Patke talks growth of strikers, goes in-depth on special teams

View as article
*** munch? What man uses that word? You sound like a boy.

Again, FGs are irrelevant to my previous comment. Let’s break this down...

1. We all agree our kickers have been lights out. No one has argued against this.
2. Our kick coverages have been good, but where the argument resides is whether this is a function of our great kickers limiting opportunities for returns, or a function of improved coverage and coaching. If arguing the latter, do we have a significant sample size this season?
3. The main debate is our return game. What have you seen that indicated this has improved. For the last two years, and this is part of my argument, no matter who Patke outs out to return kicks, they seem unprepared. This goes back to Jeff Thomas vs. UF. They lack basic awareness. This year is a total shot show. Please change my mind.

The return game is hampered by talent not coaching. That is fact.

You keep blaming coaches for Pope's blunders. That is on Pope. If coaches tell him not to do something and he does it, how is that on them. The coaches yanked his *** after his second fumble and put Restrepo in. That is coaching.

Restrepo is a freshman. A true freshman at that. Let's wait until the end of year to see how he perform. Then you can criticize the one unit that has been ******* lights out this year.

Advertisement
The return game is hampered by talent not coaching. That is fact.

You keep blaming coaches for Pope's blunders. That is on Pope. If coaches tell him not to do something and he does it, how is that on them. The coaches yanked his *** after his second fumble and put Restrepo in. That is coaching.

Restrepo is a freshman. A true freshman at that. Let's wait until the end of year to see how he perform. Then you can criticize the one unit that has been ******* lights out this year.

Restrepo, Pope, Harley, Jeff Thomas... see a trend? It doesn’t matter..the players change, but coach is the same.

Ehhhhh....

We can punt and kick. That's great. In addition to PR, we've seen nothing at KR yet, allowed the only onside kick attempted due to **** poor effort.

I'll take the blocked kicks all day, but the entirety of special teams is still a bit of an unknown if not a mixed bag.
Mixed bag? #6 in net punting; #1 in block kicks; #22 in kick return defense and if you look at yards we are #15; #26 on kick returns; #1 on field goal percentage; #7 on field goals per game. The one area is punt returns. We sit at #47 and that is misleading because Pope has coughed it up twice. That has been the problem. The freshman back there is even worse.

Restrepo is a ******* true freshman. You don’t have a large enough sample size to make a determination on his efficacy as a punt returner.

Pope is/was an idiot and that is the reason he no longer is the punt returner.

You continue to place blame on coaches for things that they can’t control. If a coach tells a player not to field a punt inside their 10 and the player does so anyway, whose fault is it? That is on the player. The coach not benching him is on the coach.

Your argument lacks a foundation, which is why it is so easily dismantled.

1602774094213.gif

*** munch? What man uses that word? You sound like a boy.

Again, FGs are irrelevant to my previous comment. Let’s break this down...

1. We all agree our kickers have been lights out. No one has argued against this.
2. Our kick coverages have been good, but where the argument resides is whether this is a function of our great kickers limiting opportunities for returns, or a function of improved coverage and coaching. If arguing the latter, do we have a significant sample size this season?
3. The main debate is our return game. What have you seen that indicated this has improved. For the last two years, and this is part of my argument, no matter who Patke outs out to return kicks, they seem unprepared. This goes back to Jeff Thomas vs. UF. They lack basic awareness. This year is a total shot show. Please change my mind.
Who recruited Borregales and helped Hedley develop from a solid punter last year to an elite one this year?

Are you forgetting that we blocked THREE kicks on Saturday? No school has blocked more kicks in a single game since 2012.

How can you argue that we have too small a sample size on coverage when the only reason you think PRs have been bad are because of 3 plays? Lol.

You need to get over the lack of KRs. Yes they were a fun part of football back in the day, but they've been all but regulated out of the game.

Our special teams have been among the best in the nation. Refusing to give our special teams coach credit just proves that you're biased. It's ok to change your mind.

Advertisement
Who recruited Borregales and helped Hedley develop from a solid punter last year to an elite one this year?

Are you forgetting that we blocked THREE kicks on Saturday? No school has blocked more kicks in a single game since 2012.

How can you argue that we have too small a sample size on coverage when the only reason you think PRs have been bad are because of 3 plays? Lol.

You need to get over the lack of KRs. Yes they were a fun part of football back in the day, but they've been all but regulated out of the game.

Our special teams have been among the best in the nation. Refusing to give our special teams coach credit just proves that you're biased. It's ok to change your mind.
You clearly didn’t read what I wrote. No one is debating kickers, and I can assure you Patke provided them with little development since both were “elite” upon their arrival. Our return game has been putrid under Patke.

Last edited:
Restrepo is a ******* true freshman. You don’t have a large enough sample size to make a determination on his efficacy as a punt returner.

Pope is/was an idiot and that is the reason he no longer is the punt returner.

You continue to place blame on coaches for things that they can’t control. If a coach tells a player not to field a punt inside their 10 and the player does so anyway, whose fault is it? That is on the player. The coach not benching him is on the coach.

Your argument lacks a foundation, which is why it is so easily dismantled.

View attachment 133736
Are you saying Rooster and Chaney arent talented enough to return kicks? A coach‘s job is to develop players. They cant all be elite when they arrive like Hedley and Borregales. Again, look at Patkes resume and tell me how good he is. Look at our return game The last two years and tell me how good of a coach he is. Try to be objective.

Last edited:
Why exactly would we move someone to a position that's deep when said person is excelling at the position he's currently in?

Can we ever just have something, when it's working, and let it be that way?
good point. And people on here want to defend Patke/Diaz/Baker.

Advertisement
Yeah, because Patke developed Borreg and Hedley? Revisionist history giving credit to him vs. the portal. Dude is no bueno. How is our return game these last few years? Nome of our returners have been prepared for a few years.

How is our return game since Hester left?
good point. And people on here want to defend Patke/Diaz/Baker.

Well that is a defensible point for the current staff. We've been mostly bad in the return game under every coach since Coker. The lone bright spots have been Benjamin, Duke, Braxton and Osborne.

Well, and of course, Richard Gordon.

Frierson might be our best defender right now.... Let's move him though

While I agree with your sentiment, Frierson isn't playing anywhere near the level Bolden has shown all season. And I'm high on Frierson and expected him to take a big leap this year.

But yeah, let's also move the guy who can't tackle (Carter) to STK. Because that makes sense.

Get a reliable FG kicker and punter.... 80% of your ST troubles go away... you only need to coach the other 20%

We will see once Hedley and JB Sr. leaves, it Patke is any good as ST coach.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back