2023 Pat Burrell........

Advertisement
I was working down around Clearwater when he had just started playing with the Clearwater Phillies. A friend and I walked into this beach bar and this big dude says, "Hey, you like the Phillies?" I said, "Yeah." and walked off. A minute later same big dude walks up behind me at the beach bar and asks me again if I'm a Phillies fan. I said, "Yeah. Pat Burrell is going to be a good player." Big dude says, "That's ME!"

Needless to say, he looked different dressed like Jimmy Buffett. We hung out a while. Talked baseball, music, I was doing some studio work at the time, and just had a few drinks and shot the crap. He invited me to a game and I ended up with one of his home runs balls. Seemed like a really cool guy.

Advertisement
I was working down around Clearwater when he had just started playing with the Clearwater Phillies. A friend and I walked into this beach bar and this big dude says, "Hey, you like the Phillies?" I said, "Yeah." and walked off. A minute later same big dude walks up behind me at the beach bar and asks me again if I'm a Phillies fan. I said, "Yeah. Pat Burrell is going to be a good player." Big dude says, "That's ME!"

Needless to say, he looked different dressed like Jimmy Buffett. We hung out a while. Talked baseball, music, I was doing some studio work at the time, and just had a few drinks and shot the crap. He invited me to a game and I ended up with one of his home runs balls. Seemed like a really cool guy.

Great story.

Pat seems like a great dude. I was at a Phillies vs FSU spring game when Ryan Howard was a youngster. During the game Mike Martin intentionally walked Pat as a nod to the problems he caused him while at Miami.

Once the starters were out, they convened in the tiki bar for the rest of the game. Utley watched the game from the seats out there, Pat chatted it up with fans, took Howard under his wing, and kept the co-eds and others from flocking him too much and others like Rollins and Jon Lieber sat at the bar with fans like me and shot the ****.

Fun times.

Last edited:
Great story.

Pat seems like a great dude. I was at a Phillies vs FSU spring game when Ryan Howard was a youngster. During the game Mike Martin intentionally walked Pat as a nod to the problems he caused him while at Miami.

Once the starters were out, they convened in the tiki bar for the rest of the game. Utley watched the game from the seats out there, Pat chatted it up with fans, took Howard under his wing, and kept the co-eds and others from flocking him too much and others like Rollins and Jon Lieber sat at the bar with fans like me and shot the ****.

Fun times.
Somewhere l still have the Clearwater Phillies hat he signed for me. He was a cool guy. Although, when he mentioned getting into a mosh pit, I was glad I wasn't in it. hehe

Advertisement
Burrell makes that throw from third to first in the 7th inning with two outs of the 1996 CWS final, and we get out of the inning instead of the throwing error which allowed LSU more men on base and the start of their comeback.

Of course, most people remember the Morris HR, but the Burrell throwing error sticks out for me the most. He makes that throw, we're out of the 7th inning with a 7-3 lead.

1:53:04

Pat Burrell is the greatest baseball player of all time.

Best college player I have ever seen play and it isn’t even close. He was a freshman my last year at UM. He didn’t seem real.
I used to hang out with Pat alot....The HR he hit in the regional is the longest I've ever seen a ball hit at the Light. @WanderFranco knows the one I'm talking about. One thing is undeniable....Pat had the finest women in the History of UM Athletics....I'm talking smokin fine....Lol

Advertisement
Burrell makes that throw from third to first in the 7th inning with two outs of the 1996 CWS final, and we get out of the inning instead of the throwing error which allowed LSU more men on base and the start of their comeback.

Of course, most people remember the Morris HR, but the Burrell throwing error sticks out for me the most. He makes that throw, we're out of the 7th inning with a 7-3 lead.

1:53:04

I hated this game. I was in the stands in Right field right by where it was hit. Such a frustrating game after the Error

Advertisement
Back