Pate hits the Nail on the Head

Advertisement
This is the classic false choice fallacy designed to make viewers believe that the options are limited or black and white when, in fact, the reality is different. The variables as to why a kid chooses to go to a particular school, why he chooses to take an NIL deal, vary, are fluid, and can change much like coaches at a particular program who also come and go. It's not purely "take the money with questionable development" vs "take less money and receive great coaching". Those choices are designed to push a narrative.

Is developing WRs exclusive to OSU? What if the same receivers all went to Pitt with a 5 star QB and a 5 star O-line? They don’t have a monopoly on development, they (top 5 schools) have a monopoly on the talent.

And think of this. Alabama sends roughly 50% of its starters to the NFL. You can be a starter at "the greatest program in college football history" and still your odds of getting into the NFL are a coin flip. Imagine the 50% that turned down NIL to get "developed" only to find that there was no pay day at the end of the tunnel, while Alabama made obscene amounts of money off your time and effort.

These schools promising deferred payments (NFL money) while actively profiting off the kids **** me off something else. Never go into business with someone who promises someone else will pay you later for a job you're doing now for them.

Advertisement
He’s full of ****….this whole “developing players” narrative is a correlation to consistently recruiting a hugely disproportionate amount of the top players. OSU/GA/ALA aren’t turning three stars into first rounders, they just happen to land 50 out of the top 100 kids every year, and those guys end up going to the NFL.
This.

Programs like TCU, Cincinnati, Utah, etc are really developers who aren’t ever in top 25 final recruiting classes yet liter the NFL draft with quality draft picks…

Bama didn’t become bama until they started stacking top 5 classes, Jawja didn’t become who they are and able to overcome their HCs shortcomings intil they stacked top 3 talent

I disagree with him. OSU and Clemson boosters love this though.

He’s basically reinforcing the exploitation that’s been happening at these schools.

OSU can easily match what Miami is offering but they don’t want to because they are OSU.

It’s like reputable companies and government agencies using the scam of unpaid internships.

Hey intern and it looks good on the resume but yeah work for free.

Why can’t I go to a place that compensated me what the market says AND have a staff I feel that will develop me?

What he doesn’t say is when you forfeit the bag or get a smaller one to go to a school like Bama and unless you are true superstar you will likely see limited playing time your first couple of years; thus having to transfer to school that will feature you.

This concept of development needs to be tested. How many 3 star receivers have Hartline “developed” into a 1,2,3 round grade by the nfl. Is Hartline saying anything different than other WR coaches?

Easy to look as a star position coach when all you are dealing with are 5 and high 4 star recruits

Advertisement
I think people see made up stuff on twitter and it turns into a game of telephone and all of a sudden fans of every team assume that players their team doesn't land got offered a magical 7 figure bag. Most players are getting something but businesses require a ROI and outside of QB, there's no position on the team worth nearly what people are quoting on here

We have the ability to do that, but mario is winning this class due to his recruiting accumen, not because we're paying more

This has always been the case.

Before NIL it was blaming “bags”.

He’s full of ****….this whole “developing players” narrative is a correlation to consistently recruiting a hugely disproportionate amount of the top players. OSU/GA/ALA aren’t turning three stars into first rounders, they just happen to land 50 out of the top 100 kids every year, and those guys end up going to the NFL.
Exactly…Dabo is a great case study for this.

Dude was considered a Corch until one day he wasn’t.

And the day he stopped being a Corch is When he started landing the top QB in the nation along with top prospects.

He and his staff didn’t pull off some miracle development of Trevor Lawerence and made him into the top over pick any more than he and his staff developed DJ Ugaglaudihabaud.

DJ Ugaglaudihabaud.
1662479772788.png

Advertisement
Mario literally called him and asked him to go on a rant about the talent was the issue at Miami not coaching and he did it lol he even said on air Mario called him. You’re giving him too much credit. You think it’s a coincidence that tweet got on Innis radar that fast____its literally the argument Ohio state is selling to him on why to choose them over Miami. Come on man.
No personal knowledge but I’m going with something close to this. Many players might not be getting some of the rumored numbers but they are getting a lot more than nothing and it’s not just the QBs.

I think people see made up stuff on twitter and it turns into a game of telephone and all of a sudden fans of every team assume that players their team doesn't land got offered a magical 7 figure bag. Most players are getting something but businesses require a ROI and outside of QB, there's no position on the team worth nearly what people are quoting on here

We have the ability to do that, but mario is winning this class due to his recruiting accumen, not because we're paying more

If Miami has the $$$$$$ to give then out bit your opponent. This is about bringing in talent and winning the portal. Not pinching pennies. The rich get richer. We can finally compete in the $$ bags market.

Advertisement
And attitudes like that are exactly why absent a playoff expansion, we could expect a rotating cast of Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma in the national championship tournament for decades and decades to come.

It’s the Alabama conundrum. Have a team with 15-24 5 star players each year and the rest four star players, and because you are so dominating you look superlative to NFL scouts. And you get overdrafted, because whether you were a first rounder or not you looked incredible by virtue of the superlative talent around you. Not the development or coaching (although it is good).

Advertisement
Back