Patke talks striker competition, updates returner battle on special teams

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Hurricanes outside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator Jonathan Patke mainly works with the strikers on defense, the spot where UM moved sophomore Keontra Smith in the spring after he played safety in 2019.

“Keontra has done a heck of a job, is really coming along,” Patke said. “We think of him as an older guy almost with Romeo (Finley) being the guy the last few years. He’s a coach-pleaser, hard-worker, head down, will do everything it takes to be a great player.”

Smith was working with the twos in spring, while redshirt sophomore Gilbert Frierson took the departed Finley’s spot on the first unit.

“Gilbert’s smart, can line up the entire defense,” Patke said. “Coming from corner a year ago, he knows corner, safety and striker, understands the defense, what we’re trying to do. He’s the old guy in that room and is very cerebral when it comes to football.”

While Frierson is the more experienced player at the position, Patke mentioned that there is still an open competition between Frierson and Smith for the starting job. Former walk-on Ryan Ragone, who earned a scholarship last week, is working on the third team at striker.

"I think [Smith and Frierson] are similar," Patke said. "They are both smart, they are both physical. When we signed Keontra out of high school, we knew how physical he was as a great tackler. He played a lot in the box and played the striker position in high school a lot. He is very used to what we ask him to do and Gilbert brings a year under his belt to the table. They bring some different things to the table, but they are similar in some sorts. Gilbert is a little taller. It is going to be fun to watch during this camp to see who is going to take that job over and obviously we want to play multiple people, but I want to see them battle it out."

Turning towards special teams, after the Canes’ well-documented struggles in the kicking game during 2019, the kicking job in 2020 will go to FIU redshirt senior transfer Jose Borregales, who hit on multiple 50+ yard field goals to help FIU upset the Hurricanes last season. A Lou Groza Award finalist for the nation’s top kicker in 2018, Borregales is 50-66 (76%) on FG’s in his 3-year career, including a 131-134 (98%) mark on extra points. Borregales is also known for his strong leg from deep, connecting on 13-16 (81%) from 40-49 yards out, and 4-6 (67%) from 50+ yards out in his career. His arrival will instantly improve Miami’s kicking woes in 2020 according to Patke.

“Adding an older guy that’s played in a lot of football, has kicked at a high level going into his fifth year, I am definitely confident in the guy’s talent,” Patke said of Borregales. “We need to see him do it in a game, but today at practice we saw him make a 52-yarder that would have been good from 60. He has all the talent and I am amazed to watch him work. He carries himself like a pro, like a veteran, and guys respect him. That makes our whole team better, has us more confident to have the field goal team trot out there and expect points.”

Redshirt junior punter Louis Hedley ended up being a revelation in his first season with the Canes in 2019, taking a punting game that had finished last in the ACC in yards per punt for two straight seasons (38.7 ypp in 2017, 38.3 ypp in 2018) and moving the needle up to 6th in the conference (43.9 ypp in 2019). The Australian is back for more as a redshirt junior in 2020 and will be backed up by redshirt senior walk-on Matias Gasc, a transfer from Stetson who averaged 39.3 ypp in 31 games over the past three seasons for the Hatters.

“[Gasc] gives us depth we need at that position, a guy with a good leg and he can hold,” Patke said. “We thought it was a steal getting him in our program.”

On the return units, the Canes will have to find new primary returners with Jeff Thomas, Deejay Dallas, and KJ Osborn now gone.

At punt returner, Patke said the Canes are working in 10 different players, and Patke singled out WR Mark Pope as an early standout there.

“He has a great feel, is standing out right now just catching the punts,” Patke said of Pope. “We need a punt catcher before we have a returner. We need to field the football first and that is not an easy task. It’s a hard job, nerve-racking job, all eyes are on you with that ball in the air.”

At kickoff returner, Patke says Miami has been rotating 8 different players in an attempt to find an answer. Pope, RB Jaylan Knighton, and WR Mike Harley have impressed Patke thus far.

“You have a whole bunch of guys, it’s an open competition,” Patke said.

Advertisement
Hedley's punting is going to amazing in flipping the field when on the occasions when the offense goes 3 and in under 2 minutes. This will save our bacon several times, hopefully Manny can talk him into coming back for his senior year.

Go Canes

200.gif

Miami has been rotating 8 different players in an attempt to find an answer. Pope, RB Jaylan Knighton, and WR Mike Harley have impressed Patke thus far.

Advertisement
quick question do we ever have a nickel back on the field at the same time as a striker? It seems like it’s always the striker that has to play NB and cover the slot right?
That's a great question. I would assume there are packages that include a striker and a NB.

quick question do we ever have a nickel back on the field at the same time as a striker? It seems like it’s always the striker that has to play NB and cover the slot right?
This is the speed package I've alluded to recently with Carter at LB.

DE NT DE

LB LB ST

NB CB FS SS CB

Harvey Phillips Roche

Carter McCloud Frierson

Couch Blades Bolden Hall Ivey

That's a great question. I would assume there are packages that include a striker and a NB.

I was just thinking about it bc I don’t remember seeing it. The main issue I have with the striker is it seems like it’s taken out of the play more times than other similar hybrid positions that I’ve seen from other teams.

I think it would be beneficial to the ones playing striker in terms of the NFL draft to have more rover responsibilities in certain plays. It also would allow them to help the two LBers out more in run support and covering that area of the field.

I could be off but I don’t recall a NB on the field at the same time as a Striker, especially when I think back to how Zach McCloud use to move so far over trying to cover slot receivers completely away from the LOS.

This is the speed package I've alluded to recently with Carter at LB.

DE NT DE

LB LB ST

NB CB FS SS CB

Harvey Phillips Roche

Carter McCloud Frierson

Couch Blades Bolden Hall Ivey

I would replace McCloud with Huff in that line up but also have another version where LBers like McCloud and Patrick Joyner can shift into a hybrid lber/de position to line up in a hybrid 4-2-5 / 3-3-5 look with Miller at NT and Phillips (or Roche) and Nesta on the ends.

Advertisement
I was watching a few of our games last year and noticed it a few times, but Finley usually acted as the NB. Personally I feel like it puts the striker at a disadvantage as Manny seems to prefer more of a bigger S (Finley and now Frierson).The thing is none of the guys so far have proven to consistently be effective in coverage. Hopefully Gilbert has improved and or we see a lot of Keontra.

I would never go with a 3 man front on the DL. Why? Our DL is the most talented and deepest position group on our team. For me, it makes no sense to reduce our pass rush to three guys when you have this talent. Rather, I’d rush 4 and thus avoid having to blitz so much like we did last year. We were consistently burned last year when we rushed 5. No need for that this year. Stick with a 4-2-5 on obvious passing downs.

The question for me is who will be on our 4 man DL speed package. Phillips, Roche and Harvey for sure. Who’s the 4th? Could it t be a quick DT eg Nesta, Blissett, Holley? Or could we add another DE, eg Chantz Williams?

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Patke has to be the weakest position coach on the team.

can him and put Telly in his spot coaching strikers and STs.... crooting will only increase with him allowed to be more hands on

Why no vitriol like this for Blake Baker?

What's he done here to escape the furious ire of this rabid horde of Patke-hating boomers?

Why no vitriol like this for Blake Baker?

What's he done here to escape the furious ire of this rabid horde of Patke-hating boomers?
He’s a close 2nd...

Much like how Diaz was smarter enough as DC to make big changes to his defense (striker position) I’m hoping Baker does the same and re-evaluates every single Fugg up play he called

patke has been here multiple years and received undeserved promotions

Advertisement
I was just thinking about it bc I don’t remember seeing it. The main issue I have with the striker is it seems like it’s taken out of the play more times than other similar hybrid positions that I’ve seen from other teams.

I think it would be beneficial to the ones playing striker in terms of the NFL draft to have more rover responsibilities in certain plays. It also would allow them to help the two LBers out more in run support and covering that area of the field.

I could be off but I don’t recall a NB on the field at the same time as a Striker, especially when I think back to how Zach McCloud use to move so far over trying to cover slot receivers completely away from the LOS.
The striker position primarily and only makes sense if we going against primarily spread or zone offenses, against a team like Boston college or Wisconsin, that striker position gets skull drugged, see how poor finley limped to the finish line this year. In the old days, we used our most athletic linebackers on that side, this the exact reason butch davis kept calling for and got those gash run plays to the weak striker side.

I would never go with a 3 man front on the DL. Why? Our DL is the most talented and deepest position group on our team. For me, it makes no sense to reduce our pass rush to three guys when you have this talent. Rather, I’d rush 4 and thus avoid having to blitz so much like we did last year. We were consistently burned last year when we rushed 5. No need for that this year. Stick with a 4-2-5 on obvious passing downs.

The question for me is who will be on our 4 man DL speed package. Phillips, Roche and Harvey for sure. Who’s the 4th? Could it t be a quick DT eg Nesta, Blissett, Holley? Or could we add another DE, eg Chantz Williams?

Thoughts?
Completely agree. This is another reason I am down on Baker. Just makes no sense to go with a 3 man line with we have on the DL. I'm hoping he learns from his mistakes but I just don't think it's likely that Diaz puts his neck on the line for Baker. I expect Diaz to be the defacto DC this year or whenever we play next. Manny has too much riding on this to roll with a plebe like Baker.

The striker position primarily and only makes sense if we going against primarily spread or zone offenses, against a team like Boston college or Wisconsin, that striker position gets skull drugged, see how poor finley limped to the finish line this year. In the old days, we used our most athletic linebackers on that side, this the exact reason butch davis kept calling for and got those gash run plays to the weak striker side.
Truth.

Advertisement
Back