Patterson's Firing at UT

Really baffled as to why people are so willing to turn a blind eye to Strong's alarmingly atrocious decision making at UT.

Strong announced in February that he wanted to overhaul UT's offense into an up-tempo spread to adapt to their recruiting base. That was smart. But then he retained offensive coordinator Shawn Watson to implement those changes, even though Watson's entire resume revolved around running a methodical, pro-style West Coast offense. That was monumentally f***ing stupid and it predictably blew up in his face, resulting in Watson's playcalling duties being revoked one game into the 2015 season.

While Golden has always tried to fit a square peg into a round hole with his players and has been unwilling to make changes to his staff, Strong tried to fit a square peg into a round hole by keeping Watson to run an offense he had no experience with. Mind-numbingly stupid decision and a red flag that's impossible to ignore.

Not only was it a terrible move, but to publicly throw his OC under the bus like that was alarming. It was a public lynching, and Strong looked very bad while doing it. Funny thing is he did the same thing at Louisville when he publicly executed then OC Mike Sanford and replaced him with, you guessed it, Shawn Watson.

At the press conference where he lynched Watson, he looked overwhelmed and beaten. Maybe he's not cut out for a big stage and is better suited for a Group of 5 conference gig where he's the underdog.

UT hired Strong with the idea that they needed a complete overhaul of the soft country club mentality that had set in under Brown. Strong ran off half the team, and he hasn't gotten his footing yet. Problem at UT is that he might not get the chance to get his footing because they don't want to keep getting embarrassed on the field in the process of him attempting to change the culture.

Advertisement
My concern with strong is who he would bring in to be OC. His offense is embarrassing at texas

Strong has went way down on my "want" list mainly in the last few months, but his 2 years at Texas have just been awful. I could understand year 1 with transition and everything, but year 2 there has been no improvement at all, regression more than anything.

But that being said, I think him firing his OC after game 1 showed the real heat he is on right now. I dont think it was 100% his decision to do so, it came from up top somewhere. His defense is suffering because the DC responsible for the elite defense stayed at Louisville.

I think he's looking for a job come about December but unless he has someone good in mind for OC if we were interested I would pass. No doubt he could recruit but he's not the X's and O's guy that can make something out of nothing, he's only going to be as good as the talent he has.

Strongs team is bare mostly because he ran off players on an already poorly recruited team. He still has potential but he's lost millions on his next contact. One improvement over Al would be him at least knowing how to fire a bad staff member. Something Al has never done.

Advertisement
Strong has went way down on my "want" list mainly in the last few months, but his 2 years at Texas have just been awful. I could understand year 1 with transition and everything, but year 2 there has been no improvement at all, regression more than anything.

But that being said, I think him firing his OC after game 1 showed the real heat he is on right now. I dont think it was 100% his decision to do so, it came from up top somewhere. His defense is suffering because the DC responsible for the elite defense stayed at Louisville.

I think he's looking for a job come about December but unless he has someone good in mind for OC if we were interested I would pass. No doubt he could recruit but he's not the X's and O's guy that can make something out of nothing, he's only going to be as good as the talent he has.

Charlie Strong took his Louisville OC and DC with him at Texas. The difference is they don't have the talent in place to win, they play tougher opponent and he can't recruit his hotbed (Florida) as good from Texas.

The Texas college map has change drastically. Baylor and TCU are real players for the best player in Texas, Texas A&M are also obviously. The day UT could get every player they wanted is over.

You guys like Strong over Wannstedt? Crazy.

One is a Miami Canes legend who won a NATTY, coached the Dolphins and the Bears and win coach of the year honors

Another is an ex Gator whose claim to fame is winning the AAC and beating a 6-7 Florida team and an Al Folden Canes team...no NFL, failed in a power 5 conference with more money and resources than any opponent....oh yeah and gator

Hmm. Yall ain't right

Advertisement
You guys like Strong over Wannstedt? Crazy.

One is a Miami Canes legend who won a NATTY, coached the Dolphins and the Bears and win coach of the year honors

Another is an ex Gator whose claim to fame is winning the AAC and beating a 6-7 Florida team and an Al Folden Canes team...no NFL, failed in a power 5 conference with more money and resources than any opponent....oh yeah and gator

Hmm. Yall ain't right

Would absolutely take Strong over Wanny. Give me the guy who went 12-1 this decade at Louisville over a guy who won as an assistant in the 80's. Ole Dave has never been good and the stache couldn't recruit here. It's Pitt but they were terrible and are better off now that he's gone.

Strong isnt going anywhere, anytime soon, so you guys can get over that.

The boosters aren't stupid. They're going to give him at least 2 more years, unless there's a REAL dumpster fire string of losses.

Mack Brown left that program in horrendous shape. Think, worse than Shannon x 10. It's that bad. When Shannon left, at least there were "draftable" players left on the roster. UT barely had guys touched in the NFL. Strong had more guys at UL drafted than UT and UM combined.

The Patterson firing doesn't affect Strong anytime soon. This was more about Patterson himself burning bridges and ****ing off boosters. The UT boosters know this is going to take some time.

Charlie Strong took his Louisville OC and DC with him at Texas. The difference is they don't have the talent in place to win, they play tougher opponent and he can't recruit his hotbed (Florida) as good from Texas.

The Texas college map has change drastically. Baylor and TCU are real players for the best player in Texas, Texas A&M are also obviously. The day UT could get every player they wanted is over.

I was thinking Grantham was at Louisville in that last year when they were good as ****. That's what I'm saying though, he's never going to turn Texas around without being able to recruit the players he needs to his system. Grantham is as good at drawing up schemes as anyone, Strong just lets the D loose and they make him look good. He just doesn't have the players at Texas he needs and he won't until he can win. Then, he's not going to win until he can recruit. Double ended sword, the ship is going to sink sooner rather than later imo.

The boosters aren't stupid. They're going to give him at least 2 more years, unless there's a REAL dumpster fire string of losses.

Mack Brown left that program in horrendous shape. Think, worse than Shannon x 10. It's that bad. When Shannon left, at least there were "draftable" players left on the roster. UT barely had guys touched in the NFL. Strong had more guys at UL drafted than UT and UM combined.

The Patterson firing doesn't affect Strong anytime soon. This was more about Patterson himself burning bridges and ****ing off boosters. The UT boosters know this is going to take some time.

Do they have 2 more years to wait and let TCU and Baylor run away with the state of Texas? Add in A&M who will land big recruits just because they are in the SEC. 2 years and Texas is sunk for a while. Strong trying to implement a completely new offense without a true coordinator this year is going to do him in. Should have addressed that in the offseason. No QB, defense looks terrible.. They might not win 4 games, boosters at Texas don't care to buy him out and they will if they see he's not a good fit and there are other options out there that can do way better.

Advertisement
If you take out the Teddy years in Louisville, what is his record?

2010: 7-6
2014: 6-7
2015: 1-1

I am not defending Strong's coaching ability, but those records aren't exactly fair without context. 2010 was his first year at UL and they had gone 4-8 the previous year. 2014 was his first year at Texas and as has been discussed in this thread, he ran off half the team that was used to the Club Med life.

Now the decision to switch offenses and keep the current OC who had no experience with it; that probably was not a good idea.

If you take out the Teddy years in Louisville, what is his record?

2010: 7-6
2014: 6-7
2015: 1-1

I am not defending Strong's coaching ability, but those records aren't exactly fair without context. 2010 was his first year at UL and they had gone 4-8 the previous year. 2014 was his first year at Texas and as has been discussed in this thread, he ran off half the team that was used to the Club Med life.

Now the decision to switch offenses and keep the current OC who had no experience with it; that probably was not a good idea.

I am well aware. I don't think the guy is such a "strong" candidate either. He hasn't shown he can win without an elite Heisman QB. We saw how his team performed with one at QB and without it. If 2015 looks like 2014 (no improvement), it would lead me to believe that it was more the players and less the coach. I am saying it is really difficult to know whether or not he has the goods.

Either he wins at Texas and it is a moot point because Texas would keep him. Or if he can't win at Texas, he gets fired this year or next year. Either way, if he can't win at Texas, do you want him at UM?

Do they have 2 more years to wait and let TCU and Baylor run away with the state of Texas? Add in A&M who will land big recruits just because they are in the SEC. 2 years and Texas is sunk for a while. Strong trying to implement a completely new offense without a true coordinator this year is going to do him in. Should have addressed that in the offseason. No QB, defense looks terrible.. They might not win 4 games, boosters at Texas don't care to buy him out and they will if they see he's not a good fit and there are other options out there that can do way better.

Strong is working with what he had (Brown's players) for the most part. It's easy to see: the best players in the program-right now- are Strong's players. I live in Austin and that's clearly what the local media keeps saying - over and over.
They just announced that Jerrod Heard is the starter over Tyrone Swoopes. Yeah the former 5 star QB that was recruited by Brown. Heard is a beast and he's Charlie's guy. The regime is changing. Like I said, Strong inherited a mess. Malik Jefferson is going to be a household name real soon. STUD! Again, one of Strong's guys...

He's going to be given time. Don't bet on him being at Miami anytime soon.

2014 NFL Draft: Strong had more players drafted in the 1st Round- at LOUISVILLE - than:

Miami
FSU
Florida
Texas

COMBINED

He's going to be given time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Strong is now on the hot seat. Could see them pulling the trigger and bringing in Saban after this year. If Strong is let go than it could be a possibility of him landing the Miami gig... Who would strong bring in as an offensive guy since he just demoted his friend he brought with him from Louisville. Or this could happen Butch as HC with Strong as DC since Texas will be paying him just like Muscrap is doing at Auburn.

The idea of this just made me drool on my keyboard. Talk about rebuilding the fence around the State of Miami. Heck, the whole state of Fla might be on lock if this happens.

Really baffled as to why people are so willing to turn a blind eye to Strong's alarmingly atrocious decision making at UT.

Strong announced in February that he wanted to overhaul UT's offense into an up-tempo spread to adapt to their recruiting base. That was smart. But then he retained offensive coordinator Shawn Watson to implement those changes, even though Watson's entire resume revolved around running a methodical, pro-style West Coast offense. That was monumentally f***ing stupid and it predictably blew up in his face, resulting in Watson's playcalling duties being revoked one game into the 2015 season.

While Golden has always tried to fit a square peg into a round hole with his players and has been unwilling to make changes to his staff, Strong tried to fit a square peg into a round hole by keeping Watson to run an offense he had no experience with. Mind-numbingly stupid decision and a red flag that's impossible to ignore.

Not only was it a terrible move, but to publicly throw his OC under the bus like that was alarming. It was a public lynching, and Strong looked very bad while doing it. Funny thing is he did the same thing at Louisville when he publicly executed then OC Mike Sanford and replaced him with, you guessed it, Shawn Watson.

At the press conference where he lynched Watson, he looked overwhelmed and beaten. Maybe he's not cut out for a big stage and is better suited for a Group of 5 conference gig where he's the underdog.

UT hired Strong with the idea that they needed a complete overhaul of the soft country club mentality that had set in under Brown. Strong ran off half the team, and he hasn't gotten his footing yet. Problem at UT is that he might not get the chance to get his footing because they don't want to keep getting embarrassed on the field in the process of him attempting to change the culture.

Not so alarming...If only Al Foil would do that to ANY of his coordinators

Advertisement
Back