Patrick Joyner ?

Advertisement
I saw the F$U board yesterday and they seem to be thinking he's flipping to us. I said this in another thread but it seems that they're reacting to it similarly to us with Randy Russell. They'd like him in the class but whatever. Some of them think he can't play LB but it seems like our guys see him as a LB.

He better be, kid is a stud. Some of the best lb film I've seen for this class

I saw the F$U board yesterday and they seem to be thinking he's flipping to us. I said this in another thread but it seems that they're reacting to it similarly to us with Randy Russell. They'd like him in the class but whatever. Some of them think he can't play LB but it seems like our guys see him as a LB.

Not really, josh newberg said by far he's their best dline commit right now and it would hurt if he left

Advertisement
He's a natural pass rush , but has the hips and versatility to drop. I love this kid.

Not really, josh newberg said by far he's their best dline commit right now and it would hurt if he left

Yeah... I'm talking about their posters. They have him at d line and we like him at LB

You mean best film from a prospect projected to play LB, b/c his film is as a stand up rush end at the line of scrimmage.

None of his film shows him using LB instincts, or lining up as a traditional LB having to read the offense then attack.

He just rushes the passer every play.

I would like to see him play LB this season before saying I would take him over Louis, Reese or Sherwood.

I have never been a fan of bringing in rush ends to play LB when they have never played that position (MRob, McCord, McCray, Trent Harris, Mike Smith etc...)

Need guys that can play in space and cover that have superior LB instincts like Spence, Perryman, Vilma etc...

He reminds me a lot of Wilder from last class who IMO needs to redshirt so he can learn to play LB.

But hey, if Diaz wants him over the other guys I'm all for it.

You mean best film from a prospect projected to play LB, b/c his film is as a stand up rush end at the line of scrimmage.

None of his film shows him using LB instincts, or lining up as a traditional LB having to read the offense then attack.

I would like to see him play LB this season before saying I would take him over Louis, Reese or Sherwood.

I have never been a fan of bringing in rush ends to play LB when they have never played that position (MRob, McCord, McCray, Trent Harris, Mike Smith etc...)

Need guys that can play in space and cover that have superior LB instincts like Spence, Perryman, Vilma etc...

He reminds me a lot of Wilder from last class who IMO needs to redshirt so he can learn to play LB.

He's a hybrid , he'll play olb and put his hand in the dirt on third downs.

Sherwood , Louis and Reese are different positions and different skill sets. Honestly Reese don't blow me away , Sherwood hasn't shown anything at lb and Louis is a DP clone . I love him at Mike.

Joyner is a great athlete too, there's a reason fsu doesn't want to lose him.

Mccray, Smith and toolbox are nowhere in the same universe as Pj.

Last edited:
Advertisement
idk about yall but after watching both chatfield and joyner's film I just don't understand how we haven't already offered chatfield. Hes a highlevel player. Chatfield looks even more fluid that joyner and as strong as well

compare the 2 films, I like chatfields film better although joyner's film is pretty solid as well too
Best Defensive End / OLB In 2018 #D2D - Andrew Chatfield highlights - Hudl

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4763401/58321b29c124d813c8236fcd

Joyner is being recruited at LB. Chatfield doesn't have the speed to play LB.

idk about yall but after watching both chatfield and joyner's film I just don't understand how we haven't already offered chatfield. Hes a highlevel player. Chatfield looks even more fluid that joyner and as strong as well

compare the 2 films, I like chatfields film better although joyner's film is pretty solid as well too

I think Chatfield's offer is coming this summer and Kool will be on him. However, he's a true DE. Joyner is more less a rush end LB. He'll have to learn how to play the LB position along w/ rushing the QB. As I've stated many times, I want A.C in this class. Not only is he really, REALLY good, imo...but I want that AH pipeline a little more opened.

Advertisement
Yay. Another Chatfield derail. Joyner and Chatfield have different skills and abilities.

Here's the culprit:

Advertisement
How many LBs are we taking? Joyner's an A athlete so I understand the desire to close him. But I agree with Tyrn that he looks like a Wilder clone when we don't have much depth at the classic LB roles. If we're only taking 2 LBs I'd rather it be Louis at Mike and a more versatile OLB like Reese with proven coverage skills. If we're taking three, then I can see the reason for the flyer.

This is a great observation. There's a crucial difference in the talents needed to play LB vs DE. A LB needs to be able to read/diagnose the play and find the ballcarrier, whereas a DL just generally pins his ears back and attacks. Converting DEs to LBs frequently doesn't work because the ability to diagnose the play isn't always easy to develop. Doesn't matter how fast/athletic the kid is.

This is a great observation. There's a crucial difference in the talents needed to play LB vs DE. A LB needs to be able to read/diagnose the play and find the ballcarrier, whereas a DL just generally pins his ears back and attacks. Converting DEs to LBs frequently doesn't work because the ability to diagnose the play isn't always easy to develop. Doesn't matter how fast/athletic the kid is.

I wonder if Manny knows this earth shattering stuff ? I mean our staff loves him and so does fsu's, somebody should let them know this asap.

Advertisement
Back