Patke discusses progress of LB's, special teams this spring

Miami of old athleticism. Can Patke find a way to make him effective?

I can think of CB coach who just got moved aside with the same rep. Finley and Frierson looked decent at Striker, so maybe there's hope. But I am super skeptical. Haven't liked the Patke move to a position coach since day one.

If Patke strikes out across Brooks, Huff and Cave, we can label him a JAG coach once and for all. If he goes 1 for 3, I personally would consider it a combination of luck and the player's internal drive, won't give Patke any credit. I need to see 2 of the3 to hit to believe Patke deserves to be on the field at Miami.
Sounds like nothing Patke does will make you happy...

Advertisement
Miami of old athleticism. Can Patke find a way to make him effective?

I can think of CB coach who just got moved aside with the same rep. Finley and Frierson looked decent at Striker, so maybe there's hope. But I am super skeptical. Haven't liked the Patke move to a position coach since day one.

If Patke strikes out across Brooks, Huff and Cave, we can label him a JAG coach once and for all. If he goes 1 for 3, I personally would consider it a combination of luck and the player's internal drive, won't give Patke any credit. I need to see 2 of the3 to hit to believe Patke deserves to be on the field at Miami.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance.

Lmao reading through this thread...

You guys are either naive or in full denial mode.

Read the quote: At WILL, we have older guys and young guys behind them. You have Waynmon Steed who has been here a while, knows the defense, exactly what to do. Then Avery Huff coming along at WILL. He’s made great strides this spring, is standing out in my mind. He has really picked it up mentally and is getting aligned right, understanding what his job is.”

There it is; whatever your wishful thinking was, that’s just not the reality.

I have no doubt that Corey Flagg is the smart, instinctual guy at MLB. If their #1 priority is having guys who know what their doing, he’s at the top of the list. The only time BJ Jennings would make a play was if they blitzed him and he accidentally ran right into the ball carrier. Otherwise he was just taking up space. At Will my dream is for them to move Keontra Smith there but if they’re intent at keeping him at striker maybe Huff can finally get some time. Brooks and Steed are jags at best.

Advertisement
I'd like to know WTF we ask our LB's to do. Playing LB is not that complicated. (it's mainly instinctual)
Young LB's make an impact all over the country.

We got guys still trying to pick-up the mental aspect of the position after being here for over a year.

We barely ask our LB's to cover the pass, so that's an entire aspect right there that they basically skip. So WTF are they still learning?
It ain't like we do a bunch of **** on defense. We're pretty basic.

Last edited:
I'd to know WTF we ask our LB's to do. Playing LB is not that complicated. (it's mainly instinctual)

We got guys still trying to pick-up the mental aspect of the position after being here for over a year.

We barely ask our LB's to cover the pass, so that's an entire aspect right there that they basically skip. So WTF are they still learning?
especially with so much 2x2/3x1 nowadays. How hard is it to line up and play lol...

I doubt he gets injured on kickoff kneeling or fair catching lol. Part of the deal was him returning punts , I mentioned that when i was hinting at the mystery cb. He wants to be a returner too.

Btw I told y’all to watch Cave this year.

No inside sources, but I get the feeling he transfers out if he doesn't start...it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up someplace like Rutgers which appear to be recruiting well thus far.

Advertisement
Well crap, I thought we were beating Bama until I read this thread. Are guys not flying around making plays?

Advertisement
I'd like to know WTF we ask our LB's to do. Playing LB is not that complicated. (it's mainly instinctual)

I think you answered your own question, Coach. It’s mainly instinctual. Manny and his guys have recruited a bunch of guys who didn’t play linebacker in high school under the assumption that they can coach them up but that’s not happening. Especially when guys who have been here the longest are often the worst at diagnosing plays. They put a premium on athleticism at the expense of everything else and they have a bunch of guys who can run to the wrong spot really fast. Maybe the answer is to start recruiting high school safeties that have the frames to add some weight? Maybe hone in on guys who play off the ball mainly? I don’t know but last year was the first time I have ever seen Miami linebackers look lost so much. There’s been some lean years where they trotted out slow guys or little guys but man, I’ve never seen guys play as poorly as they did last year.

Advertisement
I doubt he gets injured on kickoff kneeling or fair catching lol. Part of the deal was him returning punts , I mentioned that when i was hinting at the mystery cb. He wants to be a returner too.

Btw I told y’all to watch Cave this year.
Didn't hear much on Cave in scrimmage #1, but I'm big on him as well.

Lmao reading through this thread...

You guys are either naive or in full denial mode.

Read the quote: At WILL, we have older guys and young guys behind them. You have Waynmon Steed who has been here a while, knows the defense, exactly what to do. Then Avery Huff coming along at WILL. He’s made great strides this spring, is standing out in my mind. He has really picked it up mentally and is getting aligned right, understanding what his job is.”

There it is; whatever your wishful thinking was, that’s just not the reality.
Honestly, I don't know what to make of it. The same thing was said about the older guys last year. Knowing what to do and executing are two completely different things. In games, at times, they didn't always look like they knew what to do or were too slow at figuring it out and most importantly were too slow to make the play where it needed to be made.

We need LBs out there that can make plays. The older guys may make less mistakes, but I think the younger guys will make a lot more plays. By making plays, I mean tackles for 3 yards or less.

Advertisement
Back