Pat Bethel... make room for the young guys.

The coaches have already alluded to giving Chigoze more snaps. We've got some solid DTs but nobody that really looks special yet.

Advertisement
Garvin's not doing enough because Garvin doesn't have help like he did the 2 previous years. Makes a big different that Gerald Willis is gone now. Offenses are scheming against him.
Maybe, but I just Don’t think he’s playing hard enough. Even when he has 1 on 1s he’s not doing anything

Last edited:
Bethel and Chig have been completely underwhelming this year.

Miller was in there and absolutely collapsed the pocket on his down. Would love to see him play more.

Advertisement
Pat is a Legacy Cane, and the kid has done all he's been asked to do, namely gaining weight to switch positions after coming in as a DE...

However, the kid has sucked at DT, and is pretty much serving the role of an underwhelming stop gap. All of the stats Bethel has racked up over the years have been based on other players flushing the pocket into his lap...

I have yet to see Bethel bull-rush a guy, or display an ounce of quickness to split a double team, or at the very least - jump a snap perfectly, to make a play in the backfield... kid hasnt developed a signature nitch as a DT whatsoever... AND, as it wasn't a natural position for him, it aint all his fault.

That said, its time to stop dedicating so many minutes to Bethel... We have to get #91 and #99 on the field a whole lot more...

I do like the idea of stop gap DT type, only when paired with another interior D-Tackle that has quickness/pass-rushing capabilities...similarly to the McIntosh/Norton combo we had; wherein McIntosh provided the pass-rushing skills/quickness off the ball.

#96 can be categorized as a Stop gap guy also, but at least his size and brut strength allows him to be a formidable player.... but when paired with Bethel, it can create a less than favorable scenario for us, due to the lack of disruption up front.

In My opinion, Bethel should be part of a rotation - being generous... In reality, if the kid was an underclassman, based on what he brings, he'd see the field when Ford gets tired.

#99 brings quickness at the position, and #91 is quicker than Bethel, and packs a bigger punch as well!!

Again, kudos to Bethel for his contribution, for not being a trouble maker, etc...

But we need to see change here in my opinion.... what do u guys think?

Until & unless someone else can TAKE his job...they are exactly where they belong....on the bench

Play your best players

You should earn a position at Miami

Nesta Silvera is officially out of his boot now so hopefully he should be able to play really soon

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nesta is the best DT in the ACC
Because he pushed some HS All Americans around in a couple practices without pads, or because he talks shiit and has gold teeth? I know you didn't get this from watching him in actual game footage from last year.

KrazyCane said:
Nesta is the best DT in the ACC

Because he pushed some HS All Americans around in a couple practices without pads, or because he talks shiit and has gold teeth? I know you didn't get this from watching him in actual game footage from last year.

WHAT!!?.......That's a fact Jack!!! ......There is no doubt about it!!

The gold teeth cinched it for me

Maybe, but I just Don’t think he’s playing hard enough. Even when he has 1 on 1s he’s not doing anything
I dont think its a lack of playing hard. His production has been down for a while now. He started off last year hot but cooled down around midseason and hasn't done much since.

I mean Bethel was never an elite player, I don’t think anyone thought he would be. He does just enough to serve as a D1 defensive tackle

Advertisement
I dont think its a lack of playing hard. His production has been down for a while now. He started off last year hot but cooled down around midseason and hasn't done much since.
Yep even when willis and Jackson was here last season he only had 0.5 sacks 4.5 tfls in the last 6 games which obviously isn’t good

Advertisement
Back