scheme first.

If you want them to go because they are challenging personalities are are average recruiters, then you have a point.

If we are stuck with Al Golden, which means D'onofrio isn't going anywhere, then we at least need to replace PW and JF. They haven't shown me their value, or any reason why we should keep them. Especially on the recruiting side of things. Oh and can we please get Coach Barrow back, please!!!

Stop scapegoating assistants. It doesn't work.

Ok Chise, so seeing that this isnt going to happen. And you know it..are you just going to harp on this until it does? Root for another team? I mean come on man...You know that Golden and Dno aint going anywhere. (If anything wacky happens these last 3 games, which I doubt, then Dno might go..) But Al is here. He saved his job in the administrations eyes when we beat UNC and Vtech. It is what it is..I have learned to live with it and move on like the FSU loss. He has lived to fight another year. Am I happy about it? No. But ****, UM is my team and I gotta ride with whatever goes down.

Jethro has to do. PWilliams has to go. Everyone else can keep there job for now. Carroll isnt getting enough out of Coley and Waters and that bothers me. But he is young and I am willing to give him another shot. I am pretty much happy with everyone else.

Assistant Coach of the year has to go to Art Kehoe. He barely beats out Ice. Both of those guys are money in the bank right now for Al.

You're spraying Febreeze in a puddle of diarrhea scapegoating assistants. I won't engage in that stupidity. You want to give yourself some false hope by bringing in a new position coach? LULZ. Knock yourselves out, but it's buffoonery that I won't go along with.

Dorito and the defensive assistants deliver a top 15 defense to Folden, and Folden manages to lose 4 games and get eliminated from the Coastal with two games left, and you guys want to scapegoat defensive assistants??? That sounds like the definition of mental retardation.

You're spraying Febreeze in a puddle of diarrhea scapegoating assistants. I won't engage in that stupidity. You want to give yourself some false hope by bringing in a new position coach? LULZ. Knock yourselves out, but it's buffoonery that I won't go along with.

Dorito and the defensive assistants deliver a top 15 defense to Folden, and Folden manages to lose 4 games and get eliminated from the Coastal with two games left, and you guys want to scapegoat defensive assistants??? That sounds like the definition of mental retardation.

I love the analogy... Awesome...!

This whole chit really comes down to a lack of experience by the HC and DC. The truth is they are learning on the job. I'm ok with what's being presented over the last 4 games in the D side of the ball. The O side also got their chit together after Louisville. I like their styles and it fits our personnel. If we continue with these styles and amp it up a little bit more, we will be fine.

Advertisement

So again I will ask...seeing that you know there is a 0% chance Al Golden gets fired...What would you suggest..Keep the whole staff?

For the 1000th time. The position coaches teaches the scheme ordered by the defensive coordinator. It would not matter who you had as a DC, If Golden an D'Onfrio wants to run a certain scheme and technique that is what will be taught.

not entirely true. the position coaches can improve the individual unit fundamentally. example would be Jeremy Pruitt leaving Bama. Same DC but the defensive backfield regressed after Pruitt Left.

That's the point I try to argue with some gfer1988...

Lets say we replaced Jethro with some stud dline coach to run coach D & Golden's system...

The best we can hope for is that our defensive line is now the best group in the country at holding up offensive linemen for our linebackers and playing the gap and a half system.

We, as fans, still won't get the aggressive style that we were accustomed to. So, position coaches aren't the answer.

Advertisement
Not only that but a top 15 defense that is getting better each week.... Makes no sense
Yeah, our defense was lights out in the 2nd half last week.

Not saying the players didn't play their hearts out, but the lack of pass rush and poor tackling killed us. These issues are not going away under this staff.

So again I will ask...seeing that you know there is a 0% chance Al Golden gets fired...What would you suggest..Keep the whole staff?

First, I don't think it should be a case where there's a 0% chance Folden gets fired. He deserves to be fired.

If Folden stays it doesn't matter. I don't believe in scapegoating assistants just to give fans some false hope that things are going to change. If you can get an elite DC like Muschamp, then, of course, go ahead and try to upgrade that spot. Otherwise, just scapegoating guys and replacing them with some other unaccomplished puppet is meaningless.

Advertisement
Golden isn't going anywhere. Sadly, the administration most likely views a close loss to FSU as an achievement. And Golden doesn't fire people so get ready for more of the same next year.

Get rid of

Donofrio
Jethro
Maybe Kehoe

I think the rest of the pieces will fall into place.

The DBs have been playing MUCH better since the miraculous "changes" post GT. IMO Im more inclined to believe that Donofrio has had the keys to the car taken away from him. If he was the driving force behind these changes, I think we would have seen it much sooner.

For the 1000th time. The position coaches teaches the scheme ordered by the defensive coordinator. It would not matter who you had as a D line, If Golden an D'Onfrio wants to run a certain scheme and technique that is what will be taught.

I've been saying this for 2 years. It's not the Position Coaches, its the scheme and what Golden and D'onofrio want to be taught to the players.

Advertisement
Back