Patke LB Coach/ Aristide OLB

He wasn’t. Manny was given a wet Willy by Gus in a full Nelson. Spent a whole thread getting thrashed about that take but it’s real. Gus is proven and just because he is employed by the space school doesn’t change the fact that Manny has a way to go with “playing the game”.
Just because you double down on a bad take doesn’t make it right 😂

Advertisement
Someone’s gonna have to explain to me how our punt coverage sucked when last year we had the #1 net punting average IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT.

Maybe that’s all because of the right foot of Australian jesus and Patke had nothing to do with it - but I’m just saying, poor punt coverage should not be used as ammo in the “fire the last of manny’s boys” ****nal.

Gus doesn’t micromanage? Ask any of his former OCs. There is a reason Lashlee took the UCONN job. And it wasn’t because he loved Storrs in the fall.

Where did this only coaching OLB stuff come from? Considering we don’t even have pure OLBs it sure must’ve been an interesting sell job by Manny if even a real thing.

Ain’t no one in the college football world but you gonna suggest that Gus isn’t a micromanager when it comes to his offense
Which is why I said defensive coaches, just the same as manny doesn't micromanage offensive coaches. If I didn't elaborate on that my fault. I think I did though. Far as olb it was literally his job title. He was gonna coach olb. When people are unemployed it doesn't take much of a sell job.

You gotta give credit where it's due. Borregalles case he was already established as money before he got here and Hedley the second he stepped on campus(which was before patke was coaching special teams)has been doing the same exact thing he does now. The measure of our special teams is in the play of the unit not the play of two players... I'm sorry but overall special teams play is atrocious.
people keep pointing to the punter and the kicker as evidence of Patke's ability to coach ST. false!

In 2016, Berrios returned 1 in every 4 of our opponents' punts for an average of 1.46 per game. That season, the top 10 leading punt returners in the country (excluding Berrios) averaged 1.6 punt returns per game. In 2017 he returned 13 punts (1 per game), which was conspicuously low when compared to the 1.8 per game avarage of the top 10 returners that season. However, he did average 15.9 yards per return. In 2019 he finished 2nd in the NFL in punt returns. Nobody is saying Braxton belongs in the UM sports HoF along side Kevin Williams, Santana Moss and Devin Hester...but to pretend that he wasn't an excellent returner is nonsense. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, given that posters like you have no qualms about diminishing the effort and accomplishments of members of the program to advance your own egotistical sense of self importance. Go on ahead and trash Berrios some more to make your point. As long as you win the argument I guess it's all good.
Are you really this stoopid or are you incapable of reading anything beyond this one point? If so you would've seen I defend Brax constantly as being a good returned when he actually decided to. He was doing what hartley emphasized by calling for a fair catch. Also incase you didn't realize I was using the number 8 out of ten simply as a way to say how often he would call for a fair catch. You went on to argue 1 out of every 4 and how efficient he was when he chose to get up field(which I agree with) issue here would be if he did 1 out of every 4 wouldn't that also mean he called for a fair catch 7 and change or 8 out of every ten? You literally proved the point that he'd leave alot of yards on the field by simply calling for so many fair catches. That's not a knock on him anywhere near as much as it was a knock on hartley. He emphasized ball protection because of how inefficient we were on offense. The outlook being they needed as many cracks as possible to get it right. But twist it however u choose to prove ur point.

Advertisement
Funny that Patke is drawing criticism over special teams when Jesus Christ himself could not help Baxa or Feagles kick or punt better. I haven't followed them at their new destinations but it is highly likely they are still struggling. They both sucked that bad! Apparently neither Likens nor Patke can help Pope learn how to catch the ball either and Likens has had an impressive history as a coach.

I understand that we don't award credit to a coach for players who are already developed transferring in. Patke should get at least some credit for Hedley because he was certainly kicking a different ball before he got here. As noted, the main issue with special teams is returns. Patke has had good returners since he has been here. Some folks here are expecting a coach to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Nobody could predict Pope would be that bad. He tried 4 different players at punt returner last year. Well Tyrique Stevenson is coming in not only to be a starting CB, but also to be a punt returner this year. On another note, of course Strikers have had a couple bad games here or there, like the rest of the defense. They have still been the best performing unit on the defense.

Other than Baker being a very bad fit here, he was a horrendous playcaller. He called way too much zone in comparison to Diaz in previous years resulting in a very noticeable decline on defense. Baker was a fish out of water here in every aspect of his job. Playcalling alone will improve the defense without even mentioning the big upgrades on coaches at each position group. Willing to bet each position group performs better with more aggressive playcalling, including more bump/press coverage, blitzing and better coaching.

Simpson is another ace that makes the back 7's jobs easier due to better gap integrity & outside contain (something our DE's sucked at under Stroud). Can't forget that the great stats this D put up in 2018 were with Simpson as DL coach. I believe communication between safeties and CB's will be better with TRob and there is no mistaking he is a huge upgrade over Banda/Rumph. Based on the performance of the Strikers, Patke is likely a big upgrade over Baker as well. If anybody has reviewed the video of Aristide coaching body positioning and technique they will see he will be good as well. Shoop will be gameplanning and assisting as well to take duties away from Diaz. It has already been mentioned how good Shoop's Defense was at MSU in 2018.

The defensive coaching has been upgraded. I don't get all of the incessant griping about the moves made on defense, including Patke.

I am content with guys not dropping the ball. Safe and reliable is all I ask for.
I'm not bont
I am content with guys not dropping the ball. Safe and reliable is all I ask for.
I'm not content with leaving return yards on the field because our coaches can't seem to find the right return guys on a roster loaded with talent.

Go Canes!!

Meh..I have said this numerous times..Finley was the most consistant player on D when he was at Striker those 2 years and this was a kid who was buried on the depth chart and had no place on the D prior to.

And Frierson was about a second away from transferring according to some sources and now he is probably a top 2 returning starter on D. (Bolden is probably #1)

You can hate Patke for being a bad recruiter and can even say he is overrated as a ST coach because Lou and Jose were studs before they even got to him but to say he isnt making strides as far as development at the Striker position..? Highly questionable.
Finley was a 4 star guy with a Clemson offer. You guys act like he was a bum because we didn't use him effectively until his junior season. He's a 4 star guy who we developed into a decent player with no accolades and went undrafted. He was a talented guy who achieved decently here.

Gil is another 4 star guy with lots of great offers. He had less than 50 tackles last year and no INT. He played pretty well, but, again, you guys are overselling what he did. He looked like a complete fool against UNC. He had an OK season on a D that was putrid, so his OK season looked better than it was.

Finley was a 4 star guy with a Clemson offer. You guys act like he was a bum because we didn't use him effectively until his junior season. He's a 4 star guy who we developed into a decent player with no accolades and went undrafted. He was a talented guy who achieved decently here.

Gil is another 4 star guy with lots of great offers. He had less than 50 tackles last year and no INT. He played pretty well, but, again, you guys are overselling what he did. He looked like a complete fool against UNC. He had an OK season on a D that was putrid, so his OK season looked better than it was.
Right. This guy is a coaching savant because he got a couple athletic kids to actually make a few plays. I would expect him to have multiple first rounders he's developed the way they talk about him. **** is Rumph all over again.

Advertisement
Hold up... You were critical of the lack of recruiters on the defensive side of the ball like we had coaches who couldn't recruit but could develop and call a game? Please tell me I misunderstood what u were saying...

I get what you’re saying. I’m saying we went from not having that to now having recruiters

Funny that Patke is drawing criticism over special teams when Jesus Christ himself could not help Baxa or Feagles kick or punt better. I haven't followed them at their new destinations but it is highly likely they are still struggling. They both sucked that bad! Apparently neither Likens nor Patke can help Pope learn how to catch the ball either and Likens has had an impressive history as a coach.

I understand that we don't award credit to a coach for players who are already developed transferring in. Patke should get at least some credit for Hedley because he was certainly kicking a different ball before he got here. As noted, the main issue with special teams is returns. Patke has had good returners since he has been here. Some folks here are expecting a coach to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Nobody could predict Pope would be that bad. He tried 4 different players at punt returner last year. Well Tyrique Stevenson is coming in not only to be a starting CB, but also to be a punt returner this year. On another note, of course Strikers have had a couple bad games here or there, like the rest of the defense. They have still been the best performing unit on the defense.

Other than Baker being a very bad fit here, he was a horrendous playcaller. He called way too much zone in comparison to Diaz in previous years resulting in a very noticeable decline on defense. Baker was a fish out of water here in every aspect of his job. Playcalling alone will improve the defense without even mentioning the big upgrades on coaches at each position group. Willing to bet each position group performs better with more aggressive playcalling, including more bump/press coverage, blitzing and better coaching.

Simpson is another ace that makes the back 7's jobs easier due to better gap integrity & outside contain (something our DE's sucked at under Stroud). Can't forget that the great stats this D put up in 2018 were with Simpson as DL coach. I believe communication between safeties and CB's will be better with TRob and there is no mistaking he is a huge upgrade over Banda/Rumph. Based on the performance of the Strikers, Patke is likely a big upgrade over Baker as well. If anybody has reviewed the video of Aristide coaching body positioning and technique they will see he will be good as well. Shoop will be gameplanning and assisting as well to take duties away from Diaz. It has already been mentioned how good Shoop's Defense was at MSU in 2018.

The defensive coaching has been upgraded. I don't get all of the incessant griping about the moves made on defense, including Patke.

If they’re not crying they’re dying.

I understand why many don’t want to believe that Patke is a good coach. He is one of Manny’s boys and therefore tainted in your eyes forever. But, for a moment, try and be open minded about the possibility.

Consider that, after Manny announced he was taking the Temple job, Mark Richt immediately promoted Patke to Co-DC after having spent just one or maybe two years on the staff as a position coach. Patke went from GA/Analyst to Co-DC in just two years or so. That’s impressive.

Sure, it’s possible that Richt was lazy, but it’s even more likely that Richt recognized Patke was a good teacher and possessed a smart football mind. Richt was an experienced HC and, while not immune to poor hiring decisions, can recognize talent. Heck, even DSD has stated Patke knows his X’s and O’s but simply cannot relate to players when it comes to recruiting.

We all know Patke is a mediocre at best recruiter, but there is a strong probability that he is a good coach and can develop talent.

We will know one way or another this upcoming season. I’m hopeful Patke can improve the worse performing unit on the team. I’m also hopeful Aristide and others can bring in better talent that Patke can work with

I personally find special teams play overrated, since a lot of penalties happen there. The game obviously has started to move away from it, with more and more teams opting to go for it on 4th down instead of playing field position.

The biggest issues we have are guys fielding punts. It comes down to decision making and thats a lot on the player. I saw Pope and Harley sometimes run under balls trying to find it and, as a result, had poor positioning and muffed it. KJ Osborn looked comfortable as **** catching punts, the other two were ****ting their pants every time the ball was in the air.

I am surprised how rarely we let punts bounce, especially short ones. NFL players just scream "Peter" and get the heck out of the way if they arent sure about catching ones. Muffed punts can be huge momentum shifts, so if you arent sure about the ball location, just get away and dont try to slide under one.

Now, here is the thing: Practicing punt returns is usually something thats done in the offseason. We had that cut short last season. So this will probably improve next season. However, better decision making goes a long way, so I would rather have a guy that moves away instead of trying to catch a difficult ball and drop it (which means, no more Pope).

Advertisement
Thomas fumbled once and now he is a untrustworthy returner?
I’ve seen ST, Parrish and Hester muff punts. We know this year was horrid. When you have head cases it’s very little a coach can do. Baxa and that other lil boy were just that. Guys dropping punts is not on a ******* coach. Just like wrs dropping passes is not on a **** wr coach...man idk whose baby moms from cis Patke been smashing in the hect but y’all gotta chill 😂

I understand why many don’t want to believe that Patke is a good coach. He is one of Manny’s boys and therefore tainted in your eyes forever. But, for a moment, try and be open minded about the possibility.

Consider that, after Manny announced he was taking the Temple job, Mark Richt immediately promoted Patke to Co-DC after having spent just one or maybe two years on the staff as a position coach. Patke went from GA/Analyst to Co-DC in just two years or so. That’s impressive.

Sure, it’s possible that Richt was lazy, but it’s even more likely that Richt recognized Patke was a good teacher and possessed a smart football mind. Richt was an experienced HC and, while not immune to poor hiring decisions, can recognize talent. Heck, even DSD has stated Patke knows his X’s and O’s but simply cannot relate to players when it comes to recruiting.

We all know Patke is a mediocre at best recruiter, but there is a strong probability that he is a good coach and can develop talent.

We will know one way or another this upcoming season. I’m hopeful Patke can improve the worse performing unit on the team. I’m also hopeful Aristide and others can bring in better talent that Patke can work with
Only question on Patke is recruiting. That’s absolutely it. Coaching Patke is good with me.

Advertisement
I’ve seen ST, Parrish and Hester muff punts. We know this year was horrid. When you have head cases it’s very little a coach can do. Baxa and that other lil boy were just that. Guys dropping punts is not on a ******* coach. Just like wrs dropping passes is not on a **** wr coach...man idk whose baby moms from cis Patke been smashing in the hect but y’all gotta chill 😂
I'm sure there's some silly *** comment this addresses why you would bring up seeing devin,sean or roscoe muff punts. Kids are humans no matter how y'all people feel about it. They're going to make mistakes. The differences would be in the details. For instance the people you mentioned, while you point out a mistake you also have to look at the details. Any mistakes you seen out of them would be it came from aggression. It came because they were dogs who were always looking to attack and step on the opponents necks... They were all world,all american level performers & u may have a fvck up once in a blue. If u don't take that chance then ur also taking away the all world. However when you look at these dudes now its a different story. With Jeff his ****ups came from bad mechanics and aggression. With these dudes since it comes cause none of them have been prepared. Big difference.

I'm sure there's some silly *** comment this addresses why you would bring up seeing devin,sean or roscoe muff punts. Kids are humans no matter how y'all people feel about it. They're going to make mistakes. The differences would be in the details. For instance the people you mentioned, while you point out a mistake you also have to look at the details. Any mistakes you seen out of them would be it came from aggression. It came because they were dogs who were always looking to attack and step on the opponents necks... They were all world,all american level performers & u may have a fvck up once in a blue. If u don't take that chance then ur also taking away the all world. However when you look at these dudes now its a different story. With Jeff his ****ups came from bad mechanics and aggression. With these dudes since it comes cause none of them have been prepared. Big difference.
I agree. I was in the OB as a jit when ST muffed that **** vs Tenn..like u said difference is he was a great player and surely made up for it.

But my point was that type of **** happens to the best of them. So when fans bring up mistakes these kids makeits easy to forget when some of the greatest made these same blunders in big games. I bring up ST because that lost might’ve even cost us a natty run that year. But he surely didn’t let that one mistake define him They’re humans. we got fans who wanted to burry Harley early in the szn. Now they want Pope n Wiggins to never see a snap again. Just beating dead horses around here

Here we go again! The never ending miami fans bashing coaches! Again, Manny and his boys all have mayor flaws, but lets not forget that the same people here talking **** about Manny and trash boys.. either bashed the Jimmys and Butchs or had a hand on the begining of the end of Miami Football by wanting the hiring of cooker, randy and folden. If Manny and his “trash” boys win we all win if they loose we all lose. I just dont get it!

Someone’s gonna have to explain to me how our punt coverage sucked when last year we had the #1 net punting average IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT.

Maybe that’s all because of the right foot of Australian jesus and Patke had nothing to do with it - but I’m just saying, poor punt coverage should not be used as ammo in the “fire the last of manny’s boys” ****nal.
You can thank the Auusie for the historical #'s.

Had nothing to do with lane discipline and tackling.

We could have fielded a punt return team that was full of walk ons and had the same exact net #'s.

The Aussie was really that good.

Go Canes!!

Advertisement
Back